SMG strange noise - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #21
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando View Post
The wear on the commutator is clearly visible.
Just like an alternator, I can understand the brushes wear but normally the commutator should last longer. I really like to see a pic of the bad elec motor commutator. Why not rebuild those motor instead of a whole expensive pump?
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #22
Sapote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsin00 View Post
Guys! I possibly have an answer. I googled the 23 solenoid valve clutch fault and I came across this thread saying that "the connection on the bottom of the reservoir was not on enough-not loose enough to cause a leak but loose enough to not allow fluid down into the pump".

The reservoir has a check valve on it so you can unhook it without all of your SMG fluid coming out. When I had my plenum off the other day, I unhooked that hose. I bet it's just not seated well enough or the valve is messed up. Might be wishful thinking, but it's worth checking out since I did just have that hose off and then started experiencing problems. I'll check back in tomorrow evening after I try unhooking that hose and reinstalling it. I hope this works!
"23 solenoid valve clutch fault"
It is like having a bad left leg on the clutch pedal. But why it made noise even in neutral which I assume clutch should be released with nothing to do with fluid nor solenoid action. Anyway if the code says that then hopefully it was the cause.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #23
jsin00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
"23 solenoid valve clutch fault"
It is like having a bad left leg on the clutch pedal. But why it made noise even in neutral which I assume clutch should be released with nothing to do with fluid nor solenoid action. Anyway if the code says that then hopefully it was the cause.

I'm thinking for the clutch to be "released" the slave cylinder must be actuated to engage the pressure plate. Same reason the sound would happen in 1 and R because the slave cylinder is still actuated and then slowly returns to engage the clutch when the throttle is pressed.

I looked at my hose and sure enough, I failed to get the locking ring completely over the 4 tabs on the hose and the hose wasn't fully locked up into the reservoir. Dumb mistake. I connected the hose the way it's supposed to be and everything worked fine. I took it for a drive and came back and turned the car off and shifted from 1 to R to 0 a few times and everything is working the way it's supposed to.

I guess we learned that an SMG hydraulic system starved of fluid will make a horrible noise from around the shifter area as it fights to supply the shift actuator and slave cylinder.

I appreciate the help from Commando and Sapote and hopefully my stupid mistake will help others!
jsin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 03:33 AM   #24
Sapote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsin00 View Post
I'm thinking for the clutch to be "released" the slave cylinder must be actuated to engage the pressure plate. Same reason the sound would happen in 1 and R because the slave cylinder is still actuated and then slowly returns to engage the clutch when the throttle is pressed.
!
I think you mixed up clutch "released" and disengaged.
Clutch released = engaged
Clutch pressed = disengaged
In neutral, the SGM must release the fluid back to ambient reservoir and clutch engaged. So in neutral the slave cylinder doesn't need pressurized fluid, then why the noise even if low in fluid? Also I don't understand why it drove perfect with low fluid and then noisy after turned off then on again? Why no noise when shifting with INPA with low fluid?

Tags
gps, noise, shift actuator, smg