[MS4X] Dev Group Flasher For MS42 & MS43 - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #81
MarkD_M5

My Ride: various BMW's
Thanks,

I had not read the pages which mentioned that earlier, and then saw it after posting. I guess I'll try it out.

I'm not sure why there is such an interest in protection against reverse engineering of such a tool.

Last edited by MarkD_M5; 03-22-2020 at 11:54 AM.
MarkD_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #82
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD_M5 View Post
Thanks,

I had not read the pages which mentioned that earlier, and then saw it after posting. I guess I'll try it out.

I'm not sure why there is such an interest in protection against reverse engineering of such a tool.
I guess their goal is to prevent someone else repackaging the tool in some paid application, but I do think they went over the top. The online licensing with frequent server failures make it a pain to use. And the ridiculous obfuscation resulting in constan antivirus alerts is a pain too. Contrast that with something like MSSFlasher where despite being a paid tool, it's deliberately stupid easy to disassemble and do what you want with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-22-2020 at 01:03 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #83
jds2726

My Ride: 2003 325Ci Cabrio
Transmission: ZF 5HP-19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I guess their goal is to prevent someone else repackaging the tool in some paid application, but I do think they went over the top. The online licensing with frequent server failures make it a pain to use. And the ridiculous obfuscation resulting in constan antivirus alerts is a pain too. Contrast that with something like MSSFlasher where despite being a paid tool, it's deliberately stupid easy to disassemble and do what you want with it.
Imo it's not that terrible. I just activated once and haven't had any problems with activation since. Just turn off windows defender and forget about it until next year. I did have problems with Windows 7 32-bit where it wouldn't activate. I just moved to 64-bit and went on my merry way. Gives me the ability to add some extra ram anyways.

After all it's free, I'm willing to jump through a few hoops for that. Might try cracking it for fun later though, given the open invite
jds2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #84
jds2726

My Ride: 2003 325Ci Cabrio
Transmission: ZF 5HP-19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2726 View Post
I'm having a problem with the new ms4x flasher. When reading the 512kb file it quits out about half way through and say lost connection to ECU. I can read the 64k file with now problems. Almost seems like the ecu is timing out. I'm in the run position with engine off. Everything works perfectly with galletto, MSS5X and JMGarage. Haven't tried write yet.
Oddly enough, the flasher works perfectly with the ECU on the bench. Any reason it would have these problems while in the car?
jds2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #85
Madhouse

I have the same problem, when loading total reading it closes me and gives communication error, with windows 7 sp1 32bits. Upgrading to sp2 would it be fixed?
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #86
Madhouse

I managed to do partial 64kb read, but I need 512kb read for tunerpro.
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote