Xi OEM Short Shifter SSK Options Comparison Measurements and Fitment - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 02:12 AM   #1
Melbowski

My Ride: '03 325Xi
Year: 2003
Model: 325Xi
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Xi OEM Short Shifter SSK Options Comparison Measurements and Fitment

TL/DR: Currently Available OEM Options:

Name - Shift Knob Height*, Throw Reduction* (3rd-4th Overall Throw) , Fitment Notes, Part Numer

Z3 1.9 - stock lever on Xi/stock height, OEM lever/no reduction (~4.8125"), 25117527252 #Measured#

E60 545i - ~.375" (9.5mm) taller than stock, ~17% reduction (~4.0"), direct swap (6-speed confirmed/early 5-speed does not fit/late 5-speed unknown), 25117546373 #Measured#

Z3 M - ~0.44" shorter than stock, substantial reduction ~32%*, lower portion of shaft is too long to fit!, 25117527254

Z4 3.0 - ~1" shorter than stock, substantial reduction ~38% (~3.0"), available pre-bent from UnderSteer (6-speed confirmed/early 5-speed does not fit/late 5-speed unknown), 25117543193 #Measured#

Cut Stock - shorter than stock (varies), significant reduction (varies), not suggested

Bonus: Adding a direct swap ZHP Weighted Knob can make shifting easier plus it's ~.75" shorter than the stock wood knob for added OEM SSK glory! (5-Speed 25117896031; 6-Speed 25117896886)

*Only those marked #Measured# have been physically measured! All other heights, ratios, and shift reductions marked with * are estimates based on pixel counting and comparison that err on the side of caution (the Z3M and Z4 lower shafts are not pre-bent). The actual shift reductions are likely more than estimated, but I obviously don't have all these levers just sitting around for real measurements...*

Currently Available Aftermarket SSK:

Name - Shift Knob Height*, Throw Reduction* (3rd-4th Overall Throw), Fitment/Design Notes

UUC Evo 3 - adjustable, substantial reduction (adjustable), custom fitment for Xi models with an infinite number of ratios.

Dinan D550 - unkown*, substantial reduction ~40%*, 5-Speed only! stock upper section with dampening using a modified mount and lower end

Megan SSK - 1/16" shorter than stock (due to raised-cup), ~48% reduction (~2.5"), uses a cup to raise the ball mount similar to Dinan
#Measured#

I've been doing some research on OEM short shifters for the Xi's and it seems like we're quite limited. I know you're all pretty crafty around here, so has anyone found any other OEM solutions that are a drop-in SSK? I'm aware that there is the UUC short shifter for roughly $300, and there's also the questionable Megan Racing SSK replicas for $25 floating around (no info on shift reduction for Xi). In any case, I'm more interested in OEM options for a quality piece that won't break the bank.

EDIT 1: First Round of Testing and Measurements (Z3/E60/Megan) in Post 5!
EDIT 2: Found measurements of the stock Z3 shift lever on Ron's site; knob height for Z3M updated!
EDIT 3: Z3 upgrade lever purchased from UnderSteer; it's actually a pre-bent Z4 3.0 lever! Measurement and 6-speed fitment testing in post 10!
EDIT 4: Xi46 confirmed that the E60 lever does not fit the early 5-speed (shift linkage hits t-case) in post 11! Since the Z4 is even longer under the ball it also will not fit the early 5-speed. Late model 5-speeds have a notched transfercase like the 6-speeds, so fitment is still unknown and needs testing. Thanks for the info Xi46!

Here's what I've found so far for OEM:

The 5-speed Xi models use the Z3 1.9 shift lever stock, so there's no upgrade to be had there. The 6-speed part number is different, but I don't have one to compare to the 5-speed lever. That said, from what I can gather from old threads, they're almost identical.

I purchased an E60 545i shift lever to test out as it is a direct swap, and found that it was slightly longer under the ball and slightly taller above the ball than the stock shifter. The end result is that the shifter is slightly taller and there is no significant overall reduction in shifter travel due to the extra height, so that was a bust.

So, with the common upgrade options off the table (Z3 and E60) I've only found a few other viable options, but they all need to be bent under the ball to fit/shift properly. Predominantly the Z4 3.0 (which RedBull used in his 6-speed) and the Z3M (Edit: Lower portion of Z3M shaft is too long to fit!).

