Oil leaking at oil filter housing no matter what I do. - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #21
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Now go get a gallon of degreaser and a spray bottle, time to clean up the mess in your engine compartment so you can diagnose your next oil leak. lol.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #22
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Don't worry, your not the first to fall for this one.

Same thing happens with the power steering cap, there is an O-ring on it that gets hard and molded into the cap and you would swear there is no O-ring there, but it is!

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #23
TerryH

My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Called it, in post #4!
In post #2 I suggested he clean out the groove for O-ring.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 PM   #24
amolvb

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Oil leaking from O-ring

After nearly 10 years of changing the oil on my own on my 2004 325xi, I am experiencing this issue of the oil leaking from the o-ring in the oil filter cap. I am fairly certain that I do not have two O-rings on the cap. I even removed the o-ring that I had installed and tried with the bare (in my understanding) cap to pre-empt the possibility that I have two O-rings but all in vain.

I even purchased a new NAPA Platinum filter and tried the gasket with it but still no luck. I have purchased the Ultra Black Permatex sealant as the last DIY resort.

Do any of you have any options I could try before applying the sealant? Attached is the picture of my oil filter cap without the O-Ring installed.

-Amol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	621761  
amolvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #25
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Oil leaking at oil filter housing no matter what I do.

You do know there is an o-ring on there in the picture right? It has been there a really long time and is flattened into the groove.

Window Regulator Help:

Axle Shaft Replacement:

Red Oil Light!!:

MrPhilidelphia’s Temperature Gauge Improvements:

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 01-10-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #26
Yewzer B Lewzer

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1452480352.608021.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	621764

Sorry you've been doing it wrong for 10 years.

Window Regulator Help:

Axle Shaft Replacement:

Red Oil Light!!:

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 01-10-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #27
amolvb

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Yewzer,

You are right in both posts. Fixed the problem by removing the flattened o-ring. Thank you for confirming what my wife thinks. ***55357;***56838;
amolvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #28
rsyed07

My Ride: E92 335is, E46 330i
Similar thing happened to me with my power steering O-ring. Had to pry the old one off but it took an extra glance to figure out there was a o-ring there already.

330i ZSP | ZPP | ZCW

rsyed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #29
Yewzer B Lewzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolvb View Post
Yewzer,

You are right in both posts. Fixed the problem by removing the flattened o-ring. Thank you for confirming what my wife thinks. ***55357;***56838;

Lol if we all took stock in what our wives thought of us we wouldn't be able to keep a 10 year old BMW running for longer than it takes to use a tank of gas.

Window Regulator Help:

Axle Shaft Replacement:

Red Oil Light!!:

Old 01-13-2016, 12:02 AM   #30
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolvb View Post
Attached is the picture of my oil filter cap without the O-Ring installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
You do know there is an o-ring on there in the picture right?

Don't sweat it, guys. A silly oversight and simple fix is better than a more complex problem.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #31
Voortman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Hey Yewser, can you please post that whole drawing showing a cut-away of the oil filter housing? I'm trying to see how it all works. Thanks.
Voortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #32
Yewzer B Lewzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by voortman View Post
hey yewser, can you please post that whole drawing showing a cut-away of the oil filter housing? I'm trying to see how it all works. Thanks.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467854970.672328.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	636178

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467854984.595301.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	636179

Found the images searching "m54 oil filter housing"

Window Regulator Help:

Axle Shaft Replacement:

Red Oil Light!!:

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 07-06-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:21 PM   #33
Voortman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Thanks. I'm reading the patent as we speak. The colored flow arrows are not completely correct in that image based on the patent's description.
Voortman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, gasket, housing, leak, oil