CCV symptoms - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Edvis1599
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 126
My Ride: E46 320i
Year: 2002
Model: E46 FL Touring
Transmission: Manual
CCV symptoms

Hello e46 family!

I know the ccv is a wery well known topic but i couldnt just find detailed information about how to spot a failling CCV system. In my case a have a pretty bad oil consumption in my E46 320i, M54B22. I have it for only around a month and i made around 1.6k miles with it since i bought it and changed the oil and oil filter. Since then i noticed that the oil is getting low pretty fast, i topped it up several times, and during that 1.6k miles range i burned around 2 quarts of oil. Theres a bit of a leak through the valve cover gasket, but really its nothing major, no drips of oil, no smell in the cabin. You can barelly see oil on the exhaust manifolds. Theres no visible leaks from under the car also. Although when the car is running doesnt matter is car warmed up or still cold it gives a little bit of smoke from the pipes, it also smokes a bit (nothing major) when you accelarate from the stop light.
So im thinking maybe my ccv is faulty? And i cant find nowhere how to properly check if it is faulty. Found some videos on youtube saying that you need to take off oil filling cap and if theres a major vacuum your ccv is faulty, but mines has no vacuum when i leave the car idling and take the cap off. I need a bit of clearence how to check that CCV, couse i dont think that this kind of oil consumption is normal....
Edvis1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:59 AM   #2
Sapote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: southern California
Posts: 2,907
My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
Remove all spark plugs lay them in same order and take and post pic. This will show how bad oil drinking.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:37 AM   #3
Edvis1599
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 126
My Ride: E46 320i
Year: 2002
Model: E46 FL Touring
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
Remove all spark plugs lay them in same order and take and post pic. This will show how bad oil drinking.


Hello, i dint have the tools needed to do that atm, but since i changed my spark plugs around 2k miles ago when i bought the car i dont think they will be somekinda affected. I have my old ones though, i dont have any records on when it was changed last time, but when i remowed them, tips of the sparkpluga was covered with smth like a black tar. Not all sparkplugs, like 3 of them. So that means my postons rings are bad? As i mentioned, i burned around 2 quarts in around 1,6k miles.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Edvis1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-29-2017, 03:21 AM   #4
bendoscopy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 723
My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Same engine and same symptoms as me. As the months get colder, I see a lot of white smoke from my tailpipes whilst at traffic lights. Sometimes embarrassingly so.

I used to see smoke in the warmer months too, but after fitting the 02 pilot vacuum tube mod (maybe read into this Ė but it isnít an ultimate solution) it drastically improved.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| drive tastefully
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
Edvis1599
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 126
My Ride: E46 320i
Year: 2002
Model: E46 FL Touring
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
Same engine and same symptoms as me. As the months get colder, I see a lot of white smoke from my tailpipes whilst at traffic lights. Sometimes embarrassingly so.

I used to see smoke in the warmer months too, but after fitting the 02 pilot vacuum tube mod (maybe read into this Ė but it isnít an ultimate solution) it drastically improved.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics


Hey! Did i get that right? You did o2 pilot mod and the oil consumption increased? I called my local bmw mechanic and he told me that i need to replace my ccv, and clean or replace those plastic hoses.
I considered doing o2 pilot mod but i guess ill wait till i get that system cleaned or replaced. Update me on it goes with your case. Btw ehat is your oil consumption?


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Edvis1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
bendoscopy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 723
My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
CCV symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvis1599 View Post
Hey! Did i get that right? You did o2 pilot mod and the oil consumption increased? I called my local bmw mechanic and he told me that i need to replace my ccv, and clean or replace those plastic hoses.
I considered doing o2 pilot mod but i guess ill wait till i get that system cleaned or replaced. Update me on it goes with your case. Btw ehat is your oil consumption?


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app


My oil consumption decreased after the 02 mod. I was burning 1 litre every 800 miles but now I am only topping off once every few months, which must be every 2000 miles or so.

Now Iím seeing heavy smoke in winter I feel I should have replaced my CCV first and been more thorough with my testing.

EDIT: Should also point out that changing to a thicker oil helped me a lot! Castrol Edge 0w40 lowered my consumption and also drastically reduced the noise from my hydraulic lifters.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 11-29-2017 at 07:35 AM.
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
Hani
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 466
My Ride: 02 330i, 00 323i,
I would do this in a 2 step process. First replace your CCV valve and associated hoses and see how your oil consumption changes. Second if the improvement is not enough than perform the 02 Pilot vacuum line addition. Doing it this way you will have a better way to measure your results

It is like having your car not be running well and than changing all kind of parts all at once, your car will run much better of course but you will have no way of knowing how each part you changed affected the outcome
Hani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
Edvis1599
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 126
My Ride: E46 320i
Year: 2002
Model: E46 FL Touring
Transmission: Manual
CCV symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hani View Post
I would do this in a 2 step process. First replace your CCV valve and associated hoses and see how your oil consumption changes. Second if the improvement is not enough than perform the 02 Pilot vacuum line addition. Doing it this way you will have a better way to measure your results

It is like having your car not be running well and than changing all kind of parts all at once, your car will run much better of course but you will have no way of knowing how each part you changed affected the outcome


Thanks for your replies! I will change my ccv and clean or replace ccv hoses. And ill see how this goes. I unplugged the hose comming from valve cover gasket and saw some milky oil in there. It appears when i drive a short distance when its cold outside. Should i be conserned about that?


