Corona Time - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Corona Time

Anyone tackling a new project because they are trapped at home? It is a crap situation, and my business is suffering, but the silver lining is I have no commute, which gives me 1.5 more hours per day, and since I can't leave, the projects are getting done:

1. Total intake refresh on friend's convertible (198k miles)
2. Finishing interior swap on touring, including re-wrapping the steering wheel
3. Tranny flush and underbody clean
4. Figure out why my vert doesn't start!

Anyone else getting motivated to do bigger projects?
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Lol heck ya!

Rear diff and trailing arm bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
My car hasn't moved in a week... Been WFH.

I should tackle some projects, but the 240Z has been sucking up all the oxygen in the room, STS. I have a new FSR ready to go in; might do that this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
Aidzer0

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2001
Model: 325i
Transmission: S5D 250G
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
Lol heck ya!

Rear diff and trailing arm bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

In the same boat as you, changing rear diff mount on Saturday.
Aidzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2009 535x
CCV, fuel injector cleaning, and Valve cover gasket time for me... I'll do the motor mounts next week maybe. WFH as well, but means I get more time with the kiddos which I prefer to all the other options.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Getting the car repainted at the moment and the wait is absolutely killing me!

"Maybe ill go outside and fix up the.... ah **** I don't have the car..."

Send help!
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
doukas007

My Ride: e46 320 coupe
Model: 320ci
Transmission: manual
I did some work on the disa but I have financial restraints at the moment . good thing is I go for a ride alone with my car once per day so I quite enjoy it
I also washed the car 3 times in 4 days

ps .anyone knows how to remove the diaphragm cap from the disa , I am almost certain mine is teared and it's tricky to remove

Last edited by doukas007; 03-19-2020 at 04:40 PM.
doukas007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #8
Silence*

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
My dealership is still open for the time being so I'm collecting parts for if we close down. So far I have the OFH gasket, oil change, microfilter, sparkplugs and a steering rack on my list of things collected & to do. I'll probably give the interior a very good cleaning at some point too.

Silence* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #9
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
I have been saving parts for a full suspension incl. wheel bearings and tie rods on my '03 530i with 400k. Started last Friday..ran into complications with strut removal and re-assembly and what should have taken 2 days took the better part of 4..Still don't have tie rods/wheels even close to straight...though I will get aligned next Monday...
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #10
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
I shouldn't complain because most people will be hit harder (UC scientist), but they are shutting us down for at least two months.
I really, really didn't need the vacation right now, but it is what it is.

Ironically, even though I will suddenly have lots of time (more than I ever had in my life), I won't be able to do a lot of the work on the E46 I have been planing for months, since it would involve close interaction with others.

Things that I kept postponing, but can do now:
- Repaint a used center console and cup holders mate black (will try the same mate black paint as for the steering wheel trim), recover the center armrest with Alcantara.
- Adapt E90 roof crossbars to fit my car (realized the E46 sedan crossbars are discontinued and the used ones have become hard to find at good price/condition), then mount two bicycle racks on top.

Things I want to do, but shouldn't during the isolation period:
- Partial paint job / correction. Both bumper covers and the hood need repainting, several door dents to PDR, the gloss pillar trim and the shadow-line trim should be either repainted or replaced (these pieces are now ****** expensive), and the door and bumper trim could use a refresh.
This is not a small project, not to even try on my own. I was thinking of working together with a body shop guy I know, but right now I shouldn't.

- Differential work. The differential needs one of the front mounts time-serted. It is temporarily fixed using a longer bolt and a nut at the back side of the mount - it holds alright, but I don't like it. Don't feel like doing it alone though, it's a much easier job with a helper.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 03-19-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #11
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Doing a lot of DME and EGS updates for people lately, mostly remote, but some brave souls have been driving out to my house.

I feel like this is appropriate here...

