2003 325Ci 'vert getting LS3 +T56 turn key project - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > E46 Engine Swaps

E46 Engine Swaps
Replacing your motor? From direct replacements to more exoctic engines, if it's going under the hood of an E46 3 Series this is the forum to discuss it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #21
M3cabriolet

My Ride: M3 Cabriolet
Year: 2003
Model: M3 Cabriolet
Transmission: Manual
M3 Rearend

Love the project. Did you consider a domestic rearend setup (ala 8.8 IRS from a Mustang, etc.) Just a couple full-power launches with that LS and your likely to need a flatbed to get home. Even a completely stock M3 can eat those output shafts and spit them out...

- CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremerd1 View Post
Well... It didn't take me long to get the next phase lined up.... A M3 rear end swap...

A bushing set is in route, the diff will be sent out for a full rebuild, and the trailing arms and diff carrier will be sent off for powdercoating before installing...

Dan B
M3cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #22
bremerd1

My Ride: 323
Year: 2000
Model: CI
Transmission: ZF 5HP19
I have considered replacing the rear end with a Ford 8.8. I decided to keep with the M3 end of things initially. The shops I work with (Fields BMW in Lakeland, Fl), and (of all places) a local AAMCO shop can work on the car if it's not too much of a unicorn. (Much less for me to keep track of if it's 'mostly' BMW with a Chevrolet drivetrain.)

I have a couple of e46's - If I find a Ford 8.8 is needed (crunch the M3 diff or a driveshaft), I'll execute on moving to the Ford 8.8 at that time. It'll (hopefully) give me time to get all the other non-critical items completely replaced--> The interior leather and carpet (while not trashed) could use a refresh, and the paint (while not horrible) does have seventeen years worth of rock chips, and at least one portion was re-sprayed previously (overspray on the rubber seal around the tonneau cover as a tell-tale). I figured I'd start with the mechanical items, get that completely right, get the interior done, then get it re-sprayed.

If I get all the way through the car (paint, interior, and anything else that pops up along the way), and the diff and axles survive, I most likely will do the Ford 8.8 anyway, and transfer the M3 rear end to my '00 323Ci 'vert when it gets pulled (that car already has a diff from a 08 Z4 3.0Si - it's already got the 3.62 or 3.64 ratio (can't remember the ratio offhand)---> best modification I've done to the automatic transmission car).

When I got the car getting the swap, I put a M54B25 back in it (bought it with a blown head due to overheating) so I could move it around and get the major mechanical addressed (all completed before dropping it off to get the swap). I also used it as training to teach both my sons to drive a stick-shift.

The swapped car won't see alot of use, and only see the dragstrip occasionally; I'm not rough on cars, so I'm not expecting the diff to die an early death (The AAMCO shop pulled the diff out of the carrier, and I swapped it for a reman unit from diffsonline; the diff itsself will be 'like new').

If it eats the axles/output shafts, I know they sell 1000Hp rated replacements. I didn't replace the axles for that very reason - Left them (somewhat) crusty on the outside (you can't see them). I powdercoated the diff carrier and rear trailing arms because I don't want to pull either of those back off if I can't help it.

It's taking alot longer than I thought it would (what project doesn't, though), but I'd rather have it 'right' than 'right now'. I know the parts from ICT Billet, Vorshlag, and other vendors are done in small batches-->sometimes made to order, so there is alot of 'hurry up and wait'. While I am waiting, I am gathering all the other _things_ that I know can/should be done - headlight bixenon HID update, sway bars (still on backorder since November!), wider rims and better tires so far. I've also done some tinkering with my other 'vert - new mirrors due to accidentally pulling off one of the mirror covers when it caught on my beltloop, and I'm eyeballing puddle lights just because I think it'd modernize the car further.

It's a 'project car', and no project is ever really, fully completed (I've dug the financial hole half way to Germany, I might as well keep digging...). Post Ford 8.8, a procharger may even be in it's future. It'd be a hoot to take it to the dragstrip, and have it beat down the Corvette in a dragrace.

