Wine for all you Dummies (LOTS of info) - Page 9 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #161
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Was fortunate to split a bottle of 2006 Abreu Madrona Ranch several days ago with a buddy of mine. Very deep, very complex. The wine is 14.5% and you can feel the alcohol slowly evaporating off your gums and teeth after the first couple swishes, then you get used to it Initially it has almost a numbing feeling to it, very intoxicating.

Vibrant dark cherry front with a very unique earthy/green leaf/slightly acidic start. This quickly converted to a very deep, mature tannin'ed bold cabernet with a long lasting finish of espresso and a hint of cocoa. Not necessarily the best wine I have had, definitely up there, top 5, but by far the most fun to drink.

We had just the bottle. Nothing else, no food pairing, and, tell ya the truth, it was good enough to not have with anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #162
JJR4884

Alright this thread is due for an update and some updates and suggestions.

Need to get more into Pinot Noir. My go to bottles are usually around $15-$20, so, unfortunately finding a pinot noir that I love at that price point is rather difficult.

Kim Crawford actually makes a decent one, but, its not my style pinot noir. Still, for $12 a bottle, really really good.
White Horse and La Crema... $20 bottles, I can take or leave them. Not crazy about them.
Oregeny 2013 Russian River - $22. Good bottle, but its still not my style.

Most cheaper pinot noir's are overly acidic, have a very cheap/alcohol-y mouth feel, and are extremely fruit forward and single dimensional. I'm not looking for a 98 point wine for cheap, but I like pinot noirs that are not so sweet and vibrant. Patz & Hall is one of my favorite pinot noirs, but at $35 a bottle its not something I am drinking as an every day Pinot. Penner-ash as well. If anyone has any good suggestions on a mature tasting pinot for $20 or less, i'm all ears.

2012 Paul Hobbs Beckstoffer to Kalon Cabernet Sauvignon- This wine was incredible. Super complex, superhero powered tannins. Reminded me of the Abreau where it had several stages of different notes and flavors. Like the abreau, it had a very strong pungent earthy front which mellowed out in a beautiful dark berry and tobacco undertones. The finish was long (thats what she said) and left a very cool, menthol like feeling in your mouth with lingering plum/blackberry flavors. Absolutely amazing...

2012 Charles Krug Cab Sauv - Had it last night. Right up there with your typical $25-$30 cabernet from Napa. Smooth dry tannins, moderate fruit, moderate oak, great with steak, great with pasta dishes (tomato based.) If I could find this for $20 I'd by it by the case, it was really good.

Bodegas Muga - Great wine. If you like tempranillo's this is definitely worth the small premium as I think its close to $20ish a bottle. Very very good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #163
JJR4884

Still on the hunt for a decent < $20 pinot noir

Had a 2012 Acrobat Pinot Noir last night from Oregon for $18. Not bad. Light bodied and a little acidic, but had some nice tannins considering how light bodied the wine was. Almost transparent however, it was light in color, which isn't out of the norm for some pinots, but a little much IMO. The finish was smooth but not long lasting. The smell was nice and mellow, however the flavor was a little sudden with some strong blackberry notes with an almost tart-like hit on the back end. The review say its "floral spice" notes, however, I'm heterosexual so I would never come up with that kind of description.

Still on the hunt.... not in love with it.