Here's What Suspension to Buy. - Page 12 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #221
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboard1294 View Post
Sorry. Overall, why do you care about what I do with my car?
They're just tryin to help you out man, i haven't been on this forum for a wicked long time but in the time i have been I've realized Rob and zander know their stuff. I'd take their advice any day!
Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #222
snowboard1294

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Yeah I understand that, I didn't mean to be rude to them. I already know the pros, cons, and consequences of running the tires I am. Hence the reason why I am currently searching for a new set up. I was only trying to share my experience with my suspension set up. But thank you for your input Jason. I realize I should probably be more humble for the information I can learn through forums and other BMW owners.
snowboard1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #223
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboard1294 View Post
Sorry. Overall, why do you care about what I do with my car?
You can do wherever you want. Part of it was to inform you and others if they are searching the forum in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #224
johnnyv06

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Does anyone have a photo or two of an xi with koni and h&r? That is the setup I'm looking to get but I'm not sure what the ride height looks like afterward.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #225
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv06 View Post
Does anyone have a photo or two of an xi with koni and h&r? That is the setup I'm looking to get but I'm not sure what the ride height looks like afterward.
Have you read this? Read this and his other work before you buy anything, don't get koni rear shocks because adjusting them sucks.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1112564

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Rob43 Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

E46 M3's are just tasty snacks i eat for lunch.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #226
mr_y82

My Ride: 01 325xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv06 View Post
I have H&R with Bilstein... not sure how the Koni differs... I know Konis ride a little lower than Tokicos on my mx-5, but that's obviously irrelevant.

http://s335.photobucket.com/user/mr_...3J964.jpg.html (more pics here...)

mr_y82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #227
dragondrpr

My Ride: e46
hey whats up Rob43....whats your facebook....
dragondrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #228
wcushing75

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
You don't need to apologize, you can do whatever you want with your car.

Rob43
Hey Rob43 I had some questions for you but your inbox is full

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using E46Fanatics mobile app
wcushing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #229
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcushing75 View Post
Hey Rob43 I had some questions for you but your inbox is full

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using E46Fanatics mobile app
He's been MIA for a while now. It'd be nice if some of the folks that have taken advice from him document their decision making process and exactly which parts they purchased and for what reason. At least then everyone else can have all the information to use in their decision making process.

GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #230
KCPBMW

My Ride: 325Xi W/Rob43 Susp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
He's been MIA for a while now. It'd be nice if some of the folks that have taken advice from him document their decision making process and exactly which parts they purchased and for what reason. At least then everyone else can have all the information to use in their decision making process.
I got my rob43 suspension a few months back. There's a reason he consults on a individulal basis for guys, this way their suspension is built right with no mistakes. There's alot of choices, he goes over all of them so the end guy gets exactly the right system. You can always roll the dice and buy what you think will work.
KCPBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #231
mr_y82

I agree with GCoop (maybe I am biased I have a dog I call Coop and my name starts with G!); if Rob is gone (hope he is ok), it would be better if there was a thread detailing the parts lists, and the expectations and outcome for individuals who have experience... Otherwise they are even more blind when making decisions... I personally have to problem with the H&R/Bilstein setup and plan to replace things with poly as I dig into the suspension... but I do understand this setup may be a little harsh for some who prioritize a comfy ride over handling.

Cheers!

Old 06-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #232
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_y82 View Post
I agree with GCoop (maybe I am biased I have a dog I call Coop and my name starts with G!); if Rob is gone (hope he is ok), it would be better if there was a thread detailing the parts lists, and the expectations and outcome for individuals who have experience... Otherwise they are even more blind when making decisions... I personally have to problem with the H&R/Bilstein setup and plan to replace things with poly as I dig into the suspension... but I do understand this setup may be a little harsh for some who prioritize a comfy ride over handling.

Cheers!
ya, gonna disagree.

once you go through robs phone call process you will understand, it's very involved. all the guys that go through this process are the real winners, not rob, his service is top notch and takes time.

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Rob43 Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

E46 M3's are just tasty snacks i eat for lunch.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #233
TR4G-

My Ride: E36/8 3.0i, E46 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post

Bilstein Part Numbers:
24-024532 x2 (Rear HD E46)
24-024532 x2 (Rear HD E36 M3)
22-052810 (Left HD Strut) x1
22-052827 (Right HD Strut) x1
22-052834 (Left Sport Strut) x1
22-052841 (Right Sport Strut) x1
SamDoe1,

Regarding Bilstein struts, I found this other thread stating that if you use Bilstein HD struts with lowering springs that lower the car more than 0.75' then you are voiding your warranty.

From my understanding, bilsteins B6 line is for OEM springs, whereas the B8 line is for lowering springs. And the HDs are B6s and the Sports are B8s.

However, when looking at kits that include part numbers, and plugging in your your E46 Rear HD PN (24-024532)... it shows that as a B8 (sport) rear strut. Both kits on turnermotorsports website (the e46 HD bilstein set and the e46 sport bilstein set) have B8 struts for the rear....

this leads me to believe that there is only one rear shock offered for XI models and that is the B8 sport strut....

so would that mean that using the B8 strut on OEM non lowering springs would decrease the life of the rear strut? due to the fact it was designed for lowering springs (hence the sport and B8 name)? Or does that really only matter for the front struts considering they have both teh B6 and the B8s....

