I'm here to "ruin" an E46: A rallyx build. - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #41
TheNorm

My Ride: 323i
offseason upgrades. I've been waiting for the ice to freeze so i can go ice racing, but the events keep getting canceled, not cold enough

in the meantime, I put in a version of the vince bar.

ours is a little simpler to fab than his as we werernt trying to hide it under the floor. a 2x2 box section. moved forward an inch, so that we could just drill right through it to bolt it in. and end plates welded to the chassis.

the bolts needed the most work. i bought m12 x1.5 x 160mm 10.9. https://www.belmetric.com/12x15-fine...09-p-2499.html
but needed the threads to be extended. I used carbide die, but I dulled it horribly. take my advice and find someone who knows how to thread on a lathe. an alternate, no fab, option would be to use threaded rod, and just put nuts on each end.
another interesting tidbit, many lug nuts are 12x1.5 thread, so I flattened the conical part of some extra open lug nuts i had, and used those to "bolt" the bar down. its still threaded into the original subframe mount, this is supplemental clamping force.

hoping this will reduce the chance of us tearing out our subframe mount repairs we previously did.

total cost of the project was ~$30 plus some welding supplies.

Last edited by TheNorm; 01-16-2019 at 03:19 PM.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #42
TheNorm

so, planned on driving to an ice race event. didn't even get to my friends house to pick him up before i got the low coolant light. Never seen that one before, and I had just topped up the coolant, so we quickly swapped to his car to race. Good thing it died where it did, else we might have got stuck on the side of the road hours away form anywhere (it was a 3.5 hr drive to the lake). Anyways FWD with shitty winter tires is not as much fun as RWD on studded hakkapelitas.

post race dissection found a cracked radiator end cap, at the nipple where the large hose from the water pump connects. you can see the wet spot.

anyways, new radiator being shipper, and it should be good to go for the next race. In the meantime, there is a race this weekend, and I'll co-drive another friends Subie STI on brand new hakka 9s. should be good.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #43
TheNorm

car was still not ready to race.
so I codrove a friends STI on new hakka 9 studded tires at an ice time-attack
won the 4wd studded class.

twas fun

Old 03-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #44
Tate325xi

My Ride: 428i cabrio
God that looks fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #45
TheNorm

so, fiexed the radiator, and after a little trouble bleeding the cooling system took it ice racing.
there we found a car that was very difficult to control. ultimate diagnosis was a torn trailing arm bushing. the sudden changes in toe would make the rear of the car very loose and suddenly crabwalk a few feet to the side.
Anyways, made my own bushing limiters with some plastic sheet and a hole saws. they may not be pretty, but they were free, and took up all the slop.

going to a dirt rallyx this weekend so we'll see what the improvement is.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #46
TheNorm

been a while since the last update.
tried out a new site at a log sorting yard. the surface was either ashphalt, wood debris or really course crushed rock. it was a great day with lots of runs. nothing serious broke. (killed a pair of tires and the switch to the hardwired fan gave out)

killed these tires right off.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #47
MARKS330I

My Ride: 03 330i
Wow that 323 rips pretty good out there in the dirt.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #48
TheNorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKS330I View Post
Wow that 323 rips pretty good out there in the dirt.
Were you at the Hannegan event?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #49
MARKS330I

My Ride: 03 330i
I was not. Unfortunately my E46 has been sitting in my garage waiting on me to fix it for the last year

I'm getting a metallic rotating noise at the front of the head with low oil pressure once it warms up. And for the life of me I can't figure it out. So if the E30 sells this weekend like I hope it will, the 3.0l will get pulled next month for a mild rebuild and a manual swap.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #50
Cabin Pics

My Ride: 2004 325i
This is fantastic!

Thanks for sharing. I'll actually be attending a rallyx event this weekend, albeit quite a bit further south. I'll also be spectating.
Cabin Pics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #51
SWINFORD
///Swinny

My Ride: E46,E30,E53,Harley
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
I can dig this