Yellow Oil Light Issues, Have Searched. Still Have Questions. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
Jerann

My Ride: BMW 325iT
Yellow Oil Light Issues, Have Searched. Still Have Questions.

Hello guys, this is my first post here and I've heard good and bad. So hopefully this won't become the bad.

I've read a good bit of threads from Google Searches pertaining to the multiple different Yellow Oil light indications you may get. Some due to faulty sensor, some due to oil levels being low and or high (as the expected function of the unit should be).

My question and issue lies here.

On startup, I have no yellow light. 10-15s idle time, it lights, stays on for maybe 30-45 seconds then the light goes back out.

Oil level is fine.
Car has OFH Leak and Vanos Line leak (Common I've heard), but the levels are fine.

Just 30 minutes ago, after startup I didn't have the light at all. The car sat for about 10 minutes (the same amount of time it's sat and lit the light before) started up, no light. I even filmed the cluster and I can post that if you guys need me too.

Anyways, any insight from you salty longtime owners would be great. I'm already pricing parts thru pelicanparts to situate my car.

Thanks in advance
Jerann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
If you're getting a light when you shouldn't and your level is fine it's time for a new sensor. Not an uncommon issue, and not a big deal. Pick one up and have it ready for install at your next oil change.
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Jerann

Outstanding, I guess the biggest question is why, at 188k, the sensor only does it sometimes. Like I said in the original post, the car does it at work, oddly enough but when I brought it home, stopped to shop and return home.

No light?

It's very odd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
ahmed_alghoul

My Ride: BMW M3 vert
Year: 2005
Model: E46 M3
Transmission: SMG
1-May i know how many kilometres or mail did the car run since last oil change .
2- when did you change the oil last time ( date )
3- what type and grade of oil did you use .

If the oil level is less than it should be the yellow light will keep on

But if it flash for a while then go it will be definitely time to change the oil .
Your answer will supports what I say.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
ahmed_alghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Jerann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed_alghoul View Post
1-May i know how many kilometres or mail did the car run since last oil change .
2- when did you change the oil last time ( date )
3- what type and grade of oil did you use .

If the oil level is less than it should be the yellow light will keep on

But if it flash for a while then go it will be definitely time to change the oil .
Your answer will supports what I say.

Hey, it's been about 3500 miles since the last oil change. I used a Synthetic 5w40, the light stays on VERY rarely, for about 30 seconds after the cars been running for at least 10-15 seconds.

The oil change was done at 185k, the cars now at 188k. It has a Oil Filter Housing leak, that's minimal, and the vanos line is leaking. Oil level is FINE, no issues whatsoever, it's dead on.

As of 6:30 today, and here about 20 minutes ago. The car has ran without any YELLOW OIL LIGHT INDICATION. At all, no on for a second then off. No light operation whatsoever, I have keep an eye on level due to the leaks.

Any input as to why it was, and now isn't showing any lights?
Old 12-23-2016, 01:58 AM   #6
RangerDave

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 257k
Year: 2000
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5MT
I just replaced my oil level sender for the second time in six years, and both times I did it for the same reasons you are experiencing. Sometimes you can drive for hours without the light coming on, and sometimes it comes on much sooner. I can't explain why, but I can almost guarantee that replacing your oil level sender will resolve the issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RangerDave; 12-23-2016 at 01:58 AM.
RangerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #7
allikanbe

My Ride: 2013 335is vert
I changed my sensor about a year or so ago and all was good. Now the yellow light comes on for a few seconds when I turn off the car. Oil level is good. It's just an annoying thing so i hit the dash gauge with a hammer and the light went out. all good. kidding, but the light annoys me.
I wonder if cleaning the electrical connector on the sensor with some electrical cleaner would help.=?

oh, and i hit the blue blinking low water level light on my keuring with a hammer too. frekin annoying.
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Sounds like a bad oil sensor, as mentioned. It's fine to run your oil until its next change and then change the sensor. Very easy...just three screws...but drain the oil first!

