Compression results in. What's most likely broken? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Shadow01

My Ride: E46 325xi 5spd
Compression results in. What's most likely broken?

Ok guys, I did a compression test but no leak down yet. Car sounded and felt like it was running on 5 cylinders. Happened after downshifting and overtaking a Prius lol. I was burning a quart of oil every 60-100 miles and I replaced all culprits (vanos, valve cover, ccv, disa, intake boots and a lot more but it was still burning). My assumption: Engine internals r shot, maybe piston rings??
Compression results dry (didn't do wet,):
1 - 190
2 - 15
3 - 195
4 - 198
5 - 195
6 - 195

Spark plugs were wet for all 5 cylinders and cylinder 2 looked brand new (still shiny probe).

What do u guys think the culprit is? Or what should my next step be? Leak down? Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K&N CAI ** Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust & power pulleys ** Sharked by Jim Conforti ** AFE throttle body spacer ** Koni sports ** Eibach pros ** Pioneer double din * touch * dvd * iphone * aux * blueT * bakup cam ** BavSound Ghost Subwoofer ** Viper Satellite remote start & locator app ** Moshimoto projectors * 55W Canbus HIDs * Angel eyes ** Akebono pads ** 19" VMR 710ff * Michelin Sports 4 * BFG A/S Sports/Winter set...her name is Beverly.
Shadow01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
77'911

Sorry to hear. You might consider scoping the cylinder so you see what's going on. 15 is quite low, IE usually a blown out ring or completely burn't or bent valve. If it's a ring, you'll see scoring on the cylinder walls. Does the plug look beat up from that cylinder?
regards
77'911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #3
IdahoDoug

My Ride: Quattro 20V
Harbor Freight has a color LCD borescope you can take a look for around $70 I think. I've had mine for several years and am happy with it and have had a lot of odd uses for it. Perhaps a hole in the piston? I can't reconcile burning lots of oil with the perfect new looking spark plug in the dead cylinder. You've sure got me curious.
Current fleet: 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan bought w/ 61K.
IdahoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Shadow01

Bought a brand new 2020 SI Coupe and I've been enjoying the worry free, high mpg, drive it like you stole it feeling. And that turbo..ahhhh smiles
Anyways back to the E46, I've been soaking the toasted cylinder with Seafoam "Deep Creep" and my latest compression test showed 70! Far from the 195 of her sisters but much better than 15 she originally clocked which is tellin me maybe I didn't completely toast her after all. Greedy ho wants some more.
So I'm soaking her some more. I'll keep doing it till the can is empty. I soaked the injectors in Deep Creep and so much black gritty crap came out. This stuff is great!
Give me advice now that compression is comin back! Thank you!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K&N CAI ** Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust & power pulleys ** Sharked by Jim Conforti ** AFE throttle body spacer ** Koni sports ** Eibach pros ** Pioneer double din * touch * dvd * iphone * aux * blueT * bakup cam ** BavSound Ghost Subwoofer ** Viper Satellite remote start & locator app ** Moshimoto projectors * 55W Canbus HIDs * Angel eyes ** Akebono pads ** 19" VMR 710ff * Michelin Sports 4 * BFG A/S Sports/Winter set...her name is Beverly.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
Giving how this apparently happened - a money shift - I think you have a major problem with a piston ring or valve. I don't see many stories of people coming back from near zero compression without taking the head off.

I suppose It IS possible you have a stuck piston ring, but I don't think it's likely you will restore compression with a soak.

Last edited by Effduration; 06-02-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Do a leakdown test. You don't even need a proper leakdown gauge or need to know what the % leak down is. Just put some compressed air into that cylinder at tdc to get an idea where the lost compression is going. Use the hose from the compression tester and remove the Schrader valve.

:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer

Last edited by LeverThis; 06-02-2020 at 03:02 PM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 F10 RT
Likely a bent valve or two, use a borescope. Hopefully just that and not a snapped valve making the top of the piston & bore look like the surface of the moon.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #8
Shadow01

Ok I'll try that. And for the record, I didn't money shift.