DeepOBD and I-Bus App on Xtrons Head Unit - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
Aidzer0

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2001
Model: 325i
Transmission: S5D 250G
DeepOBD and I-Bus App on Xtrons Head Unit

Hey guy, long time lurker and small time commenter, this is my first new thread, if it doesn't belong here, please move it.

To start; I have a E46 325i 2001 sedan, manual converted myself, M56 valve cover conversion, all work has been done myself, I have always been a fan of incorporating all systems to one central system, as an example, If I have a trip of 2300 miles and my SES light comes on, I don't want to need to connect a BT OBD2 scanner, take my phone out to read codes, I want to click twice to check them out. That being said, I bought Rolf Resler USB with the intention of reading OBD2 error codes, much to my misfortune, I did not read and the Resler USB does not do this. I did still install and purchase the I-BUS app to go with it, it has nifty things that most know about. - if you don't, Google the app name.

I quickly found a VERY German site that explains how to configure
Deep OBD for BMW and VAG app with a USB OBD cable (K+DCAN Diagnostic Cable) - specifically the e46 compliant one (Pins. 8 + 9 are bridged IIRC), further more, you can integrate that setup with the I-Bus app, we are backkkk... nope ... It only integrates live data like Oil temp that Resler cannot read on the e46 like it does with the e39.

Sorry, this is long...

To sum up, I-Bus App does not read the iKombi module all that well nor does it read OBD2 signals, DeepOBD fills in those gaps of live data and error codes, very accurately and the intervals are a few milliseconds, also, I have noticed that the "Coolant" data entry in I-Bus is actually Engine temp and not coolant temp. All of the figures that were slow to update on the I-Bus app are now a lot more responsive.

If I were to advise someone, get the DeepOBD app with the K+DCAN Diagnostic Cable. A bit more work to get it going, but a lot more accurate.

I can now read codes, and erase them if needed too, with the DeepOBD app.

Guys, please ask questions if needed, correct if I made any mistakes. Thanks!

Here are some pics of the interfaces:
DeepOBD Dashboard

DME reading DeepOBD

Kombi DeepOBD

IBus app while car is warming up

Parts:
- Xtrons HeadUnit (PX5 specifically): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797QNCDW..._ZN8IEb824M1ZF
- Rolf Resler USB adapter: http://www.reslers.de
- K+DCAN Diagnostic Cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BCJYYHQ..._aR8IEb3Q13NVS
- I-Bus License: https://shop.ibus-app.de/en/shop/lic...pp-obc-license

Unfortunately I don't have the time to take everything apart to snap pics of how I got everything setup, but, for the DCAN I just popped the OBD2 port out of the foot well cover, plugged the DCAN into it and fished the USB to the radio.
There are instructions on how to get this whole setup going, its not as tedious as its portrayed but it can get tricky using the Android File Manager to export some files. My advice, once you find the correct config file, delete all other folders that contain configs to avoid confusion.
Here is the link for the instructions to get DeepOBD working with the DCAN USB along with integrating it to I-Bus app: https://xtrons.ibus-app.de/index.php...App_einrichten
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DashBoard.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	797315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Codes1.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	797317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Codes2.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	797319   Click image for larger version

Name:	DME.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	797321  

Name:	IBusDashCold.jpeg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	797323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IBusDashWarm.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	797325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IBusOBD.jpeg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	797327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kombi.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	797331  

Name:	LSZ.jpeg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	797333   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadingCodes.jpeg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	797335  

Last edited by Aidzer0; 04-06-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Aidzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Aidzer0

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2001
Model: 325i
Transmission: S5D 250G
Oh, I attached the error codes that the unit reported, any advice on those?

I did a manual swap and I believe itís because the lcm is still auto and the cluster is manual, if I code the lcm to manual I lose the clutch switch functionality and cruise control due to that too.
Aidzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote