Malware in ad service - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions

Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions
Do you have feedback/questions/ideas/suggestions about the site? Post them here.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:06 AM   #21
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
After losing numerous posts I typed in by these destructive redirects, I switched to using Chrome browser on the iPad.

@Jake, any progress with the Admins?
I can work directly with them to reproduce the issue and provide data to help them track down the offending ad service.
Let me know...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:05 AM   #22
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
After losing numerous posts I typed in by these destructive redirects, I switched to using Chrome browser on the iPad.

@Jake, any progress with the Admins?
I can work directly with them to reproduce the issue and provide data to help them track down the offending ad service.
Let me know...
Negative, no reply from them. I will PM tim since he still has access and might be able to help.

-
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #23
IdahoDoug

My Ride: Quattro 20V
Seems to be getting worse from my perspective. They variously seem to be using McAfee, Norton and then just now a small popup window appeared notifying me my antivirus had expired with no brand name and a blue "Close" button which of course does not work. Instead hitting the button causes it to take over the entire E46 window and then I've learned to just close the window and start over. Worse, because now it has happened two times in a row when I open an E46 page to see what's happening on the forum.
Current fleet: 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan bought w/ 61K.
IdahoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #24
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

It's much worse now. As soon as I go to e46fanatics.com using Safari on my iPad it redirects.

This is the thread from the last occurrence in 2018.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1224526

Old 04-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #25
tim330i
Bimmerfest Co-Founder

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
I've alerted my contacts with the new owners. I'm hoping they address this thread today.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy!

Tim
Old 04-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #26
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

FWIW: I only see this on my 2019 iPad Pro 11" using the native Safari browser.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #27
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Here's the link it's redirecting to a lot today.
https://perksrabbit.website/ln/bPaCi...8BCxt0jZ_ReGf#

Old 04-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #28
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Malware popups are back today. Mac OS Safari

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #29
tabora

My Ride: 2004 325xi Touring
Year: 2004
Model: 325xi Touring
Transmission: Auto
I.T. Professional here... Stop using Safari and use Chrome or Firefox or the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge. Install Adblock Plus (not Adblock) in every browser that you use.
tabora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #30
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabora View Post
I.T. Professional here... Stop using Safari and use Chrome or Firefox or the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge. Install Adblock Plus (not Adblock) in every browser that you use.
Small world! Im an IT pro as well.
Using Chrome on the iPad for now, and its inconvenient. As you know, Safari is the default browser on iOS.
They fixed it before, they can fix it again.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #31
tabora

Quote:
Using Chrome on the iPad for now, and its inconvenient.
I started using Netscape Navigator in 1994 and then switched to Firefox on all platforms when the Mozilla spinoff occurred. I find it vastly superior and convenient across all platforms (MacOS, iOS, Android, Windows, Linux and the BSDs). The sync feature makes it incredibly convenient for me, since I own dozens of devices both personally and in my I.T. Consulting & Photo Imaging business. No Adware or Redirects when used with Adblock Plus and Malwarebytes.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #32
IceWhite

My Ride: 2004 330i
I use the Avast Browser for E46Fanatics, and I've got no Complaints. I have been using it for a while now and I just can't remember the reason I switched. For all other forums I use Google Chrome.
IceWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #33
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

I tried today and they must have removed the offending ad service.
No more annoying redirects!
Thanks Tim and staff.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #34
dlmrun2002

My Ride: 325xit
Quote:
I tried today and they must have removed the offending ad service.
No more annoying redirects!
Thanks Tim and staff.
Not true. Malware everywhere. My computer is blowing up.

dlm ny country
dlmrun2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #35
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
Not true. Malware everywhere. My computer is blowing up.

dlm ny country
Hold on there, its fixed for Safari on my iPad.
I cannot comment on other browsers or platforms except to say that throughout this ordeal Chrome and Edge had no issues on Windows 10 for me.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #36
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Well, that didn't last long! The malware redirects are back first time I tried just now. Here's the address it went to.

https://perksdensity.website/ln/Zsro...r0bI4bKXIhINx#

Old 04-11-2020, 02:44 AM   #37
IdahoDoug

My Ride: Quattro 20V
Same here. Happened to me at 1240am on April 11 just like before. I'm Safari user.
Current fleet: 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan bought w/ 61K.
IdahoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:05 AM   #38
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
I have zero issues on multiple work computers, my macbook and my gaming desktop using Chrome with adblock.

-
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #39
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

After having a few redirects on the morning of April 10, I have not seen any since then. So, I'll consider it solved.

To reiterate, I only ever saw these when using Safari browser on my 2019 iPad Pro 11" running iOS 13.3.1.
Never saw them on other browsers on my iPad, nor on any Windows PCs.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #40
tabora

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoDoug View Post
Same here. Happened to me at 1240am on April 11 just like before. I'm Safari user.
Seriously folks, stop using Safari and use Firefox, Chrome or chromium-based Edge.