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Edvis1599; 11-29-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Edvis1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
markusmarkus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,563
My Ride: 2018 M240i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvis1599 View Post
Thanks for your replies! I will change my ccv and clean or replace ccv hoses. And ill see how this goes. I unplugged the hose comming from valve cover gasket and saw some milky oil in there. It appears when i drive a short distance when its cold outside. Should i be conserned about that?


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app


Donít check the CCV hoses, replace them! Some folks have drastically reduced oil consumption via the o2pilot mod. I installed an oil catch can in my recently sold 2001 330Ci. Stopped burning oil completely.

How is the car driven? Do you take short trips (less than 10miles/16kms)? These cars do not like it when they are driven short distances. These cars were designed to be driven on the autobahn at triple digit speeds. I recommend that you drive your car for 20 miles/35kms at highway+ speeds on a weekly basis.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #10
Edvis1599
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 126
My Ride: E46 320i
Year: 2002
Model: E46 FL Touring
Transmission: Manual
CCV symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Donít check the CCV hoses, replace them! Some folks have drastically reduced oil consumption via the o2pilot mod. I installed an oil catch can in my recently sold 2001 330Ci. Stopped burning oil completely.

How is the car driven? Do you take short trips (less than 10miles/16kms)? These cars do not like it when they are driven short distances. These cars were designed to be driven on the autobahn at triple digit speeds. I recommend that you drive your car for 20 miles/35kms at highway+ speeds on a weekly basis.


Hi, thanks for reply. I actually drive my 320i short distances rarely, the distances i mainly drive is around 50km / 31miles. At speed around 100kmh / 60mph. But sometimes i drive it short distances and then i can spot the milky mixture on the oil cap and inside the oil fill hole. Especially if its cold outside and if its first drive of the day. Should i be concerned about coolant making its way into oil? I guess ill listen to you and just replace all ccv system including all hoses. Its pretty tricky to DIY though...


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Edvis1599; 11-29-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Edvis1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
87 300D
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Norwich, Connecticut.
Posts: 681
My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
No post responders here on this have mentioned their odometer miles....Common, I have found for 'in-lines' at or around 100k is failure of the "Oil Filter Housing Gasket" A second concern at 100K is the CCV. A crank-case ventilation system...that by mechanical direction also gets burned out the tailpipe (via Catylitics). In America, cars imported, also including domestic, they too are required to meet USA standard emission requirement. Weather or not..and if you disagree...this is the law....
87 300D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
Edvis1599
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 126
My Ride: E46 320i
Year: 2002
Model: E46 FL Touring
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 300D View Post
No post responders here on this have mentioned their odometer miles....Common, I have found for 'in-lines' at or around 100k is failure of the "Oil Filter Housing Gasket" A second concern at 100K is the CCV. A crank-case ventilation system...that by mechanical direction also gets burned out the tailpipe (via Catylitics). In America, cars imported, also including domestic, they too are required to meet USA standard emission requirement. Weather or not..and if you disagree...this is the law....


Thank you for response. I investigated my oil filter gasket and it looks ok, im willing to change my ccv to a new one, and look how much oil engine consumes then. If the problem remains (i hope it wont tho) i think im going to do 02 pilot mod. Mine has 136k miles on the clock.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Edvis1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #13
shoman24v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 555
My Ride: 2002 330i 2000 528iT
I don't think having major vacuum is a symptom of a bad CCV. I don't understand how the engine would automatically create more vacuum if the CCV was damaged when crankcase barely makes any vacuum to begin with.

If you had a broken CCV line anyway, you'd have a vacuum leak and less vacuum in the crankcase anyway.

Adding vacuum from the intake to the CCV is the only way to increase vacuum at the crankcase.

Replace your CCV, do the 02Pilot mod. Be sure to install a one way valve at the dipstick return.
__________________
| 2002 330i - 104k | 2000 528iTA - 151k | 2017 X3 SDrive28i M Sport - 30k |
My E46 Maintenance Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by shoman24v; 11-30-2017 at 08:46 AM.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #14
Edvis1599
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 126
My Ride: E46 320i
Year: 2002
Model: E46 FL Touring
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
I don't think having major vacuum is a symptom of a bad CCV. I don't understand how the engine would automatically create more vacuum if the CCV was damaged when crankcase barely makes any vacuum to begin with.