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Oil sensors can fail intermittently. Why? Who knows. Go to amazon and buy a Hella brand oil level sensor and gasket. Change it the next time you change the oil.

markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerann View Post
Hello guys, this is my first post here and I've heard good and bad. So hopefully this won't become the bad.

I've read a good bit of threads from Google Searches pertaining to the multiple different Yellow Oil light indications you may get. Some due to faulty sensor, some due to oil levels being low and or high (as the expected function of the unit should be).

My question and issue lies here.

On startup, I have no yellow light. 10-15s idle time, it lights, stays on for maybe 30-45 seconds then the light goes back out.

Oil level is fine.
Car has OFH Leak and Vanos Line leak (Common I've heard), but the levels are fine.

Just 30 minutes ago, after startup I didn't have the light at all. The car sat for about 10 minutes (the same amount of time it's sat and lit the light before) started up, no light. I even filmed the cluster and I can post that if you guys need me too.

Anyways, any insight from you salty longtime owners would be great. I'm already pricing parts thru pelicanparts to situate my car.

Thanks in advance

Classic oil level sending unit failure.

Turn the key to Position II (RUN) before engine start, the oil light is on to test the light.

Start the engine, the light goes out. This is the normal condition.

After about 20 seconds, the light comes on, remains on for 30-ish seconds then goes out. This is a failure mode of the sensor that monitors the oil level.

BMW considers itself the maker of fine automobiles, and its customers should not be burdened with the effort it takes to raise the hood and actually look underneath it from time to time. To this end, they installed sensors to monitor the oil level, coolant level, and washer fluid level. There is also a sensor to monitor the level of the brake fluid. Of these sensors, the low oil level sensor is the most troublesome. If gives false low oil indications from time to time.

Your options from here are to ignore it and physically check the oil level yourself, or to wait for the next regularly scheduled oil service and replace the sending unit while the oil pan is drained already. If you are of the school where you ought to raise the hood and actually look at the stuff it covers, then I would ignore the false indications that you are getting. Beware of the El Cheapo replacements. They can cause grief and lead you astray with, "I am getting low oil indications, but I replaced the sensor a year ago so it is good."
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Gosh, I just read one of the posts where the guy said, 'I replaced the sensor a year ago and now the light comes on once in a while, the sensor must be good because it is new.' El Cheapo Parts, Inc., has reared its ugly head once again.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #12
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
Year: 2003
Model: 325XI
Transmission: Manual
See post # 9. Buy a new sensor, call it a day.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
Hani

My Ride: 02 330i, 00 323i,
Typical Oil Level Sensor behavior! Purchase a known brand replacement and install it when you perform your next oil change, just make sure your oil level is OK and don't dismiss it to the bad sensor until you replace it. Just like the others have recommended
Hani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #14
Jerann

Hey guys,

Thanks I'm pretty sure it's the sensor now. It's rained since last night. Go out to start the car this morning checked oil (after leveling my car in neutral as to not get a false reading) still at max. Actually a bit past. Started the car light on at start. Stayed for about 25s then off. At this point I'm pretty sure it's sensor failure due to poor connection affected by humidity and such. This is a relief as I used to own a 4G63T car and am ok with checking oils and fluid (think our cars are bad. Own a 4G63T making some power).

Thanks for making my first experience here great guys.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #15
cwithbmw

My Ride: 2011 335i MHD/xHP
Curious that it comes on for that long. I've read and noticed with my broken sensor at least, that it comes on approx. 10-20 secs after car is turned on, and stays on for exactly 10 secs.

Definitely replace it.
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #16
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwithbmw View Post
Curious that it comes on for that long. I've read and noticed with my broken sensor at least, that it comes on approx. 10-20 secs after car is turned on, and stays on for exactly 10 secs.

Definitely replace it.
Mine would come on at a warm start and stay on for at least 30 sec before I replaced it in my '01. Lots of variations, but still the same issue.
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, oil, oil level sensor, yellow light