It appears that UnderSteer and a couple other vendors offer the Z4 3.0 shift levers pre-bent, unless there's some shorter OEM bent lever that I don't know about. They claim a 36%-18% reduction depending on Z3, so I'm sticking with ~25% on my estimates (though it is likely more (EDIT: it was! 38%!). The Z3 upgrade lever they sell (pre-bent Z4) should fit the Xi as a straight swap as we use the stock Z3 lever (I may buy one myself to confirm this) (EDIT: I did).

By comparing the Z3M (Edit: Z3M does not fit!) and Z4 3.0 lever ratios (~2.84:1 Z3M and ~2.79:1 Z4) and their design, it appears their overall throw is practically equivalent (~5% difference), so the Z4 is probably a better option pre-bent or bending it yourself. Also remember that bending them makes the under the ball portion shorter, which will reduce their effectiveness, though this should still be at least a ~30% reduction in throw compared to stock. I'll be testing the pre-bent Z4 shift lever from UnderSteer to see if it's a direct drop-in; I know RedBull has a Z4 on his 6-speed that he bent himself so it'll fit one way or another.

There's always the final option of cutting the stock shift lever and making it shorter, but given how the shaft is designed, that feels a bit unsafe to me. I'm cheap, but perhaps not that cheap.

Here's what I've found so far on Aftermarket:

The UUC Evo3 is probably the most well-known aftermarket SSK. It offers strong design, is adjustable, and is probably the best design overall. Because the knob height is adjustable it can offer an infinite number of lever ratios. They also appear to raise the ball seat which enhances leverage. This benefits not only the amount of throw reduction, but raises the lower linkage so it doesn't risk hitting the transfer case. This also puts less of an angle on the shift rod which supposedly reduces seal wear. These are now available in both 5-Speed and 6-Speed Xi designs, so you know it will fit like a glove. It also comes at a relatively high cost, but you get what you pay for.

The Dinan shift lever uses a cup mount that appears to raise the leverage point. Because it uses a stock upper section it retains the factory dampening for daily comfort. It shares many advantages with the UUC shifter at a cheaper price point. It's a simple design that offers moderate improvements over using an OEM lever with up to a 35% reduction in throw (probably more on the Xi) that is significantly cheaper than the UUC. These are only stated to work on 5-Speed vehicles, though some of the Chinese knock-offs state theirs are specifically made for the 6-Speed.

The Megan SSK is sold under a slew of different names and can be had for dirt cheap. They are similar in design to the Dinan units, but cheaper in every aspect. I've read plenty of both good and bad reviews on them. They use a raised cup design, and are made in both a solid shaft and dampened form. They can provide a hefty shift reduction of over 40%, but quality remains a concern.

So what else do we have to work with? Anyone find a decent solution with OEM parts? Here's a shot of all the shift levers lined up, a couple shots from Ron Stygar's awesome website (IDK who is paying to keep it available, but they're awesome too!) with measurements of the Z3M and stock Z3 levers (I used these pictures to get a rough estimate on shift reduction via pixel counting), and some stock photos of the aftermarket SSK options. Let me know if anyone happens to know of any other OEM options, aftermarket options, has measurements, or has confirmed 5-speed fitments. If anyone has a lever they'd like to donate for testing such as the Z4 2.5, Z3M, or aftermarket units, I'm open to that as well. Hope some people find this helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z_short_shifts.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	667953   Click image for larger version

Name:	shiftg.gif
Views:	135
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	667961   Click image for larger version

Name:	UUC SSK.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	668145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinan SSK.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	668153  

Name:	Megan SSK.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	668161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3; E60; Megan Comparison.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	670113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3 Measurements.gif
Views:	113
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	670985  

'92 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo - 6-Speed Swap/Tein S-Techs/Active Aero Swap/M2 Exhaust/
Forged Internals/Chrome ECU/1200cc Injectors/Denso 260 Pump/Bigger Turbos Soon!

Last edited by Melbowski; 09-04-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Clarity; Additional Info; Measured/Tested Levers
Melbowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
EvaJuli

My Ride: E46 325XiT
I bought a NOS Racing Dynamics SSK for $60 or so on ebay a few months ago.

It fit perfect, is much shorter, and the throw was reduced significantly.
Feel is very tight and notchy. It makes a great noise when shifting- like a bolt action rifle.
EvaJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Melbowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJuli View Post
I bought a NOS Racing Dynamics SSK for $60 or so on ebay a few months ago.

It fit perfect, is much shorter, and the throw was reduced significantly.
Feel is very tight and notchy. It makes a great noise when shifting- like a bolt action rifle.
Interesting, I'd imagine it was a variant of the Megan SSK? If you could attach a photo of what you bought, or a link to it, I'd appreciate it.