Kind of a silly question, but figured I would shoot it your way

TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #234
thereem

My Ride: 330xi. kenworth t680
Has anyone paired eibach springs with Bilstein sports? Would like to save some money over koni.

I know someone with hnr and bilstein and the ride was ridiculous especially the rear, the car would bounce like a civic with cut springs

Ecs tuning has ksport coilovers for 900. They have adjustable damping too. Anyone has these?
thereem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #235
mr_y82

^ It's not too hard for my 3 month old daughter! Mama might disagree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
ya, gonna disagree.

once you go through robs phone call process you will understand, it's very involved. all the guys that go through this process are the real winners, not rob, his service is top notch and takes time.
Just saw this... I respect your point of view. No here... Cheers.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:59 PM   #236
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Here's What Suspension to Buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereem View Post
Has anyone paired eibach springs with Bilstein sports? Would like to save some money over koni.

I know someone with hnr and bilstein and the ride was ridiculous especially the rear, the car would bounce like a civic with cut springs

Ecs tuning has ksport coilovers for 900. They have adjustable damping too. Anyone has these?
I have H&R's on my XI and the rear is not bouncy at all. In fact if you have decent shocks controlling any springs you will have no bounce. Bounce means the shock or strut is unable to effectively control the spring.

If you want to lower your XI go with Eibachs/Koni Yellows/with drop hats or Rob43's setup because it works better and is cheaper.

Eibachs/Koni Yellows/with drop hats you can expect a 14F and 13.5R (measuring from the middle of the wheel cap to the fender).
Stock XI is 15.8F and 14.6R.

Rob43's Progressive spring setup can range from being a little lower to a little higher when compared to the 14F and 13.5R numbers above this, Rob43's Linear spring setup (special rates) can go very low. He customizes it to how you use the car, hence the variations.

Last edited by zander271; 09-15-2017 at 10:28 AM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #237
keltz071

My Ride: 325xi
How about the sway bar link... dont you need to replace them to a short 1???

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
keltz071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:22 AM   #238
dragondrpr

My Ride: e46
https://www.facebook.com/groups/739093402941699/
dragondrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #239
mr_y82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hoods View Post
You don't have to. Hr springs comes with a chart that informs you of how much to cut your originals. But if you want new ones the m3 work for me and think of compression, In my opinion new foam will allow a smoother compression then drier older foam. In my case 200+ miles. The rear m3 shocks with blue dust cover has the foam stops. No need to do anything except remove from box and install with new or old mounts. I went with rogue rear mount that have nuts in fender and replaceable bushing. Onetime inside panel removable to install As these cars are shop whores and New England roads are unforgiving I figured any replacement would be easier then removing interior
I called Bilsteinīs support line today and told them my old bumpstops are shot. I am replacing the rear shocks because one is shot. I bought the car with an older version of the xi shock, and am purchasing the B8s that also work on e36 M3 (part number BIL-24-024532). I was assured that I do NOT need to buy any bump stops because the bumpstop linked below is already installed underneath the blue dust cover... I am going to take them at their word unless someone has good evidence to the contrary!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-e4-b46-248b edit: this is the part number that Bilstein gave me... E4-B46-759... not sure how much it differs from the linked one.

I have not read the entire thread yet, but will edit accordingly if needed.

Thanks guys and drive on!

Edit: I read this thread and it reiterated that the e36 M3 rears only need the provided bump stop.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=830014

Last edited by mr_y82; 11-16-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: new info
Old 05-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #240
BMannyW

My Ride: 325ixt

i"m new to car DIY, but I swapped out my suspension this past weekend. I have a 2002 325xi Wagon.. PO had Bilsteins HD in front and what looked like original OEM shocks in rear. I found both rear springs broken and one rear shock completely leaked and other in poor condition. They were both rusted beyond recognition (i have photos) ... how did this pass a safety i do not know.

So, I kept the HD up front, Added E36 M3 Rears with new bump stops and dropped the whole thing on Eibach springs. I kept all the original spring pads and after seeing how it sits... will likely add a 14mm rear upper spring pad to raise the rear so the spacing is closer to what's up front. I understand that because i have an Xi, the fronts do not drop very much? Am i mistaken, or can i drop the front more? I thought i messed up the fronts as they hardly moved. thoughts?

Question, do I need to worry much about camber when i've only dropped it like 1.25/.75" ? What control arms would you recommend on the rear? Do I need to get adjustable, or is stock ok with the sport height?

I do like the stiffer ride and having a level stance at wheel wells is my goal.

thanks for any help!!

E.

PS.. know a body shop in Toronto that will swap out that wing for me? Case of beer? lol!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRM_EXPORT_20180515_204319.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	743312  
1988 M6 hot and heavy (5yrs)
2002 325ixt responsible choice (present DD)

Last edited by BMannyW; 05-18-2018 at 10:49 AM.
BMannyW is offline   Reply With Quote