How do you tell if the 318i has a warped head cylinder and gasket? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Europe

Europe

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2017, 04:21 AM   #1
willsha

My Ride: BMW E46 318i
How do you tell if the 318i has a warped head cylinder and gasket?

After driving my 318i for 670km when I stopped in traffic in the night vehicle temperature short up from the half the towards the 3/4 mark I decided to by the roadside and switched off the engine quickly opened the hood so could loosen up the the radiator cap to release pressure as the inlet and outlet radiator hoses had swelled up. Before I could do the expansion tank exploded. The following morning I called for the mechanic to have a look at it, after installing a new expansion tank and starting the vehicle mechanic said the head cylinder had wapped he said my the head gasket had wapped coz the inlet and outlet hose were bulging and it hard start. I need a second opinion on this matter thank you

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
willsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
Cirf

My Ride: 2004 325 Xi
The only way to check is to pull the head and check it with a straight edge and feeler gauge but before pulling the head check all head bolts by backing them off and re torque the bolts 22 ft lbs then 90 degrees and then another 90 degrees to check to see if the threads stripped in the engine block
Cirf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
willsha

My Ride: BMW E46 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirf View Post
The only way to check is to pull the head and check it with a straight edge and feeler gauge but before pulling the head check all head bolts by backing them off and re torque the bolts 22 ft lbs then 90 degrees and then another 90 degrees to check to see if the threads stripped in the engine block
Thanks that's useful

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
willsha is offline   Reply With Quote