These shift levers look a lot like the black Dinan unit's design, but without the stock shaft/dampening. I've heard good and bad about them, and have read that they fit the Xi. They can be had for ridiculously cheap, so I was thinking of giving one a shot if only to review it. Getting that snap ring on in an Xi is going to a major pain though...

Do you have a picture of how it sits in the OEM shifter cup? I'd imagine the cup it uses raises the ball and makes the leverage point higher. I'd like some measurements on it personally so I could do a proper comparison to the OEM options. I didn't initially plan to include aftermarket options, but since there's only a couple for the Xi it's probably worth adding.

It'd be nice if we could get Xi SSK options and reviews all in one thread. Thank you for the reply

Edit: Found a picture of the shift lever by Racing Dynamics (uploaded below)!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Racing Dynamics SSK.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	670105  

'92 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo - 6-Speed Swap/Tein S-Techs/Active Aero Swap/M2 Exhaust/

Last edited by Melbowski; 08-09-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
EvaJuli

Here is the link to the same item.
I have not seen these many places- or this brand even.
Yes, the cup (included but not pictured in the listing) raises the ball, and the ball fits fine in the stock nylon carrier.
Ill see if I can measure in the next few days.

There was no way I was dropping the trans to install this thing, I ended up pulling back the carpet and CUTTING slits in the floor around the shifter hump and bending them back to get to the linkage. Picture peeling an orange. I was than able to get my hands in there.
When I was done I simple bent the 'tabs' back and put the rubber boot back in. You obviously cant tell the mess I created once all the trim is installed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152160760473
Old 08-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
Melbowski

First Round of Shift Lever Testing

First Round of Testing:

Alright, I've started to do some leg-work to get some real data and not just pixel-count estimations! Because I just finished a 6-Speed swap, I have my old 5-speed just chilling around waiting to be used for testing. I made a little setup to test out the levers to try and keep it marginally scientific (no promises XD). I tested out the stock Z3 shift lever, the E60 545i shift lever, and I picked up a Chinese Megan SSK knock-off for $20 on eBay as well for fun.

Contrary to popular belief, you absolutely can install and remove a stock shift lever from inside the car on an Xi without dropping anything underneath. I used two small screwdrivers to push in the tabs and remove the plastic ring around the ball, then holding the lever up, I looped a bread-tie through the clip to ensure it didn't fall (don't drop that or you'll regret it!), pushed the clip off with a screwdriver, and then pushed out the linkage to pull the shift lever out. It wasn't the easiest job, but it was a hell of a lot faster than dropping the exhaust and transfercase! This of course only works for the stock levers, the aftermarket ones will require you to drop the transfercase since they mount from the bottom. Anyway, on with the show!

Z3: The stock Z3 lever was used as a standard to put the rest against (obviously) and it performed decently enough. The overall throw for 3rd-4th was ~4.8" with a good shift knob height using the ZHP knob. The stock lever isn't bad at all, but you're certainly rowing the gears with an almost 5" throw. It does the job, but I'd like it a bit shorter. I think the pre-bent Z3M lever will be my next purchase to test and probably install.

E60: The E60 was just as I thought; it sits roughly 3/8" (~9.5mm) higher and has a throw reduction of 17% (3rd-4th is ~4.0"). It was too tall to work properly with the stock shift boot on the 6-speed and pulls it out when shifting to 6th. Overall it wasn't worth the install for the Xi as the difference in throw wasn't significant enough to notice, and the added height was not appealing. This may be a great shift lever for other E46 models, but I wouldn't bother on the Xi.

Megan SSK: The Chinese Megan knock-off was very interesting. The raised cup ensures that even with the longest bottom shaft of the three, it won't hit the transfercase, and with the raised cup it also is almost the exact same height as stock lever (1/16" shorter; it's basically unnoticeable). This thing really reduces the throws by a ridiculous ~48%, making the throw from 3rd to 4th a meager 2.5"! It feels almost uncomfortably short, but it does what it's designed to do. It is cheaply made and is held together primarily with snap-rings; it also doesn't seat fully into the shift base because it's designed to fit many different models (though I'm certain it'd be very firm with the bottom snap-ring in place and would not be an issue). The bottom snap-ring that holds the cup in ensures that you cannot install this without cutting the tunnel or dropping the transfercase. If you desperately want ridiculously shorter throws on the cheap, this'll do it, but you'll need to drop the transfercase or cut up your tunnel. As always, quality is a concern here; your mileage may vary.

