M56 to M54 Fuel Tank/Pump Swap Help - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
Deesbimmer

My Ride: 2003 325i M56
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: Steptronic
M56 to M54 Fuel Tank/Pump Swap Help

Hey guys i have an m56. Its low miles still almost 69k and i plan to drive it hard. I plan to sell it once i pass 100k or so as i would love a manual or e90 but im not really in a rush as i enjoy the sulev so far.

ANY HELP with the mystical fuel tank ??

Ive done some research but cant find a successful swap were someone either retrofitted a new fuel pump onto the m56 tank or entirely swapped over the m54 fuel tank from a donor/junk yard which could be easy to find.
Deesbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Define "drive it hard." Does this mean you want to modify the car? If so, how?

AFAIK the entire fuel delivery system is M56- or M54-specific. Meaning you'd have to swap over fuel lines, evap system, etc etc. E46s being as cheap as they are, if you want to modify the car, it's much cheaper and easier to simply sell the car and buy an M54-powered one.

Otherwise, there's still a lot you can do on a M56 car (suspension, appearance, etc). There are a couple of folks on here with very nicely-sorted M56 cars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #3
wfx32

My Ride: AWD
Model: 330XI 08/2004
Transmission: auto
yeah the internal fuel pump design is silly but i have learned to respect the m56. the ccv and valve cover on the m56 are so much better than the m54. and the fuel delivery system is all stainless steel? i would just keep the m56 and work with it. install a manual transmission if you want. i'm sure some folks here have already solved the fuel pump issue.
wfx32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
If you're not particularly attached to the car and are already eyeing a replacement, I'd just do that. It will cost you a lot more money to keep the car after the fuel pump breaks.

TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
Deesbimmer

I guess the decision is to either drive it until the fuel pump goes and junk it or part with it once im happy with the miles i got out of it which like i said probably 100k id start putting it up for sale.

Runs great
Its already got megan racing coils, aftermarket radio and I did a handful of maintenance so far with more little addons coming like rtabs and custom headliner.

If someone has solved this fuel pump issue i would love to know how so i can decide if i want to deal with the headache or not. Maybe someone will buy it off me on here

* So many people are asking an arm and a leg for high mileage e36/e46 so i dont think il have trouble selling it around 100k miles for 2-3k. Correct me if im wrong anyone

Last edited by Deesbimmer; 12-12-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
with low miles I would just drive it. just be sure to use quality gas and not some “thrifty” gas stations (with unknown quality and bad tank filters). also don’t run your gas tank very low/empty. these things can cause early failure. otherwise the pumps can last 175k-225k without issue.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
gagi

My Ride: E46 325i
No one tried inline 5-bar fuel pump?
gagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Someone with skills need to cut open the SULEV tank and remove the Fuel Pump. It can't be a magical part; it must have a part number on it. Replace, weld tank back together.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
Someone with skills need to cut open the SULEV tank and remove the Fuel Pump. It can't be a magical part; it must have a part number on it. Replace, weld tank back together.
That is what I would attempt, an M56 fuel pump replacement retrofit and document/photograph it. The basic plan would be:
- Drain out all fuel and clear out all fumes
- Cut open the tank at the top where the fuel pump mounts
- Carefully remove the old pump and level sender assembly
- Replace just the electric pump, I think it runs at 75 PSI
- Install an access panel, like what the M54 has, and retrofit the pump and level sender assembly to fit
- Install everything and check for leaks

BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I don't want to be any where close to you when you start welding on a gas tank. Maybe practice welding sticks of dynamite together lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
wfx32

Quote:
i guess that is bad news
ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
One of the problems is that the pump is controlled via PWM and regulated to 5-bar (atmospheric reference, not vacuum).

Personally I think your best hope is to use an e46 M3 fuel pump, relay, and regulator with the vacuum line disconnected. e46 M3 setup is designed to push 5 bar, so it should be able feed the SULEV system properly.
i like this idea of retrofitting the m3 equipment.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #12
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
I don't want to be any where close to you when you start welding on a gas tank. Maybe practice welding sticks of dynamite together lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The thing is plastic so there won't be any welding in the traditional sense.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #13
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Just steam it out and there's no issue whatsoever. A good shop will know what to do.

Quote:
The thing is plastic so there won't be any welding in the traditional sense.
The M56 tank is stainless, no?

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #14
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

Quote:
I don't want to be any where close to you when you start welding on a gas tank.
You remove the fuel fumes by displacement, either with water or an inert gas. Pretty common when fixing a metal gas tank.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #15
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
The M56 tank is stainless, no?
The lines are, the tank is still plastic.

Actually I see the pdf claims the tank is stainless, but that sure looks like plastic

Sulev:

Non-SULEV

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-12-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #16
wfx32

Quote:
The lines are, the tank is still plastic.

so /almost/ all of the fuel system is stainless. i’m still jealous. to me that’s the appeal of the m56 sulev design.. it should last longer with fewer fuel delivery problems ..

but then the system fails catastrophically with the internal pump. so if the tanks are basically the same shape, i don’t understand why someone hasn’t already done this. no need because of the extended warranty?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #17
TerraPhantm

So realOEM does call it metal, but god damn that picture really looks like plastic to me. Don't physically have a tank in front of me to tap.

In any case, a swap is probably feasible, just somewhat involved. You'd either need to add a pump with a built in regulator and filter to the non-SULEV tank (perhaps a Z4/X3/E9x pump/regulator/filter can be made to fit), or you need to figure out how to add a filter and regulator to the existing lines.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #18
wfx32

Quote:
In any case, a swap is probably feasible, just somewhat involved. You'd either need to add a pump with a built in regulator and filter to the non-SULEV tank (perhaps a Z4/X3/E9x pump/regulator/filter can be made to fit), or you need to figure out how to add a filter and regulator to the existing lines.

at 2:12 in that youtube video above it shows where you could install the regular fuel filter/regulator from an m54?

btw i did see the local independent here (not the guy in the video) remove the tank from a sulev e46.

i remember asking him “hey isn’t that the one with the terrible fuel pump inside” and he said he was replacing it. i’ll find out whether he bought the whole tank. i think he may have done this pump mod already.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #19
Deesbimmer

Interesting thoughts! The tank does look plastic i thought only the fuel lines were stainless. Anyway if i choose to keep it and take on the project i do feel like the m3 fuel pump retrofit would be the easiest for me to complete. Dropping the whole tank for a m54 swap is possible too but the vacuum and fuel lines seem involved and something that i dont want to messup.

Get back to me what your independent guy ended up doing.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:52 AM   #20
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesbimmer View Post
Interesting thoughts! The tank does look plastic i thought only the fuel lines were stainless. Anyway if i choose to keep it and take on the project i do feel like the m3 fuel pump retrofit would be the easiest for me to complete. Dropping the whole tank for a m54 swap is possible too but the vacuum and fuel lines seem involved and something that i dont want to messup.

Get back to me what your independent guy ended up doing.
I think the minimum needed is retrofitting the pump/sender unit to be removable and replacing the electric pump. Keep everything else as-is.