Here's What Suspension to Buy. - Page 14 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #261
Zaknin

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Year: 2002
Model: 330xi
Transmission: A5S390R
I have assembled all stuff I needed, I have some questions though - where does little metal clamp thingy go (on struts)? Should it sit below strut hat? Koni installation manual in 3 pics isn't very helpful.

And I have some trouble with compressing springs and making them sit on strut, spring bends unevenly or just doesn't reach threaded part properly, should I ask for help, like second guy who'll press on top of the strut mount to make nut fit to thread? What about torque on top strut nut - official one is 47 ft/lb, Koni lists 25 ft/lb for 10mm struts, which should I use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drive 2 profile
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zaknin; 04-02-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Zaknin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #262
jdamore44

My Ride: '03 M3, '01 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaknin View Post
Well, I have E36 M rear Koni shocks now, waiting for front ones on backorder.

Setup will be:

Shocks: Koni front\rear (rear from E36 M3), probably will need bump stop and bump stop cover from 330ci\E46 M3
Spring: Eibach Pro-kit (bought)
SUFT015 drop hats - waiting for delivery (if anyone interested - supremepower.com still have them for 99 + shipping, just shoot them email)

I have 2 questions though:

1. Did anyone used camber plates with drop hats? Any advise about what to use would be appreciated.
2. Does Eibach\drop hat setup fully even out the car or I have to get 5mm rear spring pads instead of stock 14.5mm ones?
I was just quoted for 199 plus shipping for the SUFT015 for the XI version! They said the non-xi's are 99.
Wth!? What am I missing here?

EDIT: THE NON-XI version is the correct version for the E46 chassis.

Last edited by jdamore44; 04-16-2020 at 01:14 PM.
jdamore44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #263
GROUNDSKEEPERWILLY

My Ride: 2004 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaknin View Post
I have assembled all stuff I needed, I have some questions though - where does little metal clamp thingy go (on struts)? Should it sit below strut hat? Koni installation manual in 3 pics isn't very helpful.

And I have some trouble with compressing springs and making them sit on strut, spring bends unevenly or just doesn't reach threaded part properly, should I ask for help, like second guy who'll press on top of the strut mount to make nut fit to thread? What about torque on top strut nut - official one is 47 ft/lb, Koni lists 25 ft/lb for 10mm struts, which should I use?

That's a lock washer. Should NOT go on strut to my knowledge. If it came in the kit, you might have to call them. There is no lock washer on a factory strut.
Here is the spring compressor you need: https://www.amazon.com/8MILELAKE-Mac...8978158&sr=8-9
GROUNDSKEEPERWILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #264
Zaknin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUNDSKEEPERWILLY View Post
That's a lock washer. Should NOT go on strut to my knowledge. If it came in the kit, you might have to call them. There is no lock washer on a factory strut.
Here is the spring compressor you need: https://www.amazon.com/8MILELAKE-Mac...8978158&sr=8-9
Yes it was from kit, I have found this pic while searching for instructions (there was none in my boxes)

Lock nut goes under top strut nut, didn't expect that.

I have managed to compress springs by positioning compressor paw under strut, definitely not the safest option.

Did complete install yesterday, E36 M3 rears fits our xi without any problems, and they are definitely beefier than the stock shocks. Now I have to wait for this quarantine thingy to end, just to drive it around

Drive 2 profile

Last edited by Zaknin; 05-10-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #265
mr_y82

My Ride: 01 325xi Sedan
Are you not allowed to drive around for no reason? We can here and gas is really cheap right now... Great roads in the area, but I have not really taken advantage of the low traffic and cheap gas.

Enjoy!

mr_y82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:53 AM   #266
Zaknin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_y82 View Post
Are you not allowed to drive around for no reason? We can here and gas is really cheap right now... Great roads in the area, but I have not really taken advantage of the low traffic and cheap gas.

Enjoy!
Thanks! I literally have no reason (working from home, all necessary stores are in walking distance), some restrictions should be lifted at the end of the week.

If anyone is interested, here is approximate depth difference between stock and supersport drop hats in centimeters.

Drive 2 profile
Old 05-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #267
johnnyv06

My Ride: 2005 325xi
For those that used Eibach or H&R, which did you prefer on our xi's as far as drop was concerned AND ride comfort? I'm researching between the two and it sounds as if the Eibach will not drop as far but it keeps more ride comfort while the H&R goes lower and the ride becomes a bit more harsh.

What is the result between these two and the durability of our axles?

Any suggestion between either springs combined with the koni/bilsteins?
Old 05-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #268
mr_y82

My Ride: 01 325xi Sedan
Less drop probably = better for axles... your other info seems sound. I love the H&Rs and donīt mind the firmer ride, even with poly (including subframe mounts)...

I like my Bilsteins; had to replace the rears with m3 version due to a failure of one of the old style B8s, but even it lasted almost 100k miles...

Never used Koni or Eibach, but would not hesitate to, so take what I say with a grain of salt... loved Neuspeeds sport spring and KYB AGXes on my old Honda Prelude, not that that helps you, lol.

Last edited by mr_y82; 05-18-2020 at 02:45 PM.
mr_y82 is offline   Reply With Quote