Well that's the first round out of the way! I looked for the Racing Dynamics shift lever that EvaJuli posted, but I can't find anything about it; though it looks very interesting. I'll have to see if RedBull has measurements of his Z4 lever as I don't feel like buying one. The EvoIII is adjustable, with plenty of info out there, so no need to test that. I'm not going to shell out the cash for the Dinan, but you can assume it'll have a reduction similar to the Megan with immensely better quality. I think I'll be testing out the pre-bent Z4 next, or I'll bend one myself if I can get it on the cheap I'll measure it on the 5-speed before I install it so I can share the results. I hope this is all useful to other members, and thank you to anyone that posts up more measurements.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Z3 3rd.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	670057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3 4th.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	670065   Click image for larger version

Name:	E60 3rd.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	670073   Click image for larger version

Name:	E60 4th.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	670081  

Name:	Megan 3rd.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	670089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Megan 4th.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	670097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3; E60; Megan Comparison.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	670121  

Last edited by Melbowski; 10-19-2017 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Pictures! Clarity
Old 08-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
apseagle

My Ride: 02 325xi 5 speed
I installed a cheap Chinese knockoff on my 02 325Xi. I was replacing the drive shaft at the time so I just removed the transfer case mount and tilted the transmission down a bit for clearance. It worked well, but, the quality is junk. The snap ring groves that were cut in the shaft were not deep enough to hold the snap rings. After a few months of short, but somewhat sloppy shifting I reworked it when I did my clutch. I chucked it up in the lathe and addressed the snap ring groves. I lubed it all with very good grease and reinstalled it. It now functions perfectly. The shifts are very positive. In fact, it added a very distinct sport feel to the car. I get very positive mechanical shifts, very similar to the gated shifter on my father's Ferrari. The click - click, of shifting is noticeable. I will be adding a weighted knob at some point which I feel will even further improve the feel. I am very happy with the results, but it was not completely plug and play.
apseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
EvaJuli

Mine also has the click-click gate feel. I enjoy it very much.
My only complaint is getting into reverse requires quite a bit of force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apseagle View Post
I installed a cheap Chinese knockoff on my 02 325Xi. I was replacing the drive shaft at the time so I just removed the transfer case mount and tilted the transmission down a bit for clearance. It worked well, but, the quality is junk. The snap ring groves that were cut in the shaft were not deep enough to hold the snap rings. After a few months of short, but somewhat sloppy shifting I reworked it when I did my clutch. I chucked it up in the lathe and addressed the snap ring groves. I lubed it all with very good grease and reinstalled it. It now functions perfectly. The shifts are very positive. In fact, it added a very distinct sport feel to the car. I get very positive mechanical shifts, very similar to the gated shifter on my father's Ferrari. The click - click, of shifting is noticeable. I will be adding a weighted knob at some point which I feel will even further improve the feel. I am very happy with the results, but it was not completely plug and play.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
EvaJuli

Anyone want to trade with me? RD Sport SSK.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
Thanks for the thread Melbowski! I have my stock shifter so I don't really have much to add but I'm following this thread for future reference. Keep it up man!
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, poly FCAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap, M56 valve cover

"No, thanks. I'm a vegetarian." Is a fun thing to say when someone hands you their baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
Melbowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason325xi View Post
Thanks for the thread Melbowski! I have my stock shifter so I don't really have much to add but I'm following this thread for future reference. Keep it up man!
Thanks for the kind words Jason, it really means a lot! It gave me the ambition to test-fit UnderSteer's Pre-bent Z4 3.0 shift lever today, so here it is!

Pre-bent Z4 3.0: So after receiving the shift lever from UnderSteer the part number confirmed it to be a Z4 3.0 shift lever rather than the Z3M like I assumed (which was probably a God-send, more on that in a bit). I took the new shift lever out to the old 5-speed box to measure it out and man, what an improvement over stock! It reduces the overall throw by 38% (~3.0") which is a fantastic improvement, and the knob sits ~1" lower than stock. When ordered from UnderSteer it also comes with a new plastic mounting ring and washers (don't need the washers though) to clean up old shifter slop. The results looked really promising; it offered a nicely lowered knob, much shorter shifts, was stock dampened, and the pre-bent lower section looked like it'd bolt right in. So I moved to test-fitting it on my 6-speed...

Note: All fitting was done in my '03 325Xi with a 6-speed swap; this is made as a guide and I can't 100% guarantee your fit will be the same as mine.

