Need some guinea pigs... - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #1
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Need some guinea pigs...

You might have seen a new thread pop up in the General forum today titled How to Install BMW Standard Tools.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1274003

Its a DIY on how you can set up INPA and friends on your Windows laptop, basically a written version of what I do remotely for folks before updating their DME or EGS.

I need a few brave souls to run through it and see if I missed anything and give me feedback. If youre up for it, PM me your GMAIL address and Ill share the needed files.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 04-06-2020 at 05:40 PM.
BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
I might be in. Can this run on a Surface Pro 7?

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
I might be in. Can this run on a Surface Pro 7?
Yes. Windows and USB port is all ya need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Archbid
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
You might have seen a new thread pop up in the General forum today titled How to Install BMW Standard Tools.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1274003

Its a DIY on how you can set up INPA and friends on your Windows laptop, basically a written version of what I do remotely for folks before updating their DME or EGS.

I need a few brave souls to run through it and see if I missed anything and give me feedback. If youre up for it, PM me your GMAIL address and Ill share the needed files.
My laptop should be here at the end of the week. Happy to give it a shot.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
Archbid
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Free Airbag badge to a good home

Somehow I have a tan airbag badge (goes on the door on coupe/convertible). Happy to send it free to someone that may be missing one. LMK
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
pm sent

:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
pm sent
Folder shared, PM replied. Let me know how it goes.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:13 PM   #8
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Folder shared, PM replied. Let me know how it goes.
Ok, all done and everything seems to work. INPA 5.06 communicates with DME, EGS, Radio, IHKA, and even properly communicates with the MK60_DSC (it ran the abs pump bleed routine successfully). Didn't try winkfp or ncsexpert.

Everything went according to the directions as far as I could tell. When I did the restart, it seemed like Windows 10 decided to install an update and it took a while for it to go through that routine and restart the computer. In the Device Manager, it took a bit of time for the cable driver to fully install and finally it appeared as "usb serial port (com3)"; so I had to go into properties, then advanced in order to select com 1.

After that, I plugged the cable into the car and like I mentioned everything seems to work well, or as well as can be expected*.

(*Edit: So the occasional warning will pop-up about "language variant not matching" or "malfunction possible". Click OK and move on, usually these are false and the program will continue working.)

:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer

Last edited by LeverThis; 04-06-2020 at 11:29 PM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #9
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Still need guinea pigs? My new laptop got here today.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:45 PM   #10
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
Still need guinea pigs? My new laptop got here today.
Yes sir! PM me your GMAIL address and Ill share the folder and my contact info.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
VpointVick

Quote:
Yes sir! PM me your GMAIL address and Ill share the folder and my contact info.
Sent!
Old 04-10-2020, 10:32 PM   #12
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Sent!
Folder shared, PM replied. Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:35 PM   #13
Sammas10

My Ride: '01 330ci
PM sent!
Sammas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:17 PM   #14
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammas10 View Post
PM sent!
Folder shared, replied by email.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #15
VpointVick

Good thing I didn't get to it over the weekend. In order to fix a non-functioning mic (vital in these days of only being able to socialize over Skype and Zoom) I ended up on with tech support until 1am this morning and had to reset the operating system and lost everything that I had installed to that point.

I'll see if I can get to it tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:35 PM   #16
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Good thing I didn't get to it over the weekend. In order to fix a non-functioning mic (vital in these days of only being able to socialize over Skype and Zoom) I ended up on with tech support until 1am this morning and had to reset the operating system and lost everything that I had installed to that point.

I'll see if I can get to it tomorrow.
Ah well, Windows needs a reset like once per year anyway.
Let me know if you need anything.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:49 AM   #17
mega_stihl

My Ride: E46 & E32
Need some guinea pigs...

here's one (the one on the right)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87001434_199191761282227_4198238585180127232_n.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	797817  

Last edited by mega_stihl; 04-14-2020 at 05:50 AM.
mega_stihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #18
VpointVick

Quote:
Ah well, Windows needs a reset like once per year anyway.
Let me know if you need anything.
I just took the thing out of the box Friday night!
Old 04-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #19
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega_stihl View Post
here's one (the one on the right)
Tres bien!

Old 04-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #20
mega_stihl

My Ride: E46 & E32
Quote:
Tres bien!
Dank je!

Last edited by mega_stihl; 04-14-2020 at 02:23 PM.
mega_stihl is offline   Reply With Quote