330ci SMG/SSG Clutch slip/high revs - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
jacob92

My Ride: BMW 330CI Cabrio SMG
Year: 2003
Model: E46
Transmission: SMG/SSG
330ci SMG/SSG Clutch slip/high revs

Hi all

I have had some problems with my BMW 330ci Convertible SMG/SSG gearbox and clutch.

It started when i bought this car and 1-2 weeks later it had some clutch slip / high revs when shiftning gears. It could take arround 2-3.000 revs extra when shiftning and without pushing the effect to the wheels.

I called the BMW dealershop where i brought the car and they did first reprogram/update the ECU/engine/transmission box? but without help.

I called them once again and they replaced the clutch. But it didn't still not solve the problem.

After that they was telling me that the car was running just fine (still with clutch slip/high revs) and they could not change the construction of the car. So what i understood, they will resign all responsibility for the car. I was very angry for buying this car for 33.000 eur with half month of warranty!

Whatever i was that mad that i took this case on my own and try fix the problem, but later on i get some problem with the gearbox wouldn't get into the gear (other tread)

I took the gearbox down, and before i removed the clutch i notice some strange?

Is this normal that the clutch can move side to side when mounted? (see attached videolink from dropbox)

Could that cause the clutch slipping?

I hope you have some good inputs. (I have also attached a video with the high revs when shiftning gear)

Thanks all! I know we have some good experts in this forum :-)

Video link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7cu9001ugzice3n/AADXablETJIF836tl--DbSDwa?dl=0

- Jacob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW E46 330CI Convertible SMG 2003
Lexus IS300 2002 - SOLD
BMW E36 316i 1994 - SOLD
Seat Ebiza 1.3 EFI 1994 - SOLD
Opel Kadett E 1984 - SOLD
jacob92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
fn42

My Ride: 2001 330 xi
Good on you for taking matters into your own hands - sorry you had such a poor dealership experience!

The play you are noticing is because your dual mass flywheel is worn, I'm not sure if it's too excessive or not, you can check out the "7.4 Rock Measurement" section of this pdf https://fear.al/wp-content/uploads/2...ta_DMF_LUK.pdf for more info

I don't believe it would cause clutch slip (just poor shifting or takeoff engagement), I'm not an expert on the SMG transmissions but I'd be looking at the solenoid that controls the slave cylinder for that
fn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:40 AM   #3
domibln

My Ride: E46 325Ci SMG
Your problem is kind of electrical related. We had several customers with his problem. They tried to change almost everything: clutch, dual mass fly wheel, clutch actuator, solenoid valves, gearbox ECU. Nothing helped at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
domibln is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330ci, clutch slipping, revs, smg, ssg