iPod connection - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
nikos07

My Ride: 2005 330ci Cabrio
iPod connection

i have the auxiliary input in my glove box and i want to use a wire that has the ipod dock at one end and the auxiliary headphone jack at the other side. I have one of these wires but it is too short for me because i am hiding the wire under the console so it doesnt look sloppy so i need it to be longer. i believe my current wire is about 4 feet long. any help would be appreciated!!
nikos07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
For the best hook up, I would not use the aux port because you cannot connect it to the apple dock connector. However, what I did when I first bought my 330 was purchase iSimple part number ISBM72 and it gives me 100% control over my ipod and plenty enough cable to put it pretty much anywhere. Just look it up online and I got mine for like $60 so pretty fair price for the value. And also so easy to install i did mine in my driveway. Try it. You wont be disappointed.

Dedication

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
nikos07

Would you be able to post a link of this product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

This is an interesting item as it gives you A2DP Bluetooth music streaming and Bluetooth hands free with sound via the in car audio system.

Price seems to be all over the place on Amazon, but you can shop it around.

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos07 View Post
i have the auxiliary input in my glove box and i want to use a wire that has the ipod dock at one end and the auxiliary headphone jack at the other side. I have one of these wires but it is too short for me because i am hiding the wire under the console so it doesnt look sloppy so i need it to be longer. i believe my current wire is about 4 feet long. any help would be appreciated!!
This is what you need if you already made an aux input in the glovebox.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPod-Dock-to...item2c624d6591

I made a USB power outlet as well in the glove box for charging purpose by tapping into the fuse box.

So the dock connector splits to aux in and USB.

30 pin dock connector comes out of the glovebox when needed, and stays inside when not needed. I mount my iphone on the vent for GPS purpose and the cable stays away from any controls since it is coming out of the glovebox and connected to vent area. No wires around the radio, hvac buttons or shifter area.
It charges and plays music at the same time, however you can use it only to play music and charge another USB device inside the glovebox with the separate cable.

The sound will be better than aux because it is coming directly from the line in signals rather than the aux out of the iPhone.

Now I have upgraded to iPhone 5, I have to buy an adapter for 8 pin to 30 pin port for this to work.

trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
nikos07

I have this wire already but I want to get a longer one because I conceal by feeding it under the console by the side of the passenger seat and intends up being too short to use it with ease. I've heard of auxiliary cord extenders but I don't know if I will lose sound quality
Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos07 View Post
I have this wire already but I want to get a longer one because I conceal by feeding it under the console by the side of the passenger seat and intends up being too short to use it with ease. I've heard of auxiliary cord extenders but I don't know if I will lose sound quality
Every time you extend a cable carrying signals, the signals will degrade. If you are using a good quality wire and good connectors, the sound quality difference will hardly be noticeable. The sound quality from the 30 pin line out is better than the headphone port of the iPhone, so even with degradation in the quality, I'd say it will still be better than the the headphone port people use (no offense intended).

If you are happy with the cable you have right now, just get an extender cable that has 3.5mm male and female at opposite ends and you are good to go. You can also add a USB extender cable if you have the charging port located near the aux.

Last edited by trj; 01-04-2013 at 01:09 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, electornics, ipod aux front lip