Got a ticket in Eden Prairie :( Any tips? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
IL IN MI MN OH WI

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #21
GJGM3
Gonz997

My Ride: Porsche 997
Yeah, I mean a BMW or any highend kind of car especially if it's performance-based or modified. I'm somewhat used to it having owned German cars for over 20 years with 2 of them being 911's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GONZ997 - GJGM3 Replacement
Mods in Progress
GJGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #22
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer427 View Post
True, everything helps for preventing it. Common sense/experience for how much/where to speed of course is a great solution. For me I don't think I could ever completely stop speeding though lol. I'm convinced that I need to invest in the V1 soon. As for having a car that attracts attention, do you mean it being a BMW, or a coupe/fast car, or both,? I think the mentalities of what cops look for/probability of pulling cars over is perplexing and no doubt varies extensively. Perhaps I've just been lucky, as there has been several times I should have been pulled over for my speed but wasn't, and was guessing I probably would have if I was in say my Subaru due to similar incidences and locations. My only guess is that perhaps the combination of it being a BMW and a sedan, idk. Either way I have a feeling I'm probably going to run out of luck soon at my rate lol.
It's really varied what attracts attention. If you're in Edina and driving a BMW, police won't give you a second look. If you're in Crystal or Robbinsdale, you're probably going to be a target. Driving a darker colored sedan helps as the lighter and brighter the car the more attention it draws. But like you said, it varies. It especially varies based on where you're driving as far jurisdiction/city.
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Learning Firearms
Firearms training and hosted shooting courses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #23
Jarick

I'll be the first to say it: slow down

I've been tagged a few times, once I had a good looking woman as a good luck charm in the car and skipped the ticket (pipe down in advance Reed ), once I got about a 72 in a 55 and they just wrote me a citation that didn't hit the record, and once was about a 70 in a 55 that I went to court to plead it down to a citation if I didn't have a similar ticket over six months or whatever.

I'd do the latter again, but I tossed all my radars and now I just lay low.
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #24
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'll be the first to say it: slow down

I've been tagged a few times, once I had a good looking woman as a good luck charm in the car and skipped the ticket (pipe down in advance Reed ), once I got about a 72 in a 55 and they just wrote me a citation that didn't hit the record, and once was about a 70 in a 55 that I went to court to plead it down to a citation if I didn't have a similar ticket over six months or whatever.

I'd do the latter again, but I tossed all my radars and now I just lay low.
I wasn't going to comment...

Where the F have you been?
Nice to see you around here. I've been busy, so not much time to stop on down there. When I move to Shakopee this fall, it'll be more convenient.

Learning Firearms

Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #25
GJGM3
Gonz997

My Ride: Porsche 997
Slowing down in some cars may be easier than others. Ahem.

GONZ997 - GJGM3 Replacement
Mods in Progress
GJGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #26
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJGM3 View Post
Slowing down in some cars may be easier than others. Ahem.
Just leave it in 1st

Learning Firearms

Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #27
rmz

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG
Anyone ever consider this unit?

http://www.k40.com/home_main.html

I like not having to worry about leaving the radar out in the open when out and about.

Andy mentioned that the active laser counter measures are a no no.

Then just found the following for MN.

Subd. 12. Radar jammer. For purposes of this section, "radar jammer" means any instrument, device, or equipment designed or intended for use with a vehicle or otherwise to jam or interfere in any manner with a speed-measuring device operated by a peace officer.

No person shall sell, offer for sale, use, or possess any radar jammer in this state.

Oh well no jammers allowed

Last edited by rmz; 07-10-2007 at 10:51 PM.
rmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #28
Chaseme

My Ride: MkV Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_r View Post
I never owned a radar detector and every ticket Ive gotten has been a situation where it would not have helped me. I think smart driving is much more powerful than a radar detector 9 times out of 10.

Of course I will let those who don't know, how I got tickets:
1) Driving my car back from Michigan after buying it. 9 hours in, I let my friend drive so I can sleep. I sleep, he drives 90mph on a very wide-median highway (200ft). He gets nailed with radar and the cop has to fidn a place to turn around. By that time he has pulled over out of view from the road and told me he wanted me to drive. I go into the next town (Winona, MN) and am awaited by several cops thinking I was escaping.. Boy was I confused. No getting outta that ticket when I was in the driver seat.
2) Cop mistook me for someone going 80 when I was still doing 45 when I went by him from an onramp..can't argue with a MN Trooper.

If I ever get a ticket due to my own negligence I am gunning for the V1...
Funny, just 2 weeks ago, we were all talking about these stories with Andy, Eric, myself, and that guy with the 850.

Your story Eric takes the cake for lamest ticket.

Fortunatly, I have a friend who is a new officer, so he talked with the guy that issued my ticket and he is going to give me an exemption.

euro enthusiast | sportbike fanatic
Chaseme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:43 AM   #29
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz View Post
Anyone ever consider this unit?

http://www.k40.com/home_main.html

I like not having to worry about leaving the radar out in the open when out and about.

Andy mentioned that the active laser counter measures are a no no.

Then just found the following for MN.

Subd. 12. Radar jammer. For purposes of this section, "radar jammer" means any instrument, device, or equipment designed or intended for use with a vehicle or otherwise to jam or interfere in any manner with a speed-measuring device operated by a peace officer.

No person shall sell, offer for sale, use, or possess any radar jammer in this state.

Oh well no jammers allowed
I have a K40 mounted in my M3 (the previous owner had it installed), and I've driven numerous vehicles with the K40 system in them, to include a Ferrari 360 Spyder (I know that has no bearing, but it's fun just to say I drove it....FUN car ). It's not a bad way to go if you want an "invisible" install and is advantageous if you have a 'vert. I WILL say that the V1 smokes the K40. I've run both simultaneously and the V1 easily has twice the reliability, accuracy, and range. The V1 is $399 plus shipping, and there are NO other costs. The K40 is a little bit more but after install, can cost anywhere from $1-2k. It's really not worth the money; especially once you experience The Arrows .
Talk to Gerard as he's running a stealth setup with his V1 and although I haven't seen it, it sounds pretty cool. There's also an option for mounting the readout in a custom rear-view mirror.

And as you read, the jammers are a no-no, and can be removed from the car by the police as they're illegal to even possess. The fine is also somewhat steep too, so imagine spending $2500 on a laser jammer and install and then getting it taken away and getting a $300+ fine to boot. I think it's a misdemeanor offense, but I have to check that.

Learning Firearms