General Crappiness of so many products these days - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
c28vette

My Ride: 2004 325i M56
General Crappiness of so many products these days

Boy am I getting tired of just how crappy the every day products are these days (all made in China of course).

-Can Openers - talking about manual can openers, how can they screw up so badly on a design that has been around for decades? The latest from Ace Hardware lasted about 2 months before the handles came off, repaired it but now it no longer works to remove a lid. This replaced another one that lasted about a year. My parents had the same old can opener for about 40 years that worked fine.

-Vacuum cleaners - local store agrees most are crap but that consumers expect a low price point and all you get for that is crap. Accounting for inflation we should pay $1000 or more for a decent one, which would be OK with me if they lasted and worked well.

-Clothes iron - after going through several highly rated consumer reports but again made in China crap I found a Rowenta made in Germany that is pretty good quality. Dropped my apparently worthless consumer reports membership and just read Amazon reviews now!

-Energy efficient washers and dryers - Hauled a 6 month old set to the dump, but thought later I would have felt a lot better taking them to the shooting range. Like the pair we have now better, but not enough to recommend. Should have repaired our old technology ones. Again Consumer Reports was useless.

-Land line phone audio quality. Anyone old enough to remember the AT&T "you can hear a pin drop" crystal clear audio quality ? We accept such poor audio quality in everything these days while we have I will grant you crazy good video quality. Very strange.

-Finally, kind of sad that we just throw so much away these days. I like my Sansum HD TV a lot, but I had to learn how to repair it and where to find parts, most of my friends consider the TV a throw away about the time they want to upgrade anyway. No such thing really as a TV repair man these days it seems (unless you have vintage stuff).

Thank goodness we have great technology, and there is very high quality in the automotive aftermarket (better than ever) if you stick with the good suppliers, but I miss high quality hardware for the every day stuff.

Last edited by c28vette; 05-26-2016 at 09:14 PM.
c28vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:56 AM   #2
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
General Crappiness of so many products these days

Buy European products. I hate to say it but their standards are much higher.

And so are the prices. You get what you pay for.

Edit: I just realized this is why I bought a BMW.

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.

Last edited by swordsman11868; 10-21-2016 at 02:57 AM.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote