Unique Inexpensive Tools for E46 DIYs - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Lightbulb Unique Inexpensive Tools for E46 DIYs

Well with all the DIYs lately thought it might be a good time to get a list from fanatics of some great inexpensive tool finds that really make the job easier.

If possible post the tool, approximate price, and the DIY its helpful for.

I'll start with this from Harbor Frieght. T-bar Flexible Ratchet. Super helpful on the E46 starter removal and installation because of the hard to reach bolts. About $20 ($16 with 20% coupon).

https://www.harborfreight.com/t-bar-...het-98484.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I have the advantage of having a large air compressor so air tools are my favorites. A chisel is very useful for knocking out bushings among other things with the right bits. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...t-hammer-61244. This bit is one of my favorites. https://www.tooltopia.com/old-forge-...1959&sc_intid=. Cutoff tools and impacts are nice too.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
This recent tips and tricks thread had some nuggets, so throwing a link to it here.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1273015

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #4
LL i am

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Well with all the DIYs lately thought it might be a good time to get a list from fanatics of some great inexpensive tool finds that really make the job easier.

If possible post the tool, approximate price, and the DIY its helpful for.

I'll start with this from Harbor Frieght. T-bar Flexible Ratchet. Super helpful on the E46 starter removal and installation because of the hard to reach bolts. About $20 ($16 with 20% coupon).

https://www.harborfreight.com/t-bar-...het-98484.html

looks like something you can use from above, to unscrew/screw in FCA inner ball joints.
LL i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:48 PM   #5
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Originally bought this to access the coolant drain bolt on the block. It has come in handy a number of times over the years:

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...het-67994.html

For brake bleeding:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...-simple-bleed/

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:06 AM   #6
Khanon701

My Ride: 04 325ci
Transmission: 5-speed manual
This little guy is critical for replacing a starter motor from the top. The external torx bolt heads strip super easily, and will make it a real pain if they do. Thankfully, the right wrench will still grip them even if they're a bit damaged (with a little percussive persuasion). The ratchets in it can take way more abuse than i expected, and stood up to me pulling on them with a ratchet strap.

https://www.amazon.com/9221-GEARWREN...6147538&sr=8-2

“Care and Quality are internal and external aspects of the same thing.
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who’s bound to have some characteristic of quality.”
-Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Khanon701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:12 AM   #7
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: B30_TS3
Year: 2001
Transmission: DCT GS7D36SG
Electric impact wrench.
I bought this for $120, it is wired (no batteries to wear) and rated at 550Nm of torque. Super helpful for:
1. Strut knuckle bolts
2. Exhaust flange bolts
3. Guibo bolts
4. Front/rear wheel bearings
5. Removal of wheel bolts
6. Any stuck bolt basically.

||

paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
aba4430

My Ride: 98 Z3 2.8, 00 328Ci
Not really E46 specific, but this is a gem. I used it in the last few days when I overhauled all the PS hoses (some clamps) and reservoir.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3H6UMS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

aba4430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Might not be unique nor inexpensive, but I use this Torx wrench set a ton on BMWs.
https://www.titan-us.com/default.asp...itemcode=12715

tranny types

Last edited by BaliDawg; 04-06-2020 at 09:28 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
Khanon701

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Might not be unique nor inexpensive, but I use this Torx wrench set a ton on BMWs.
Ah yeah, that too. A big torx bit socket on a breaker bar is needed to de-tension certain versions of belt tensioners.

A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who’s bound to have some characteristic of quality.”
Old 04-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Picked up one of these recently:

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-...bar-63908.html

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #12
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
I'll just share that I like the two sections of pipe I have. One to slide over my 3/8" breaker bar, and another for my 1/2" bar. Gas pipes from HD...they'll cut and de-burr for you. Doubles my power; works in a power failure.

Also, using dumdum (butyl rubber) to stick on a bit/socket to keep whatever you're tightening to stay there--if you don't have a magnetic socket.

Also, my maglite xl50--100 lumens for finding stuff.

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:37 PM   #13
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by aba4430 View Post
Not really E46 specific, but this is a gem. I used it in the last few days when I overhauled all the PS hoses (some clamps) and reservoir.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3H6UMS...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Get this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works in front and on the side, which can be useful with boots.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:40 PM   #14
Archbid

A hand pick set. Literally use one of these on every project - pull small hoses, pick open harness connectors, clean out crevices, open connectors ...

TEKTON 6943 Precision Pick and Hook Set, 4-Piece

Old 04-07-2020, 12:20 AM   #15
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Unique Inexpensive Tools for E46 DIYs

I like these because they help take out trim fasteners without damaging them.

They have a notch that the pin fits in.

Only downside was that they took a month to get here from China.

yisige Mutipurpose Diagonal Cutting Pliers Seal Puller Car Push Retainer Rivet Trim Clip Pry Puller Clips Panel Assortments Puller Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722L727X..._xZaJEbPNBFKGD

Sent from my iPhone using E46FanaticsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1468.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	797349

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:

Last edited by swordsman11868; 04-07-2020 at 12:22 AM.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #16
cgj

My Ride: 2006 325CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I'll just share that I like the two sections of pipe I have. One to slide over my 3/8" breaker bar, and another for my 1/2" bar. Gas pipes from HD...they'll cut and de-burr for you. Doubles my power; works in a power failure.

Also, using dumdum (butyl rubber) to stick on a bit/socket to keep whatever you're tightening to stay there--if you don't have a magnetic socket.

Also, my maglite xl50--100 lumens for finding stuff.

I'll second the long sections of pipe. I don't even use a breaker bar I have an old industrial strength socket wrench that I slip a pipe over the handle.

Also this is an indispensable tool that you can pick up for around 6 bucks on ebay or Amazon. Pick one up and throw it in your trunk tool kit.

cgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
Khanon701

Another good general tool I thought of: magnetic pickup sticks. I'm sure most of us know about them, but someone might not. I didn't for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Magnet...353516&sr=8-10

For $5 just get a bunch and put one in every toolbox. If you've got any broken permanent magnet motors laying around, take them apart and toss the field magnets in the bottom of junk bins and theyll collect all your spare hardware for you. Also great for cleaning up ferrous metal chips.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #18
Archbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgj View Post
I'll second the long sections of pipe. I don't even use a breaker bar I have an old industrial strength socket wrench that I slip a pipe over the handle.

Also this is an indispensable tool that you can pick up for around 6 bucks on ebay or Amazon. Pick one up and throw it in your trunk tool kit.

Link or name?
Old 04-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #19
mjdarg

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Transmission: Manual
Not sure how many of these are "unique" but here are some of my favorites.

Wobble extensions - These have made some of those hard to reach bolts much easier, especially when you stack them. Couple these with a flex head ratchet and you can reach almost anything.

Mini screwdrivers - These are useful for taking apart some of the smaller electronics on these cars as well as general cleanout when using the flat heads. I haven't had to use the torx on many, but when taking apart my IHKA module, it had real small torx bolts.

I have a few of these BMW screwdrivers in my box that I've grabbed at the junkyard cause I like the simple 2 in 1 design. These are really handy all around the house.
mjdarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #20
Silverdogz

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '04 330i
Year: 2004
Model: BMW 330i ZHP
Transmission: Manual 6spd
Use this to get the "bitch clip" off on a manual trans. https://www.harborfreight.com/pick-a...-pc-69592.html

Silverdogz is offline   Reply With Quote