Dan B
bremerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #23
M3cabriolet

Twin Screw

Sounds like a plan. Curious if you ever thought of putting a twin screw on one of your M54s
https://www.vividracing.com/ess-tuni...151253417.html Big V8 power, without the swap.
Sadly, the kit won't work on my S54...

-CR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M54 Twin Screw.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	792679  
Old 01-31-2020, 08:13 PM   #24
bremerd1

I have. I keep waffling back-and-forth between a Hyde Motor Works kit, and another LS swap for the '00 323Ci. (I like the project aspects of the Hyde kit...)

The '00 323Ci does see daily use (I alternate between it and a C7 Corvette as a daily 'go-to-work-mobile'). I have a number of fears on doing a supercharger on that car.... The engine has high miles (175k, and going up by at least 1000 miles a month), and is still a 2.5 liter. I suspect that it would have issues shortly after doing a supercharger - ring blow-by comes to mind immediately. It's also an automatic - I'd like to keep it an auto (daily commute is ~48 miles each direction - all of it in heavy traffic: a clutch for that trek would suck). The auto transmission (ZF 5HP19) will most likely have issues with a jump in power that large...

The motor in the '00 is in good shape - all the 'usual' wear items replaced and up-to-date. It currently has a set of ebay headers with the accompanying AA tune to code out the CEL for the post-cat O2 sensors, and runs fine. The entry level Hyde kit gives a ballpark of about 100Hp gain... It'd put me in the ~250Hp range ---> not enough 'bang for the buck' (coming from a twin turbo F150 with ~450 at the wheels, and a Corvette with ~450 at the crank - 250 crank is small fries).

The Hyde SC14 kit uses a Toyota SC14 supercharger which are not rebuild-able, and are getting old. The next kit up uses a M122H (which is rebuild-able), but by the time I factor in the kit, the supercharger, a rebuild for the M122H, and the labor to install, tune, and troubleshoot, I'd have just about the same as dropping in a 'lesser' LS base - something like a L83 (5.3L, ~350Hp with no tuning). You can find the L83's all day long on ebay with a 6L80 attached for ~$3500 with the harnesses and computers included (about the same as the supercharger kit, supercharger, and rebuild on the supercharger - nevermind the other items (bigger injectors, intercooler, piping)). Even with a refresh on the L83 (hone, rings, bearings, and camchain and gaskets) It'd be pretty close cost-wise. The 5.3L engines respond well to cams+ head work, and GM cams are way cheaper than BMW cams...

I have the engine that came out of the one currently getting a LS swap - but it's just a M54B25, and would have the same issues as the one currently in the car (good shape, but high miles), so I'd have the same fears on longevity. A refresh on either M54 or M52Tu engines + the cost of the supercharger would put me over the cost of just doing another LS (L99).

The last thought is: 'one project at a time'. Once the LS3 swapped 'vert comes home, I'll have a number of other things to do to it over the next year or so (interior and paint)... If I happen across a good deal on a L83 or a LS2/LS3 while still finishing out the LS swapped 'vert, I'll start caching parts on the shelf. In the interim, I can still daily it, and my son can borrow it if his car ('00 323i) is in the shop.

I keep getting tempted by craigslist cars with blown engines --- $600 to $800 e46, just needs an engine (or transmission)... I keep repeating the mantra of 'One project at a time' to myself...

Dan B
Old 02-01-2020, 12:00 AM   #25
M3cabriolet

Keep all your slips - you might be surprised how much the swap ends up costing!

Hyde kit with an M122's would be sick. I've seen some reasonably priced on eBay. You might be able to find a lower mileage 3.0 and just boost it. Bet you'd be ok as long as you didn't go over 9lbs. Can't comment on the transmission - don't know anything about that...

CR

Quote:
A refresh on either M54 or M52Tu engines + the cost of the supercharger would put me over the cost of just doing another LS (L99).
Old 02-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #26
bremerd1

Oh Yeah - several folders full of receipts (one for each car).

Engaging a shop to perform the swap made it simpler - they are handling the juggling of the major things; Most of what I'm keeping track of are all the ancillary items...

I'll waffle back and forth on the '00 'vert until it's time to pull the trigger on something, and then it'll all happen, no matter which way it ends up going at the time. (I think some of it hinges on how the '03 'vert LS swap goes, and if there are any problems in the months afterwards...)

Dan B
Old 02-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #27
navi243

subscribing
navi243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #28
damon forrer

My Ride: 16 Miata & 05 Xterra
I am working on a LS swap into a 330ci using a 4L60E auto trans. I had to do some pretty serious hammering to make room for the 4L60E, I don't know how much bigger the 4L80E is but I would love to see how much work has to be done to the tunnel.
damon forrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #29
bremerd1

Yeah - that's one of the gotcha's. I got an idea from one of the 'car building' shows on Motor Trend TV on how to make it bigger with minor damage... They cut an 'H' pattern into the floor pan (straight down the center line under where the console goes, and from left to right at each end), expanded the tunnel by simply bending the flaps up, and then riveted a piece of sheet metal in so it maintained it's shape and new curvature. They used seam sealer and undercoating to seal it up. It didn't look that invasive on the show, but 'TV magic' can make even major stuff look easy, and the original size of the car's tunnel will play into it. If it ends up being that the center console will need some minor trimming to make it all work, I'd be OK with doing it that way (as long as it can be made to look decent, and not like a hack job).

I'll cross that bridge when that project ramps up in a year or two.

Dan B
Old 03-01-2020, 04:51 AM   #30
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
In
Old 03-02-2020, 07:31 AM   #31
damon forrer

My Ride: 16 Miata & 05 Xterra
Quote:
Yeah - that's one of the gotcha's. I got an idea from one of the 'car building' shows on Motor Trend TV on how to make it bigger with minor damage... They cut an 'H' pattern into the floor pan (straight down the center line under where the console goes, and from left to right at each end), expanded the tunnel by simply bending the flaps up, and then riveted a piece of sheet metal in so it maintained it's shape and new curvature. They used seam sealer and undercoating to seal it up. It didn't look that invasive on the show, but 'TV magic' can make even major stuff look easy, and the original size of the car's tunnel will play into it. If it ends up being that the center console will need some minor trimming to make it all work, I'd be OK with doing it that way (as long as it can be made to look decent, and not like a hack job).

I'll cross that bridge when that project ramps up in a year or two.

Dan B
I figure if and when the 4L60E gives up the ghost I will either bite the bullet and do a Manual 6 speed conversion, or do the tunnel mods you mention above and upgrade to the 4L80E
damon forrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #32
bremerd1

Not a lot of updates on the engine swap to report.
The M3 rear-end is almost back together.
Not alot of movement from the shop doing the engine swap.

To feed my 'must-have-a-project-to-work-on' need, I've been doing small things to the '00 323Ci 'vert (and other vehicles).
LED fog lights ('whiter' light output to match the HID headlights):

Mirrors (my belt caught the mirror cover when I walked by the car in the garage, and ripped it off).
The mirrors I went with were cheap ($40 on Amazon), and so far, work fine (had to butcher the harness on the old set of mirrors to get the connector to make the mirror motors work), but they have three colors of LEDs in them, so the 'project' aspect is to wire the LEDs: white ones to come on with the fog lights, orange ones to come on with the blinkers, and blue ones to come on with the high beams.

I also ordered a set of puddle lamps with the BMW logo from Aoonuauto. They have a couple types: I went with a 'drill thru' set (drill a hole in the bottom of the door, and attach the lamp through the hole). I'm planning on wiring these up to come on with the interior lights when the door is opened. With the Coronavirus in full swing in China, it may be a while before these parts make it to me (no photos for this one yet).

Getting thru the wiring harness connector at the door is going to be interesting; I suspect some additional electrical 'pinning' on the door connector will be needed.

I also have been busy on the 'vette - new side skirts:

Even the truck got some love... A HUD:

I originally purchased this with the intention of putting it in the '00 323Ci 'vert, but when I tried it out, it didn't work. I suspect it cannot speak the appropriate protocol(s). (The Torque app on my phone works with a bluetooth adapter for both speed and RPM, so I know the data is there.)

Dan B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirrors_Driver_Side_Small.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	796281   Click image for larger version

Name:	VetteSideSkirts_small.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	796285   Click image for larger version

Name:	F150_HUD_DayTime_Small.jpg