This is the part where I started to get a little worried; I remembered in RedBull's thread that the Z4 wouldn't fit when it was a straight shaft and he ended up bending both the shift lever and the linkage to make it work. I measured the amount of room for the lower part of the lever and it's just over 2", almost exactly the length of the lower part of the Z4 pre-bent lever. Using a magnet, a bent coat-hanger and a screwdriver I lifted/installed the linkage and tested it out. Amazingly enough, it fits and shifts with no interference! Using a bore-scope I looked at the space underneath, and it's a couple millimeters at best; talk about a tight fit! Not only did the pre-bending of the lower end give it just enough clearance to fit, it also sat beautifully in the console! I was/am thoroughly impressed that it simply fit like a glove and that no further bending was required; fantastic!

I took the car for a test-drive and the shifter feels insanely better than the before! The ZHP knob sits lower which lines it up smoothly with the level of the armrest, and the shifts are quite short. It does require a bit more effort than the stock lever, but it's nothing substantial and I'll likely be completely used to it in a couple of days. If feels wonderful, and it's the best option for the 6-speed in my book.

I originally recommended the Z3M lever, but I can say without a doubt that since the lower part of the lever is longer than the Z4, the Z3M lever is going to hit the trans/transfercase and it will not work. I'm going to remove it from the list as I don't think it's a good option anymore. Also, this Z4 lever was tested on my 6-speed, so fitment confirmation is needed for the 5-speed. Since the trans/t-case are notched on the 6-speed, this shift lever may be too long under the ball for the 5-speed. (may cause linkage interference) Further testing from a 5-speed member will be required. If you have a 6-speed though, this appears to be a direct-fit part and I highly recommend it. As a side note, since these are pre-bent by UnderSteer I'm not sure how much variance in bending there is between individual levers. I'd imagine that they use measurements and a machine of some sort to make all the bends very consistent though. As always, your mileage may vary. Comparison photos and test-fitting photos are included as always
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Z3, Z4, E60, Megan, Comparison.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	672609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre-Bent Z4 3rd.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	672617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre-Bent Z4 4th.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	672625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre-bent Z4 Neutral.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	672633  

Name:	Pre-bent Z4 Reverse.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	672641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre-bent Z4 6th.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	672649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre-bent Z4 F10 ZHP Knob Neutral.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	672657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre-bent Z4 F10 ZHP Knob Height.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	672665  

Last edited by Melbowski; 08-15-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #11
xi46

My Ride: 2002 330xi ZPP/SP/CW
Great thread! Not sure if this is useful information, but I recently tried installing the E60 545i lever in my 5-speed 330xi and the part below the ball was too long, causing the selector rod to rub on the transfer case.
xi46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #12
Melbowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi46 View Post
Great thread! Not sure if this is useful information, but I recently tried installing the E60 545i lever in my 5-speed 330xi and the part below the ball was too long, causing the selector rod to rub on the transfer case.
All fitment information is useful information, and I appreciate you taking the time to post up your fitment results! What shift lever did you end up going with? I'm thinking the knock-off Dinan levers are going to be the best bet for the early 5-speeds for stock-like comfort with shorter shifts. I'm not sure if the later 5-speeds have sufficient clearance for the Z4 lever (they all come with a notched t-case after the 6-speed was introduced) so I'll have to wait for someone to test it out. Similarly, I'm using a modified early t-case with my 6-speed (I cut the notch in it, but it should be the same as stock) so I'd like more confirmation if anyone with a stock 6-speed should try the pre-bent Z4 lever from UnderSteer. The original post has been updated with the information you've provided and you have been credited as such. Thank you again for posting up!

If anyone has any other fitment experience I'd appreciate it being added to this thread. Information on the Dinan knock-off or even a cheapo Chinese SSK would be helpful. Honestly, the Dinan knock-off is probably going to be our best bet for an early 5-speed solution that's pretty cheap (~$45) so I'd really like fitment testing of that. Thanks again to all those who have contributed!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dinan SSK2.png
Views:	93
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	678137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinan Knock-Off.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	678145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinese SSK.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	678153  

Last edited by Melbowski; 09-04-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Extra Information
Old 09-13-2017, 02:56 AM   #13
xi46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbowski View Post
All fitment information is useful information, and I appreciate you taking the time to post up your fitment results! What shift lever did you end up going with? I'm thinking the knock-off Dinan levers are going to be the best bet for the early 5-speeds for stock-like comfort with shorter shifts. The original post has been updated with the information you've provided and you have been credited as such. Thank you again for posting up!
I'm glad the info on that was useful. Unfortunately I ended up reusing my stock lever because I didn't have anything else on hand at the time and wanted to be able to drive again.

