Saltwater Aquarium Build... - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #21
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Cool

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #22
Maniac

My Ride: platinum ecoboost R6
get some reactors to run carbon and or phosphate remover and or biopellets in i plumbed mine so they are ran off my return pump much easier and more maintaince free than having some maxijet powerheads in the sump

" border="0" />
Quote:
Attractive and stable works for me...I'd rather help wifey program the stove clock than wonder if she purposely left the gas on :eek:

grey green metallic-gone
platinum ecoboost on 35 toyo MTs
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
alex1524

My Ride: 2002 Bmw 325ci
Send a message via AIM to alex1524
Sorry for the crappy pics but here is my lighting system. They wanted $399 at the store and I picked it up for $180 shipped! It is a Coralife High output T5 system.

All lights on...

Moon Lights Only...

Two Built in fans to keep the temps down...

alex1524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #24
JTLaz

My Ride: 2010 Wrangler 4 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05graysport View Post
ive always wanted to do this. I wonder if its a lot of work to upkeep the salt and ph levels to prevent floaters?
+1
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #25
gusdagoos

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to gusdagoos
Looking real good. If those are stock bulbs that come with the fixture most people change them out to better quality and colored ones. How many bulbs?

Its really not a lot of upkeep as far as keeping fish. All you need to do is adjust for evaporation which is done by topping off with RO/DI water. Its more work when you want to keep corals but with some research and time its not bad.

gusdagoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #26
alex1524

Its 4 bulbs 39 Watts each. Its two 10,000k bulbs and two Actinic Bluelight bulbs.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #27
gusdagoos

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to gusdagoos
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1524 View Post
Its 4 bulbs 39 Watts each. Its two 10,000k bulbs and two Actinic Bluelight bulbs.
Nice! Are you planning on keeping coral in the future? If so, after about 9-12 months they say to replace the bulbs. Check out reefgeek.com for bulbs and search google for nice 4 bulb combinations.

gusdagoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #28
alex1524

Yeah man. After I get all my plumbing in which should be Nov 2nd I'm going to hook everything up. Then I'm going to go on my boat and go way out there and grab sand and 60 something gallons of water to save money! I emailed Florida Department of Environmental Protection and asked them if its cool. They said there are no restrictions to getting water. There are for sand BUT not the quantity that I want. They said go right ahead. This will save me a lot of money between sand and water. Then I need to get some Live rock. I haven't decided what kind or where to buy it yet. Once all that is in the tank I'm going to let it cycle. Then once its cycled put in a clean up crew. Then in the future throw some corals and fish in there. I'm being patient and doing it right. Not trying to rush anything. I enjoy it.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #29
alex1524

Overflow Plumbing...

Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #30
rkhettry23

My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1524 View Post
Yeah man. After I get all my plumbing in which should be Nov 2nd I'm going to hook everything up. Then I'm going to go on my boat and go way out there and grab sand and 60 something gallons of water to save money! I emailed Florida Department of Environmental Protection and asked them if its cool. They said there are no restrictions to getting water. There are for sand BUT not the quantity that I want. They said go right ahead. This will save me a lot of money between sand and water. Then I need to get some Live rock. I haven't decided what kind or where to buy it yet. Once all that is in the tank I'm going to let it cycle. Then once its cycled put in a clean up crew. Then in the future throw some corals and fish in there. I'm being patient and doing it right. Not trying to rush anything. I enjoy it.
Why are you cutting corners on water/sand? You never know the tiny micro-organisms that could be living in that sand....you want to introduce that into your tank? Seems strange...You will need to buy a 5gallon bucket of salt anyway. I assume you have an RO unit already so, I'm not really seeing the cost savings vs the problems that may arise....feel free to PM me, I have 3 tanks and am currently building 2 180gal (one reef, one planted) tanks into my new family room. Been reef keeping for over 5 years now. GL

2002 325xi--Parted Out
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #31
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
awesome can't wait for the finish product
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #32
monkeyjuice5150

My Ride: bmw
You're going to need an RO setup in the garage and maybe like a 25 gallo rubbermaid trash can or storage container to have water for ready every week maintenance.
monkeyjuice5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #33
rkhettry23

My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 View Post
You're going to need an RO setup in the garage and maybe like a 25 gallo rubbermaid trash can or storage container to have water for ready every week maintenance.
Yup and make sure you have a sink or whatever to drain the waste water. For every gallon of RO water you produce, its something like 1-2 gallons of waste is created. I have mine in a sink with a 5 gal bucket to collect the RO. Also keep extra fresh RO in a few OJ/Water containers as you will use that to top off the tank. If you keep adding saltwater, your salinity will increase too high as only the water evaporates, not the salt.

2002 325xi--Parted Out
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #34
alex1524

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while. Been real busy with school and researching stuff for the tank. BUT finally all the research paid off and tomorrow I will have the tank up and running. Tomorrow I'm going to the fish store to get live rock and salt water. I already bought some sand the other day. Here is pretty much the finished product before I put in the sand, rock, and water. I also filled it with fresh water the other day and left it running over night to make sure there were no leaks or anything. Everything seems to be running smoothly. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Last edited by alex1524; 11-11-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #35
NJ///M

My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4
for fishes

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #36
alex1524

I won't have fishes for a while =-( I need to cycle the tank which can last to about a month =-/ Plus I want to make sure my water parameters are perfect for a while before I add any fish or coral. I'll post pics later though of the types of fish I will be putting in the future!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #37
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
I would think twice about having your flatscreen right above your tank. It looks like you are going "topless" and you will inevitably have microscopic droplets of salt water atomized from your return nozzle. Not good for the internals of the TV. If you take your light apart after about 9-12 months, you will see some salt residue on the fans. Either move the TV or get a cover for the tank. Topless is cool, but covered is more practical. You will be reducing your evaporation A LOT.

Lemonsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #38
dava92

My Ride: 01' Jetta
Tank looks cool!
dava92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #39
alex1524

Well! Today was the big day. I went and purchased 57 lbs of live rock and water. Put it all in and did some aquascaping. Here is the end result...

And now.... I wait =-) If you're wondering why that oddball purple rock is there, I have an answer! So the purple stuff is called Coralline algae and that's good for your tank. So0o I plan on scraping some of that purple off and spreading it around my tank so the spores seed onto the other rocks and before you know it, instead of spending $7.99 a lb for that purple rock, I spent $4.99 and i'll eventually get the same effect.

Last edited by alex1524; 11-12-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #40
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Looks great! One day I'd love yo get into this when I have the money and time!

Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote