Which Glovebox Part - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
toddkageals

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2004
Model: 330CI Convertible
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Which Glovebox Part

Guys,

I have a 2004 330CI Convertible. The glove box will not open using the handle. You can open it by turning the key all the way to the left, but even if you leave it in the unlocked position, you can't open it by pulling the handle. It almost feels like the hand grabs whatever it's supposed to move and then slips off if that makes sense. Anybody know which part needs to be replaced?

Thanks,

Todd
toddkageals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
The two Phillips head screws that hold the lock together need tightening. Common issue. You'll need one of those little dwarf screwdrivers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
toddkageals

Thanks for the advice. I tried that, but unfortunately that was not the issue. I don't mind replacing the latch, just want to know which part(s) I need to order to make sure I get it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 09:26 PM   #4
rickyrosh

My Ride: M3
These work on convertibles.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...46-51168262566

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-51167020044

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rickyrosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
Thanks for the advice. I tried that, but unfortunately that was not the issue. I don't mind replacing the latch, just want to know which part(s) I need to order to make sure I get it fixed.
Have you tried lubricating the mechanism? Those little metal triangles that provide the locking function can dry out and stick.

Previous:

Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
toddkageals

I'll try lubricating them. When you pull the handle, the triangle metal latches start to move, but they don't move far enough to release. Then there's sort of a snap sound and the handle moves freely without moving the triangles at all. It's like something gives way inside the mechanism. You can still use the key to operate the latch and it opens fine with the key, just won't open with the handle, regardless of the position of the key.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
All2kool

Quote:
You can still use the key to operate the latch and it opens fine with the key, just won't open with the handle, regardless of the position of the key.
When my 2002 did this exact same thing, tightening those two screws was the solution. The other day I went to look at the latch on the 2004 as it was a bit sticky. With the GB door open, I could see the triangles struggling but the moment I tightened the two screws, they moved freely.

Previous:

Old 03-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
All2kool

Quote:
I'll try lubricating them.
I would remove the back cover and lubricate the entire locking mechanism.

Does your electronic GB lock still function if you have the top DOWN and then lock the car?

Previous:

Old Today, 08:50 PM   #9
jimvideopro

My Ride: 2006 330CiC
'06 vert owner here, who had exactly the same issue. It was 5+ years ago, and I'm struggling now to remember the process to solve it, but the issue is the constant locking/unlock of the glove box when you lock/unlock the car. The action of the remote unlock system doesn't fully engage the glovebox handle somehow. I solved it by playing around with the both the car's power lock/unlock button and key in the glovebox handle. Once it engaged and the handle opened the glovebox, I took apart the latch mechanism and clipped the wires so it would not remotely lock/unlock. I don't store anything I would mind having stolen in the glovebox, and i've had no issues at all in the years since then. I hope this helps.

jimvideopro is offline   Reply With Quote