How Long Should The Oil Pressure Light Stay On At Startup? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
cpobimmer

My Ride: 2005 325i
How Long Should The Oil Pressure Light Stay On At Startup?

So for the past two months, I have noticed my oil pressure light (RED) stays on longer than it used to (1-3 seconds). I have no trouble with the pressure once it's on.
Once it's been started, when I start it again after getting gas or running in somewhere, the oil pressure light goes out immediately.
Long story short, I replaced the oil filter housing hoping the check valve had failed and that's why there was additional time for the OPL to go out.
It does not seem to be the case but I did notice the drainback valve in the OFH was cockeyed when I pulled it out.

I put together a quick video of some startups to give you an idea of what I'm talking about (sorry about the quality).

Any help would be greatly appreciated to tell me I'm crazy or it's an issue (maybe with a possible solution).

Thanks for looking.

In case the video doesn't embed:

******** width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pdw-aaM_xko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>*********>
cpobimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Eh that's fine. nothing to worry about

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
cpobimmer

I hope you're right.
One reason I'm worried is in the other threads I've read, it seems like a majority of the people say their OPL goes out immediate upon startup.
All my Blackstone Labs oil results seem fine according to them. They all have low levels of wear metals.
I guess I'm just overreacting for no reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
das_autobahn

My Ride: 2004 330ci coupe
just like mine
das_autobahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
Oh no this is showing signs of premature, yet intermittent, plastic oil tensioning plutonium radiating gasket rings, also known as a headmaster. Ok I don't know what I am saying here, your light is okay no need to worry
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Terraphantm had that issue recently, search for the thread. I believe he replaced his oil filter housing because the check valve had worn its cylinder and was sticking.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Terraphantm had that issue recently, search for the thread. I believe he replaced his oil filter housing because the check valve had worn its cylinder and was sticking.

I had a similar issue with my 2001 330Ci. Replaced the OFH as it seemed that the OFH check valve was bad. The OPL seems to go out quicker, but the issue was related to how long the car sat without being started. I'll check It today as it has sat unstated since Tuesday.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
To be safe, I'd replace the sensor, only $5 for OEM. Could be getting lazy.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
Mango

The physical act of the engine actually turning/running is how you develop oil pressure. You won't get instant pressure on startup. As long as you ran your engine the night before and it has good oil in it and coating the parts (particularly between bearing shells of the crank and connecting rods), you could actually theoretically run your engine just fine for 10-15 seconds "without" oil. Possibly longer. A second or two is nothing.

For people in very cold climates, there's basically no oil the first few seconds the engine is running. This is why they say startups are the most wear occurs. But that's over the lifetime of an engine.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 09-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Though I have no specific experience with it, I've heard the two small o-rings on the oil filter cap can affect this.

Mine is less than a second every time unless I just changed oil.

Window Regulator Help:

Axle Shaft Replacement:

Red Oil Light!!:

MrPhilidelphia’s Temperature Gauge Improvements:
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #11
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Looks fine to me

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #12
GabeB

My Ride: 2002 325ci
That's normal, carry on.
GabeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Eh that's fine. nothing to worry about
WRONG. You need to replace your entire oil filter housing as the check valve inside has failed.
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
Mango

just order a short block while you are at it

|
|
|

-
-
Old 09-23-2016, 09:09 PM   #15
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
The filter housings are surprisingly cheap for what they are. A high pressure power steering hose costs more.
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #16
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
This was mine when my drainback valve was bad:

I ended up replacing my OFH. Your's doesn't seem to be quite as bad

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 09-24-2016 at 07:05 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #17
cpobimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
This was mine when my drainback valve was bad:

I ended up replacing my OFH. Your's doesn't seem to be quite as bad
Once you replaced it, did your light go out immediately or did it still take 1/2-1 second before going out?

I went ahead and replaced the OFH.
No real difference in the light though.
I did find the drainback valve on the original OFH was a little cockeyed and wouldn't properly seal when it bounced back.

Thanks to everyone who's looked and offered their opinion.

Last edited by cpobimmer; 09-24-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #18
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
Though I have no specific experience with it, I've heard the two small o-rings on the oil filter cap can affect this.

Mine is less than a second every time unless I just changed oil.

No, those o-rings center the bottom part of the oil filter "holder" into the OFH. I know, I changed them first.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #19
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpobimmer View Post
Once you replaced it, did your light go out immediately or did it still take 1/2-1 second before going out?

I went ahead and replaced the OFH.
No real difference in the light though.
I did find the drainback valve on the original OFH was a little cockeyed and wouldn't properly seal when it bounced back.

Thanks to everyone who's looked and offered their opinion.
It's not instant, but it's not as long as before. I'd say 0.5-1s is accurate.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #20
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
Mine turns off right away with the battery light

-
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil filter housing, pressure