Last edited by BaliDawg; 03-20-2020 at 08:26 AM.
BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
doukas007

My Ride: e46 320 coupe
Model: 320ci
Transmission: manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Doing a lot of DME and EGS updates for people lately, mostly remote, but some braves souls have been driving out to my house.

I feel like this is appropriate here...

Hahaha

One of those days I ll shoot you a pm, I still can't figure some installs and the dme upgrade even though I have successfully installed ista p and d and inpa

doukas007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #13
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effduration View Post
I have been saving parts for a full suspension incl. wheel bearings and tie rods on my '03 530i with 400k. Started last Friday..ran into complications with strut removal and re-assembly and what should have taken 2 days took the better part of 4..Still don't have tie rods/wheels even close to straight...though I will get aligned next Monday...
Key for me was start at the steering wheel and work down. Make sure the wheel is aligned on the shaft (with the dot) and then turn the wheel all the way left, then count the revs right, then turn half that number to find center.

Remove the key.

Measure the inner tie rods from the center of the rack. If they are not equal, then your rack is not aligned with the steering column. Fix there.

Then make the outer tie rods equally threaded from the rack. If it is off at that point, you can adjust.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #14
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 340i | 325Ci
Yep! I've been remote since last week so I'm avoiding my 30 mile round trip commute. Nice to give the car a break. A few days ago I did my 30k intake service (inspected everything, cleaned the DISA/ICV), replaced the MAF, and changed the ATF.

This weekend I plan on tackling my oil pan gasket. I'll be installing OEM ZHP control arms since I think the Meyles are shot after 50k. Also gonna swap sway bushings/links on both axles and RSM's. I did most of it between 40-50k ago, but the parts are so cheap it's sort of a "why not" thing. It's crazy how cheap the Lemförder suspension parts have become on these cars!
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
Hahaha

One of those days I ll shoot you a pm, I still can't figure some installs and the dme upgrade even though I have successfully installed ista p and d and inpa
Let me set it up for ya. Only takes 10 minutes, guaranteed to work, and ya cannot beat the price. (free)
I’m just gonna PM you my phone number. Let’s get this done!

BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #16
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
I got my order of Genuine BMW front control arms and bushings from ECS Tuning today so I have a few hours of work in the garage while sheltering in place.

Everything is closed over here and getting sketchy. No restaurants open, drive thru or take out only. Businesses are closed, life is on hold.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200319_212433.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	796099  

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 03-19-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #17
LeMansteve

My Ride: sold - '04 330i
One perk of being salary is, I can work from home!

One downside to being salary is, I am expected to work from home whenever possible, with no reduction in output.

Add to that suddenly having to home school your Kindergartener and tend to your 2 year old (who happens to be potty training) for the next 2 weeks, at least.

And, my wife is also working from home. Both of us need to get our 40-50 hours in, which requires even more coordination of schedules.

Sh!t, I wish I had all this extra time to do stuff around the house. I barely have time to make meals for myself and have a beer each day. I would MUCH RATHER be in the office, but they told us to go home for 2 weeks.

Last edited by LeMansteve; 03-19-2020 at 09:39 PM.
LeMansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #18
L8Braker35

No work stop here but I’m compiling parts for the weekend when the wife, daughter and I essentially self-quarantine. FL hasn’t instituted drastic measures yet, but the closing of bars and beaches was a little painful. FCABs going in this weekend, and cooling system refresh next weekend. Just passed 100K on my ‘01 ZSP while driving home today.
L8Braker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #19
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
I got my order of Genuine BMW front control arms and bushings from ECS Tuning today so I have a few hours of work in the garage while sheltering in place.
and particular reason you didn't go with ZHP arms since you went Genuine BMW. you looking for a more compliant ride?
also kinda shocked not going with FCP Euro for Lifetime warranty

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:09 PM   #20
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
been wishing to get some time for the car now being on lockdown. but of course it barely seems to rain in SoCal except this week so that messed up those plans.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote