Dealer labor formula question - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
rmf917

My Ride: 03 330xi
Dealer labor formula question

Hi everyone,
I recently took my car in to the dealer to have something fixed. When I picked up my car, I looked over the invoice and I was charged for 3.8 hours of labor totaling $576.87, which works out to just over $150/hour. This seems high. I called the dealer back and asked what their labor rate was, and the service adviser said $139.87/hour. I then inquired as to why I was charged over $150/hour, and he explained that they employ a variable labor rate scale that "tapers up and then goes back down," saying it was for efficiency. He also said that "a lot of dealers do it." I've never heard of anything like this before and it doesn't seem right. I was doing a little research and I see that mechanics can sometimes be paid a variable rate, but I found no evidence of customers being charged a variable labor rate. The fact that when I asked what the labor rate was up front and he gave me a flat rate rather than explaining the system also seems a little off.

What do you guys think, have you ever heard of this before?
rmf917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M/NB2
$139.87/hour is an odd labor rate to begin with. I've heard of different rates for different types of work (body, mechanical, a/c work, structural, glass, suspension, etc), but never a sliding scale of labor rate for a specific category. They may charge more for the initial hour or two to make more off the one hour oil change jobs. Ask for a breakdown from them if you're really curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Stealerships!

Sounds like a load of crap as I thought that the labor rate had to be posted by law in most states.

Agree that labor rates do vary, body is usually about 1/2 of mechanical, but if you can get the body shop to do the mechanical part you can make out as many times the body guys have to do a lot of the mechanicals anyway.

I also do not by the $138.87 hourly rate, would make it really hard to split to a 1/10 of an hour or what ever the minimum split would be.

The labor rate should be posted in the service department somewhere on the wall?

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
rmf917

My Ride: 03 330xi
When I was asking the SA about the system, he got kind of defensive about it. The whole thing seems kind of sketchy. What happened was my car was broken into, so I had to have the window replaced. I figured my insurance was footing the bill so might as well take it to the dealer. When I submitted it for reimbursement, my insurance agent said that the book value for labor to replace a window is 1.8 hours. The shop also said that the window regulator was damaged and needed to be replaced, but the quote said no additional labor for the regulator. The SA said that it took 2.8 hours to do the window and they billed 1.0 hours of labor to clean up the glass. This also seems like BS but I don't really have any recourse except to file a charge back or complain to BMA NA and/or the BBB. The SA said the tech actually spent 4.2 hours on the car but they only billed for 3.8. The whole thing seems suspicious. The total bill to replace a the window glass, regulator, labor, and shop charges was over $900.

Last edited by rmf917; 12-19-2013 at 11:21 AM.
rmf917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
That's definitely sketchy. I had my window replaced after a break-in for under $200, including the replacement window. But this was at a independent shop, not the dealer.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmf917 View Post
When I was asking the SA about the system, he got kind of defensive about it. The whole thing seems kind of sketchy. What happened was my car was broken into, so I had to have the window replaced. I figured my insurance was footing the bill so might as well take it to the dealer. When I submitted it for reimbursement, my insurance agent said that the book value for labor to replace a window is 1.8 hours. The shop also said that the window regulator was damaged and needed to be replaced, but the quote said no additional labor for the regulator. The SA said that it took 2.8 hours to do the window and they billed 1.0 hours of labor to clean up the glass. This also seems like BS but I don't really have any recourse except to file a charge back or complain to BMA NA and/or the BBB. The SA said the tech actually spent 4.2 hours on the car but they only billed for 3.8. The whole thing seems suspicious. The total bill to replace a the window glass, regulator, labor, and shop charges was over $900.
Dealers and other shops are FAMOUS for not understanding book times and how they work.

For example, you have a water pump replaced on your car, the fan (assuming an automatic transmission car) and the serpentine belt needs to come off.

If the shop then states you need a fan clutch and serpentine belt, many shops will bill out the complete separate labor operations for replacing the fan clutch and the serpentine belt. This would be triple dipping. At MOST, 15 minutes should be added for changing the 4-6 bolts that attach the fan clutch to the fan, all other labor time is captured or duplicated in the water pump replacement.

I call BS on 1 hour glass clean up, a shop vac in the door for 5 minutes and you are completed, I bet you if you were to look in the door, there is still glass inside!!! At 1 hour to clear the glass up, I should not be able to find a piece of glass within 50 feet of my car.

The window regulator labor would likely almost cover the glass replacement labor? Not sure how much more is involve with getting a new piece of glass in the door if it is already broken?? The 5 minutes for clean up would have been the time the tech would need to disconnect the glass from the regulator anyway.

Time to visit the service manager. If the shop is honest, he will see a problem, if he tells you this is the way things are, pretty clear the entire place is a rip off!

Good luck.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 12-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
lszlszx

My Ride: Z3, V50, 1.8T
Typical dealer overcharge. Many dealers don't make money on selling cars, so they are motivated to "maximize" profits in the service department.

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
Typical dealer overcharge. Many dealers don't make money on selling cars, so they are motivated to "maximize" profits in the service department.
Dealer used car department and the body shops are usually the most profitable.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 12-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
....The shop also said that the window regulator was damaged and needed to be replaced....
Was your window halfway down and did the thief stand on the edge of the glass? I can't think of any other way to associate a broken regulator with shattered glass.

BUT, all the dealer needs is authorization and the work -- however unnecessary -- can begin!

cityjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
They're Germans. "You will pay what we say and you will enjoy it. Any questions?"
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Drexellake

My Ride: 05 330ci Convertible
Dealer labor rate in Chrlotte, NC is $120 an hr. Which is also a rip off. They use a book that say it takes this long to do this. Even if this only takes 30 minutes the book will be longer, more like 2 hrs. They also have the formulas you mentioned at some of these rip off stores.

We have a power company here in SC that has been charging people for a seasonal rate equation. Not even the state regulatory comminsion could figure it out. So just recently after 2 years of us paying it the state said they have to stop.

We're all getting robbed nowadays. I do my own work or hire a friend who is a mechanic. You don't have to have a so called BMW mechanic. A real mechanic can work on anything.

Last edited by Drexellake; 12-19-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Drexellake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Op take car to dealer and is surprised he is overcharged. shocking.

what did you have repaired?

|
|
|

-
-

Last edited by Mango; 12-19-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
mxchris727

My Ride: E39, E93 335
Send a message via ICQ to mxchris727 Send a message via AIM to mxchris727 Send a message via MSN to mxchris727
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I recently took my car in to the dealer to have something fixed. When I picked up my car, I looked over the invoice and I was charged for 3.8 hours of labor totaling $576.87, which works out to just over $150/hour. This seems high. I called the dealer back and asked what their labor rate was, and the service adviser said $139.87/hour. I then inquired as to why I was charged over $150/hour, and he explained that they employ a variable labor rate scale that "tapers up and then goes back down," saying it was for efficiency. He also said that "a lot of dealers do it." I've never heard of anything like this before and it doesn't seem right. I was doing a little research and I see that mechanics can sometimes be paid a variable rate, but I found no evidence of customers being charged a variable labor rate. The fact that when I asked what the labor rate was up front and he gave me a flat rate rather than explaining the system also seems a little off.

What do you guys think, have you ever heard of this before?
What dealer? BMW of Darien is terrible. They overcharge you and the work is sloppy. BMW of Ridgefied is great! The parts department sells parts for close to online prices and their workshops are brand new. They treat you well as a customer too. I think the rate is 140 an hour, but it's worth it if you are not going to perform the work yourself.

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, and Tool32 with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/P & /D is up and running!

Last edited by mxchris727; 12-19-2013 at 02:08 PM.
mxchris727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Yossarian

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
This also seems like BS but I don't really have any recourse except to file a charge back or complain to BMA NA and/or the BBB. The SA said the tech actually spent 4.2 hours on the car but they only billed for 3.8. The whole thing seems suspicious. The total bill to replace a the window glass, regulator, labor, and shop charges was over $900.
You do have recourse. All repair shops in CT are overseen by the DMV. Speak to the Service Manager and let him know that you will be filing a complaint with the DMV if you do not receive satisfaction from him. It worked for me when I had a problem. They don't like the threat of DMV.

Then again, WTNH loves to go after businesses that have screwed people. There's always that option.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Shops I have seen here is AZ have their rates posted in stores like Pep Boys and some tire shops. I don't think I have ever seen one in a dealership but it has been a long time since I have been to one of them to have any work done. I believe it is the law it has to be posted. The whole rate thing was explained to me once by a mechanic. Typically there is a book that tells them the hours they can charge for certain repairs. In most cases this is very generous. If a mechanic works it right they can bag the extra hours it does take them and make a tidy profit for themselves as well as the dealer. Another shop I now of says they only charge you the hours it takes, however, their scam is it takes them forever to fix it and they charge for hours they are not even working on your car.

However, in most cases, I have saved money in the past (and my dealer did this), since they have to remove a part anyway to get to another part they would only charge the time to get to the furthest in part and if you replaced a part on the way in/out you didn't pay the labor rate. They figured it was taken care of in the assembly/disassembly.

Phoenix330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
bozo nightmare

My Ride: 2002 330i
I just called three different indie shops to get a ballpark quote on replacing aftermarket headers on my 330i with the OEM ones (which I have in hand). Just bought the car last night and with the holidays I'm up against it with getting it done so I can pass emissions in the 10-day grace period.

Shop 1: ballpark 3 hours, ballpark $500. Good garage, but some of the guys are condescending. Sure, take my money and call me an a-hole to boot, basically.
Shop 2: *flips through rape price book* Nine hours for one side and another 4-5 hours for the other side. Yes, ADDITIONAL hours. $900-$1000 minimum. I could practically hear him licking his fingers with excitement.
Shop 3: ballpark 2-3 hours, ball park $300-$400. And it seems like he's got a very good rep.
bozo nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo nightmare View Post
I just called three different indie shops to get a ballpark quote on replacing aftermarket headers on my 330i with the OEM ones (which I have in hand). Just bought the car last night and with the holidays I'm up against it with getting it done so I can pass emissions in the 10-day grace period.

Shop 1: ballpark 3 hours, ballpark $500. Good garage, but some of the guys are condescending. Sure, take my money and call me an a-hole to boot, basically.
Shop 2: *flips through rape price book* Nine hours for one side and another 4-5 hours for the other side. Yes, ADDITIONAL hours. $900-$1000 minimum. I could practically hear him licking his fingers with excitement.
Shop 3: ballpark 2-3 hours, ball park $300-$400. And it seems like he's got a very good rep.
9 hours?! they must only have 3 tools. a screw driver (phillips) a hammer and some superglue. what an idiot.

peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
BMW dealer in my city charges two rates:

$150/hr is the "high tech rate"
$85/hr is the "low tech rate"- I asked about what jobs are low tech and the only example I got was oil changes and thats it

VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
shovelit

My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
OP. Is your insurance company paying the bill?
If your ins co is involved, the dealer would have had to get authorization from them for the added repairs.
It's called a "supplement". And if that's the case, who cares what the dealer charged. You aren't paying.
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo nightmare View Post

by sides i hope they dont think it's a v6...

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote