Palmetto State Armory - Decent? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Palmetto State Armory - Decent?

I just ordered a few AR Pistols and 308 AR Gen 2 20" Stainless from them.

Please tell me they are decent quality.

One tier below BCM, DD, Nov?

Above Bushmaster, DelCon, Olympic?

Prices were insane (good way)!

So was shipping (bad way).

17 Time National Champs Including: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017. We WILL Get Redemption In 2019!

Ranting about TVs, football, cameras, guns, diamonds, and HDMI since 2005.

16 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring (wife)
07 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD
68 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS
-------------------------------------------------------
07 Lexus GS350
00 BMW DINAN M5
01 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
ctlikon

My Ride: 2005 330Ci Coupe
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI ZHP
Transmission: ZF S6-37
I have never owned any of their guns but have been very happy in the past with the ammo and other parts from them. I did shoot a IDPA match the other day and one guy was shooting one of their SBR's in 9mm in the carbine class and was very happy with it. It looked nice.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
GlockMan

Thanks!

I could not find too much negative about them but Easter sale pricing was almost too good to be true.

300 blackout pistol with SB Tactical SOB brace for $500!
308 20" stainless for $700!
etc.
17 Time National Champs Including: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017. We WILL Get Redemption In 2019!

07 Lexus GS350
00 BMW DINAN M5
01 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 04-02-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
PSA does this insane pricing thing several times a year. They make massive orders from their machine shops that they have contracted. They make a ton of profit by selling in bulk. When they have their Black Friday deals with like $40 lower receivers or whatever it was last time, there are people buying 5-10 receivers at a time. You basically are playing Russian roulette with the quality of receivers. One guy on the local MNguntalk.com forum bought 10 receivers during Black Friday a couple years ago and he had like 2 receivers that were so out of spec that they were useless. The others were a mix of quality. He was happy because it cost him like $200something and he got 8 working lower receivers, and two that he could and would probably sell to suckers willing to pay $400 for a lower receiver during a gun buy panic. What happens is that PSA buys from multiple machine shops and buys in serious bulk. They don’t specify what quality of receivers they want, because if you want Grade 1 components (best grade), you have to pay money and there is high demand by top end manufacturers (BCM, Colt, FN, Hodge Defense, DD, etc). Grade 2 are also in demand and come at a premium. What you have left is a supply of Grades 3-5 that are the majority of what these machine shops have in surplus. If you are familiar with the adage of a “Monday gun” and “Friday gun”, your Friday guns are going to be all graded lower in the 3-5 range. This also includes receivers and components with more imperfections, microfissures and sloppy forging errors. I have personally seen a PSA AR15 lower with slanted trigger pin holes. That something like that would leave the factory is ridiculous. It was clearly a Friday receiver.

PSA buys the bulk stuff, and you’re buying that bulk. You don’t know if you have a Monday gun or a Friday gun until you get it.
The PA10 rifle has been reviewed as being a decent rifle that will go BANG, but little more than that. The fortunate thing is that a quality barrel is all that’s needed to make an AR a tack-driver. I don’t know who makes that 20” SS416R barrel, but it’s pretty easy these days to cut an accurate barrel. The ideal thing to do would be to test the rifle out when you get it and make sure it’s not having any issues. I have heard that PSA does have very good customer service. Just understand that a $700 large-frame AR is going to give you $700 worth of performance, so just have a realistic expectation for your rifle. It’s not going to be an LMT, KAC or LaRue.
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Learning Firearms
Firearms training and hosted shooting courses

http://www.learningfirearms.com/schedule.html
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
GlockMan

Thanks Reedo.

Now, I am sad.

I bought three complete lowers and three complete uppers so I guess I will find out fast if there are any major issues, right?

I wanted an AR pistol and could not believe that they were selling a complete lower with the $100+ SB Brace for $200.

I get what you are saying and I have some better quality stuff, I guess I will see when it comes if I hit the jackpot or crapped out.

If the Pistol Lower seems to work fine, would it be worth ordering a complete BCM 300 upper for it?

I originally wanted a BCM but could not find a pistol lower.

07 Lexus GS350
00 BMW DINAN M5
01 BMW 330ci
Old 04-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Here’s what I would do- I’d hold onto the PSA items for the next gun buy panic. Sell them at a massive profit. After Sandy Hook, people were paying $100 for Thermold magazines and $2k for $650 Bushmasters at Walmart. If Trump has a serious competitor for 2020 election, you’re going to see another spike in gun prices and sales like back when Obama was elected in 2008.

I would push you for a BCM just because they make quality stuff. I have to replace two rifle barrels this year because I’ve shot them out. Don’t need to do anything else and I’m proud of that. I don’t have any rifles that I need to buy or build because my quality rifles keep chugging along. Point being, I value quality over quantity.

You’ll probably be fine with your purchases provided that you do a proper inspection. PSA has crap quality control, but they reportedly have very good customer service if you have any issues.
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Learning Firearms
Firearms training and hosted shooting courses

http://www.learningfirearms.com/schedule.html
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote