New Here New to BMW Help! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2020, 01:02 AM   #1
Dstokes

New Here New to BMW Help!

Hi everyone. First time here and first time ever having to post on any type of forum. My son just saved up and bought his first vehicle. 2007 BMW X3 3.0si. He's had it for 5 months but has only put 2000KM on it.
4 nights ago we started it up after it sitting for a week or so and drove it to my shop. He got seat covers for Christmas and wanted to install them. On the way there the check engine light came on. We drove it back home (10 minute drive) and parked it. Next day I got my code reader but the car wouldn't start. Would crank over like crazy but wouldn't fire. Plugged code reader and had 2 codes P0304 cylinder 4 misfire, and P16C1 engine control module self test torque monitoring fault. Check engine light on and "EML" light which sounds like it's a safety feature? Figured car wouldn't start because it was too cold (-35 Celsius) pushed it into the garage and left overnight. Next day tried to start it, turns over strong but no fire. Cleared codes and tried again. Still no fire but got new codes this time. P1632 throttle valve adaptation condition not met and P1417 throttle control incorrect air supply and P1636 throttle valve control circuit.

I've tried about everything I can think of. Checked fuses under the hood on drivers side, listened in front of drivers rear tire to confirm fuel pump engaging, checked fuses in glove box (didn't see any relays) battery is strong too try's to crank over really well and sounds like it will almost fire.

I have stripped the air cleaner out and am at the throttle body now. When I turn the key on I don't get any movement from the flapper inside. I can easily move it by hand though. Tried the TPS reset but it did nothing. I read with the EML on the throttle won't open? I pulled the fuses for the EML light but it wouldn't go out and stay out. Tried disconnecting the battery for half hour to reset ECM and still EML light and no start. When we did the seat covers we had back seat bench out and seen a bunch of wires but sounds like they are for shipping from factory.

I have an upset 15 year old boy who thinks he spent his hard earned money on a lemon and a frustrated dad lol. I live in a small community with really no options for repair shop and the closest BMW is 4+ hours away. I'm starting to worry we have a major issues. Someone please help!

Dstokes
***x1f1e8;***x1f1e6;
Dstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Caperix

When the check engine light came on how was it running? Sense you also have a misfire fault stored, try unplugging the cyl number 4 coil. I have seen a few coils short out & cause a no start.
Caperix is offline   Reply With Quote