AVANT-4 Android Navigation System for BMW 3-Series E46 / M3 AVINUSA - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #41
TR4G-

My Ride: E36/8 3.0i, E46 ZHP
What is the purpose of the wire coming off the main harness labeled “key”

Is there a way to have the buttons dim with the dimmer function of the light control module?

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #42
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
What is the purpose of the wire coming off the main harness labeled "key"

Is there a way to have the buttons dim with the dimmer function of the light control module?

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics
I believe the key wires 1 and 2 are for vehicles with non kBus steering wheel controls. I think you can program them by button press duration and count.

LCM dimmer is an known issue, the backlighting only works at one brightness setting with light switch on but it is dimmable within the head unit itself, not controlled by the dimmer wheel on the LCM.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-27-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #43
TR4G-

AVANT-4 Android Navigation System for BMW 3-Series E46 / M3 AVINUSA

awesome, thanks for the answers, I found a lot of good information in your thread over at xoutpost too, particularly regarding wiring the cameras and the dual DVR - https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...ideo-link.html

What exactly is the "autobox." It asks if I want to auto boot autobox and if I want to autoopen autoboxwhen I turn my car on. (I have since checked the box to always do so). Was just curious what that is referring to. I'm assuming it's that red see through box that plugs into the harness? The can interface or what not?

I also find it interesting they include an entire extra male OEM radio harness on each of the harness options. Why is it necessary do to that, I may be missing the point or something. It's like you would daisy chain the avant 4 and then connect the stock radio back also? I saw discussion in the xoupost thread about how you can actually do that with the trunk mounted location, but why include it for the non nav option? I'm thinking about removing that entire connector as it's very large and I like to tidy up. Although I have to say, compared to every other double din on the market, the lack of CD/DVD drive in this one is a godsend. SO MUCH ROOM back there. Wiring my eonon was a nightmare in comparison

One more question while I am here, regarding the front camera (not the dvr)

This camera (came with the unit from AVIN) has a connection with a video output (to go into the headunit) as well as another pigtail wire with no label. On the other side it has the connection to the camera and then a power and ground wire. I'm curious what the other pigtail coming off the video output side is? And want to confirm I am wiring up the power and ground on the camera connection side to switched 12v+ and ground. Perfhaps I should wire a fuse in?

Figured out the wires for anyone interested: the red wire is continuous. It gives you the option of either tapping into 12v behind the head unit, or closer to the camera mounting location. You only need to use one. The ground is only on the camera side.

Last edited by TR4G-; 12-28-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #44
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
awesome, thanks for the answers, I found a lot of good information in your thread over at xoutpost too, particularly regarding wiring the cameras and the dual DVR - https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...ideo-link.html

What exactly is the "autobox." It asks if I want to auto boot autobox and if I want to autoopen autoboxwhen I turn my car on. (I have since checked the box to always do so). Was just curious what that is referring to. I'm assuming it's that red see through box that plugs into the harness? The can interface or what not?

I also find it interesting they include an entire extra male OEM radio harness on each of the harness options. Why is it necessary do to that, I may be missing the point or something. It's like you would daisy chain the avant 4 and then connect the stock radio back also? I saw discussion in the xoupost thread about how you can actually do that with the trunk mounted location, but why include it for the non nav option? I'm thinking about removing that entire connector as it's very large and I like to tidy up. Although I have to say, compared to every other double din on the market, the lack of CD/DVD drive in this one is a godsend. SO MUCH ROOM back there. Wiring my eonon was a nightmare in comparison

One more question while I am here, regarding the front camera (not the dvr)

This camera (came with the unit from AVIN) has a connection with a video output (to go into the headunit) as well as another pigtail wire with no label. On the other side it has the connection to the camera and then a power and ground wire. I'm curious what the other pigtail coming off the video output side is? And want to confirm I am wiring up the power and ground on the camera connection side to switched 12v+ and ground. Perfhaps I should wire a fuse in?

Figured out the wires for anyone interested: the red wire is continuous. It gives you the option of either tapping into 12v behind the head unit, or closer to the camera mounting location. You only need to use one. The ground is only on the camera side.
I'm not sure on the "autobox", I don't get a message like that but it may be a Android Pie thing, mine is Android Oreo.

I used the RCA cable with red continuous wire attached up front to the camera+ wire and in the rear I connected it to the camera power wire. I just grounded the camera wire right in the rear. Ultimately all I had to run was the RCA cable with red pigtails from the front to the rear for my rear camera operation.

My rear cam is always powered up on ACC so it is always running when the Avin is running. This is needed on mine to record the rear cam just like the front cam for dash cam capabilities.

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-28-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:59 PM   #45
nleeumd
OG Fanatic

My Ride: 2006 M3
Year: 2006
Model: M3
Transmission: Manual
Send a message via AIM to nleeumd
The red wire coming off the yellow RCA might be a trigger wire to switch on the video when it receives voltage. I am about to go back into my M3 and install a front camera myself.

Ive been looking at several ebay solutions that look OEM and discreet enough as well. I purchased two types, i will report back what works the best.
'12 Porsche 991.1S

Retired (2001 - 2019)
'01 BMW 330Ci | PP/CWP/SP/XE/KVT-915DVD | M3 Lip Spoiler | M3 Strut Bar | Jim Conforti Intake | UUC Sway Bars | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Upgrade | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Foglights | JL Audio Stealth Box | Clears All Around | 18" ASA AR1's | LED Tails | Rearview Keyhole Camera
nleeumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #46
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleeumd View Post
The red wire coming off the yellow RCA might be a trigger wire to switch on the video when it receives voltage. I am about to go back into my M3 and install a front camera myself.

Ive been looking at several ebay solutions that look OEM and discreet enough as well. I purchased two types, i will report back what works the best.
Not really a need for a trigger with any of the newer systems. The CAN Bus decoder on the systems now know when reverse is engaged triggering the reverse event to switch to backup cam.

No Fear

Old 12-28-2019, 11:47 PM   #47
Blues

My Ride: '04 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf View Post
3) Do you have any installed photos of the 8.8" version? The free standing photos seem to imply it still fits vertically within the radio/HVAC pod without extending in front of the central vents.

4) Similarly, do you have any other photos of the 9" version, particularly profile photos or dimensions to show just how var above the radio opening it extends.

Thanks!
3/4. Let me see what we have..
I have found these pictures of an 8.8" and 9" screen installed in E46s. They are not avin products but they seem to be the same shaped panels and housings. Would these be what we can expect their fitment to be?

If it is, I am interested in the 8.8" screen. Would it be possible to see what apple carplay looks like on a screen of this aspect ratio? Additionally what airplay (the iphone screen mirroring) would look like.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D3DC262-C08D-4013-8028-CF1637D426B7_1577598010494.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	790873   Click image for larger version

Name:	17EA2C21-4A32-493E-BD26-FD989C869C54_1577598020675.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	790875  

Last edited by Blues; 12-28-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #48
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post

I used the RCA cable with red continuous wire attached up front to the camera+ wire and in the rear I connected it to the camera power wire. I just grounded the camera wire right in the rear. Ultimately all I had to run was the RCA cable with red pigtails from the front to the rear for my rear camera operation.

My rear cam is always powered up on ACC so it is always running when the Avin is running. This is needed on mine to record the rear cam just like the front cam for dash cam capabilities.
My rear cam hasn’t arrived yet but I wired up my front camera. I used the camera+ pigtail on the CAM pigtail. Where did you ground yours? I grounded my front camera on the negative nut in the “drug bin” area.

When I have my engine on the video from the front camera has a fair amount of interference in it. This goes away with just accessory on. I wonder if this is a bad ground issue or perhaps the power wire or the video cable. Is your image good and clear regardless of your engine state?

The supplied front camera (not dash cam) quality is meh but it’s alright as it’s only used for checking distances to curbs I guess.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #49
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My front is the DDVR 720p USB camera with the rear camera interface. Both my cameras are completely noise free, engine running or not. Try grounding to a different place or maybe the same source as your Avin. My rear cam is grounded about 4 ft from the camera to the chassis in the rear by the X5 rear fuse panel/block.

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-29-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #50
E46M3Touring

Quote:
I'm not sure on the "autobox", I don't get a message like that but it may be a Android Pie thing, mine is Android Oreo.

Did you get the rear camera with the LED's from AVIN? I have the dual DVR working, but the LED's stay lit up all the time. Is it supposed to do that?

Also, unfortunately the camera doesn't turn on when I put it in reverse. The screen turns black with an exclamation point. So I gotta figure out where I went wrong with the wiring.
Any tips?
E46M3Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #51
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M3Touring View Post
Did you get the rear camera with the LED's from AVIN? I have the dual DVR working, but the LED's stay lit up all the time. Is it supposed to do that?

Also, unfortunately the camera doesn't turn on when I put it in reverse. The screen turns black with an exclamation point. So I gotta figure out where I went wrong with the wiring.
Any tips?
My guess would be you powered the LED power wire (they shouldn't be on all the time) and not the camera power wire or you don't have the RCA plugged into the correct RCA jack on the back of the unit.