I'm going to be getting back into the shifter area sooner than I realized, so I'm ordering the knock-off Dinan kit and we'll see how that works. I'm ordering through AliExpress instead of Ebay. Same Chinese knock-off but $13 cheaper after a signup coupon and 6-13 day shipping instead of 13-40.

I'll make sure to share my findings here!

Last edited by xi46; 09-13-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:14 AM   #14
EvaJuli

This looks close to my RD SSK kit.

I am looking at the pic and trying to figure out how that blue cup stays in the carrier?
Mine has 4 little hex screws that keep it secured. Does this just slide in with those O-rings?

Quote:
I'm glad the info on that was useful. Unfortunately I ended up reusing my stock lever because I didn't have anything else on hand at the time and wanted to be able to drive again.

I'm going to be getting back into the shifter area sooner than I realized, so I'm ordering the knock-off Dinan kit and we'll see how that works. I'm ordering through AliExpress instead of Ebay. Same Chinese knock-off but $13 cheaper after a signup coupon and 6-13 day shipping instead of 13-40.

I'll make sure to share my findings here!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
xi46

Quote:

I am looking at the pic and trying to figure out how that blue cup stays in the carrier?

Mine has 4 little hex screws that keep it secured. Does this just slide in with those O-rings?

Is the brand of yours just RD? I'm not familiar with them. If it's this type of shifter though there seem to be dozens of companies selling the exact same thing under their name.

My guess is that the snap ring holds it in place, it comes with hardware that's not shown, or I'll have to make it work myself. I've seen YouTube videos of people installing Ebay short shifters so I'm going to see if there's a video of one like this.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #16
Melbowski

Quote:

Quote:
Is the brand of yours just RD? I'm not familiar with them. If it's this type of shifter though there seem to be dozens of companies selling the exact same thing under their name.

My guess is that the snap ring holds it in place, it comes with hardware that's not shown, or I'll have to make it work myself. I've seen YouTube videos of people installing Ebay short shifters so I'm going to see if there's a video of one like this.
Best i can tell, the Dinan Knock-off uses a snap-ring to mount the cup, much like the more generic Chinese SSK. It looks like the real Dinan models use snap-rings as well. The o-rings help to center the cup so it can fit a multitude of BMW models, that way they only make one cup design and a couple different levers to cover just about every model with this style linkage. I'll be interested to see results, especially knowing that you got it on the cheap! XD Thank you for taking the time to test it out for the community.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #17
EvaJuli

Here is the RD Sport SS that I just took out of my 2002 XI Wagon.
This kit came with a cup that raises the shifter ball too, I didnt take any pics of it.
The length of the rod can be adjusted by the small hex set screw on the body, it slides within a channel allowing for about 1inch of length adjustment.

I switched to the E60 545 instead. It is very mushy compared to the RDSport kit, I think the majority of this is from the rubber between the top and bottom parts of the shifter rod. On the RDSport kit it is a direct mount- there is no rubber to cushion any vibration coming from the transmision.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171210_160303.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	709489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171210_160316.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	709497  

Last edited by EvaJuli; 12-10-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #18
Chinglish

My Ride: 02 E46xi
EvaJuli, can you post a picture of where you cut to make the bottom of the shifter accessible from inside the car? I really don't want to drop everything just to access one clip.
Chinglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:52 PM   #19
dutchhome

My Ride: 2004 330xi
I'd like to reawaken this thread. I've looked at the link above for the pre-bent Z4 shifter at understeer but I can't figure out which one is being referred to in the top post. Looking for the best option for a 2004 330xi 6-speed. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by dutchhome; 11-17-2019 at 09:57 PM.
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #20
Melbowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
I'd like to reawaken this thread. I've looked at the link above for the pre-bent Z4 shifter at understeer but I can't figure out which one is being referred to in the top post. Looking for the best option for a 2004 330xi 6-speed. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
When I purchased mine I did it on their eBay store, this is the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z3-1-9-...53.m2749.l2649

The shifter you're after is the Z3 1.9/2.3/2.5 SSK; it fit my 6 speed swap like a glove, though I never got confirmed fitment on a stock 6 speed. Their website unfortunately doesn't have separate product pages, so it's super confusing. Let me know if it works for you, hope that helps ***128522;