Is 2 series the replacement to E46 that I really want? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
Notaligned

My Ride: 328Ci
Is 2 series the replacement to E46 that I really want?

I'm getting tired of my 328 project, every time someone other than me works on it they tear an interior piece, dent a door, scratch the paint... It ruined the hobby. I started dreaming of a new car that doesn't need repeat visits to careless body shops and muffler shops.

But it's a once in a lifetime purchase, if I make a mistake I'm properly f-ed. The more I read on M2 Bimmerpost the more doubts I have.

- shift lag
- rev hang
- not high revving (even OG M2 runs out at 5500RPM)
- crank hub flaw
- electric steering
- DI carbon deposits

One of the worst complaints and regrets from owners of 2 series manual cars including M2 is shift lag, a 1s period after a shift where throttle does nothing. Even after all these years the only "solution" they have is to shift at 6500RPM, nobody found a DME fix. That sounds absurd you can't drive like that all the time. Reviews are absolutely worthless, nobody is willing to talk about this.

E46 M3 is probably the real E46 upgrade I want in respect to steering/throttle response/high revving. But the prospect of another 20 year old car that needs floor welded and paint restored turns me right back towards F series.

Anyone here have regrets about their 235i, 240i or M2? Is it that bad? Could the complainers be "spoiled" by their previous M4's and Porsche 911's for which I would have no comparisons?
Notaligned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
I feel like you could fix the lag with a tune. It's just too niche and no one has tried anything yet. The 2 series forum sucks. At least 2addicts, there's no diys really or any really useful information there. It's like they don't try to mod cause it's too hard.

I don't think the m240i is too bad. I don't really like how the torque curve is. The steering is a bit numb. And honestly, I think it's smaller than e46. But it's a way better car than my model 3 for funness lol the seats gig you, the steering wheel feels good and it's got all the amenities my e46 doesn't have. Also it's pretty fast. It's also nice to look at. At least to me, looks wise it's like an evolution of my 330ci in a way. At least from the front.

Just buy a good e46 m3. My buddy is about to sell one that has all those items fixed lol

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sillieidiot; 04-03-2020 at 08:33 AM.
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
Spark330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Year: 2004
Model: 330i
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Send a message via AIM to Spark330i
No regrets here! I had (and still have) a 2004 E46 330i ZHP 6 speed for 13 years and bought a used 2016 M2 6 speed in 2019 and I love it! I don't notice the shift lag, I do have a JB4 piggyback installed which does give it a little extra boost. The car is fast, nimble, fun to drive, but not as good on gas as the E46. I think it's the closest thing to the E46 that you will find available IMHO.