No Fear

Old 01-06-2020, 12:52 AM   #52
E46M3Touring

Quote:
My guess would be you powered the LED power wire (they shouldn't be on all the time) and not the camera power wire or you don't have the RCA plugged into the correct RCA jack on the back of the unit.
Ok so I got the reverse working now. It was the RCA jack. But I don't know how to get the LEDs to turn off. There's wires for the license plate LEDs, then i connected the red for constant power for the camera to work with the Dual DVR, then there's the power connected to the reverse light for it to switch when in reverse.
There's a black/red wire that appears to be grounded already that I didn't connect. I didn't see any instruction to connect that one.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 AM   #53
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

You shouldn't need any reverse power for the camera to switch to the reverse screen, the CAN bus adapter knows when you have selected reverse. The LED lights should be wired to the reverse light power so the power up only in reverse.

Honestly, the LED lights won't really give you any kind of additional lighting for reverse events at night, the backup lights on your car will give you what you need.

Maybe post the instructions Avin provided and see if we can help.

No Fear

Old 01-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #54
E46M3Touring

Thank you so much for trying to help.

After repeated attempts asking Avin about the lights always on and getting responses that didn't answer the question. They ultimately said that's its normal. I just think it's stupid that they're on all the time.

Anyway, here's the short instruction from their website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200106-090939_Samsung Internet_1578331075415.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	791229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200106-090951_Samsung Internet_1578331116924.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	791231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200106-091014_Samsung Internet_1578331142935.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	791233  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #55
skylink

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M3Touring View Post
Thank you so much for trying to help.

After repeated attempts asking Avin about the lights always on and getting responses that didn't answer the question. They ultimately said that's its normal. I just think it's stupid that they're on all the time.

Anyway, here's the short instruction from their website.
Those Led's and the camera have the same power supply and you cant turn them off, I have seen guys say they drilled the led's to kill them, have had some folk put blobs of paint on them

What I done was to replace the camera with a cube that had no led's, these cameras are pretty much the same size even if they had mountings you dont want to use you can replace the camera in your existing light mount, you will find the holes for the screws will line up

For example Click image for larger version

Name:	519S6VRfKwL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	792203

Last edited by skylink; 01-24-2020 at 01:22 AM.
skylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #56
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
Hi Steve
just a quick question:
I have navi but I also have 3 amps connected to a modded Bm24 (2x RCA out+ Xover) in my vert.

my plans were to remove any module and use the Avin as a normal HU (by using its RCA).

but now I have some doubt reagarding the OEM gps antenna (located into the rear bumper) and for the AM/FM antenna (and the realtive amplifier/diversity).
can I still use them (gps with the extension and antenna re-routed to the HU)?

in few words, is possible to convert the sys to work as if the car wasn't equipped with navi BUT keep using those antennas?
TheRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #57
Gatorsurgeon

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I just installed a reverse camera and the issue is that it doesn't switch automoatically to the camera when I put the car in reverse. Is there a switch somewhere in the CAN bus or elsewhere in the headunit to fix this?
Avin Avant-4 android headunit to
Audiocontrol 3XS crossover to
JL Audio ZR-650 CSi's, JL Audio 300/2 in front and
JLAudio Stealthboxes, JL Audio 250/1 in back

My other car is an M6

Gatorsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #58
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2009 535x
Weird. Mine by default wanted to switch to camera each time I went into reverse (I don't have a reverse camera) so I had to go in settings to turn that off.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:29 AM   #59
Lingsweiler

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Quote:
No, you could run the iBus adapter and app without PDC on your car and the only reason I would add the iBus app on the E46 would be to have some of the coding (iBus messages) sent to do things like triple blink turn signals or daytime running lights with fogs, low beams etc. I'm not sure why Steve would recommend the iBus adapter and app for the E46, the E38, E39 and E53 are a different story since they have a completely different OBC display and reset with high/low clusters. The E46 can reset any stored OBC values from the end of the turn signal stalk.

The iBus adapter and app are game changers on any BMW models with factory DSP as it needs messages sent to the DSP system to operate but the E46 never came with BMW factory DSP so honestly I would not get it. You could always add it later if you wanted it, it simply plugs into the prewired Avant-4 harness.

For your application, I would order the Avant-4 PX6, the Avin DSP option, 6M quadlock wiring extension, AutoPlay module (Apple CarPlay/Android Auto), Dual DVR camera system with the rear camera I posted above and maybe the TPMS system if you want that.

PM me and I'll give you my phone number and would be happy to talk you through any questions you have when purchasing or installing.
So when it comes to the e46, the iBus adapter is not required to make the steering wheel controls work on the avin 4? From watching youtube install videos it looks like the main stereo harness connects to a square black box that is labeled as the steering wheel control box i think.

Would the equalizer DSP chipset upgrade not require the iBus to be able to connect with the car to change the audio settings?

Thank you for any help!
Lingsweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:20 AM   #60
King Hill

I want to use the system of number plate identification https://www.it-jim.com/portfolio/rob...late-detector/ but don't want to spend a lot of money. What would you advise me?

Last edited by King Hill; 05-27-2020 at 01:55 PM.
King Hill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, avin, camera, gps, multimedia