New BMW TwinPower Turbo 5w30 Oil - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
cpobimmer

My Ride: 2005 325i
New BMW TwinPower Turbo 5w30 Oil

Hey everyone, I searched around and can't find any threads that go into detail about the new BMW (Shell) oil.
Here's my ride:
2005 325i
166,000 miles
Oil changes between 7.5-10K miles depending on type of miles driven and what the computer says is left on it.
Filter changes usually around 4-5K on top of a new one with the oil change.

Here's my question, I was about 6,000 miles on my second oil change using Mobil 1 0W40 after using BMW 5W30 since I bought the car with 110K miles.
Long story short I had to take it in to the dealership to get a new oil pan gasket (please don't ask how much it cost, it makes me sick just thinking about it).
It was a slow leak and I was only adding around a quart of oil per 5K miles.
The dealer had a "special" (89$) and said they wanted to do an oil change with the "super fantastic, incredible, nothing is better, oil of the future" instead of putting the old stuff back in because it was "dirty."
So I get the car back and it's running great and no leaks anywhere.
I check my oil about once a week before heading into work in the morning.
It's been about 2K miles since it was in the shop.
The oil seems to be burning off much quicker than the Mobil 1 or the previous BMW branded stuff. I'm just about at the bottom mark on the dipstick.
I'm just wondering if anyone else is seeing higher than usual oil loss with the new stuff and whether I should just go back to Mobil 1 (because let's be honest being able to pick up two 5 gallon jugs for $50 from pretty much anywhere is a lot better than the $60+ shipping from ECS or Pelican or any other online shop)?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays everyone!

p.s. Sorry if this isn't in the right place

Last edited by cpobimmer; 12-09-2015 at 10:18 PM.
cpobimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Happy holidays to you too.

There's nothing "special" about the latest North American dealer oil that will give you an advantage/justify the price premium over Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol Edge 0W-40. Use either one with a quality Mann or Mahle filter and enjoy 10K mile intervals knowing your engine is well protected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Knight; 12-10-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:41 AM   #3
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: 6MT
Have you replaced your CCV system? The oil you use for the most part shouldn't have a huge effect on oil burn rate if you're going up by 10 in weight

'03 325 6MT Estoril Blue

KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendrickC View Post
Have you replaced your CCV system? The oil you use for the most part shouldn't have a huge effect on oil burn rate if you're going up by 10 in weight
Far less than 10 as M1 0W40 is a very thin 40W. Dont get caught up in advertised viscosities, look at the specs.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
cpobimmer

Thanks guys.
No work on the engine/oil system.
Just a new T-stat and water pump a few thousand miles ago.
The reason I asked about the oil is I recently read about how BMW says 1 qt. of oil per 750 miles in some of its newest engines is acceptable. To me that seems ridiculously insane but that's just me.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpobimmer View Post
The reason I asked about the oil is I recently read about how BMW says 1 qt. of oil per 750 miles in some of its newest engines is acceptable. To me that seems ridiculously insane but that's just me.
It's not just you. That is an absurd claim for a manufacturer to make and they are trying to sweep bad engineering under the rug.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: 6MT
What sprintman and knight have said is completely true. Check your CCV system it may be the culprit.

'03 325 6MT Estoril Blue

KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
cpobimmer

Thank you guys very much for the insight. I'll take a look at the CCV this wkd.

Tags
bmw, oil, turbo, twinpower