If you had a broken CCV line anyway, you'd have a vacuum leak and less vacuum in the crankcase anyway.

Adding vacuum from the intake to the CCV is the only way to increase vacuum at the crankcase.

Replace your CCV, do the 02Pilot mod. Be sure to install a one way valve at the dipstick return.


Thank you for response. I ordered new CCV system today, and a one way valve. I hope changing ccv and doing o2pilot mod cures my oil eating...


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Edvis1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #15
E46Envyy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: canada
Posts: 414
My Ride: 2004 330ci
Transmission: 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
I don't think having major vacuum is a symptom of a bad CCV. I don't understand how the engine would automatically create more vacuum if the CCV was damaged when crankcase barely makes any vacuum to begin with.

The CCV uses a rubber diaphragm retained by a spring to regulate pressure. Frozen mayo in the ccv can puncture the diaphragm resulting in very high vacuum.

Additionally this high vacuum is capable of sucking oil up and into the intake, which'll hydro lock your engine.



Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Make choices; don't look back
E46Envyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #16
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 25,706
My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Replace your CCV. I don't know what the pilot mod is, but I'd suggest you don't do it, since nearly every mod has some unknown, often unwanted consequence.

I'm at 335,000 miles and maybe burn 2-3 qts. in my 12-15,000 mile oil change interval. Also, OP, use an LL-O1 oil
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:53 AM   #17
jfoj
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 28,907
My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Monitoring Fuel Trims is a good way to determine how well the crankcase is sealed.

With the engine warm and idling, assuming the STFT are below +5%, remove the oil fill cap and the STFT should immediately jump by 20-22%. If there is very little change in the STFT then chances are the crackcase has one or more air leaks.

Suggest you get the CCV replaced, make sure the engine operating temperature is correct, then monitor the oil consumption before you do anything else.
__________________
Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #18
Edvis1599
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 126
My Ride: E46 320i
Year: 2002
Model: E46 FL Touring
Transmission: Manual
CCV symptoms

Thank you for answers. As i mentioned i ordered new CCV and all hoses yesterday. I guess ill replace it and then check how much oil my engine ďeatsĒ. If it will still be lots of oil then ill do the o2pilot mod. Thank you all for advices and information.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Edvis1599; 12-01-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Edvis1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #19
Edvis1599
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 126
My Ride: E46 320i
Year: 2002
Model: E46 FL Touring
Transmission: Manual
Hello!

So i changed my CCV a month ago and monitored my oil consumption almost every day. And i can say that changing CCV definetely helped. My E46 still burns a bit of oil, and as i heard from people its kinda normal. I guess i could do O2 mod, but i noticed that changing CCV increased vacuum in my valve cover, couse now when i try to remove my oil filling cap it is more difucult to do so, its being sucked a bit. Its nothing abnormal, i suppose couse it not really hard, it just barrely sucks the cap. SO i dont really know if increasing the vacuum even further doing that o2 mod would be really healthy to my engine.

It burns a lot less oil than it did before and i also found couple vacuum leaks while changing CCV. Im satisfied with my work results and ill keep checking the oil burning in my engine to overcome any other possible issues. I would say that changing CCV by yourself (especially if you havent done that before) is quite a job. It took me around 5 hours to do, and a lot of scratches on my hands. It looks like the M54 engine was made for people with tiny hands.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Edvis1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #20
Chefer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: South Africa
Posts: 10
My Ride: BMW 330ci 2000
Year: 2000
Model: 330ci
Transmission: Steptronic
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvis1599 View Post
Hello!

So i changed my CCV a month ago and monitored my oil consumption almost every day. And i can say that changing CCV definetely helped. My E46 still burns a bit of oil, and as i heard from people its kinda normal. I guess i could do O2 mod, but i noticed that changing CCV increased vacuum in my valve cover, couse now when i try to remove my oil filling cap it is more difucult to do so, its being sucked a bit. Its nothing abnormal, i suppose couse it not really hard, it just barrely sucks the cap. SO i dont really know if increasing the vacuum even further doing that o2 mod would be really healthy to my engine.

It burns a lot less oil than it did before and i also found couple vacuum leaks while changing CCV. Im satisfied with my work results and ill keep checking the oil burning in my engine to overcome any other possible issues. I would say that changing CCV by yourself (especially if you havent done that before) is quite a job. It took me around 5 hours to do, and a lot of scratches on my hands. It looks like the M54 engine was made for people with tiny hands.


Hi Edvis, I just want to find out if the smoke stopped as well, also don't you find it weird that it increased the suction on the oil fillercap? People diagnosing a bad CVV all said this is the symptom of a failing CVV so im really confused lol, has there been a power increase feel?
Chefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ccv, consumption, issue, oil

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.