Sealed Spherical Trailing Arm Bushing - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #21
ZHPizza

My Ride: 2005 ZHP Coupe
Thanks for the heads up! I'm planning to install it as centered as I can get it, but good to know that it could potentially be adjusted for certain conditions.

FYI the Moog joint is indeed too wide for the bracket, so I also had to get creative with widening it a bit:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ZHPizza; 08-17-2018 at 05:38 PM.
ZHPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #22
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberLily View Post
One thing to keep watch of is installation depth. A stock trailing arm bushing is the full pocket width. The MOOG part is not as wide. You want the bolt sleeve to sit the same distance from the pocket as a stock bushing. Attached is my crude MS Paint drawing of what distance is critical.

There's one benefit to this though. Say you're slammed, you could install the MOOG bearing further outwards. It would correct some toe in like the Garagistic units. Or maybe you're lifted, you install it further in. For stock application try and center it.
I was just about to post about this.
It looks more and more like this is the best rtab solution. The ability to dial toe is the cherry

Sent from my tractor.

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-17-2018 at 06:46 PM.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #23
s14realm3

My Ride: 03 ZHP, 95 M3, 91 M3
hardware where to buy

Where did you guys buy the hardware M14x75mm or 9/16"x3"
Tim
s14realm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #24
HayWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14realm3 View Post
Where did you guys buy the hardware M14x75mm or 9/16"x3"
Tim
Stop by your local industrial fasterner supplier. Fastenal, Brofasco etc

Sent from my tractor.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:39 PM   #25
ewcmr2

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberLily View Post

bolt hole: 12mm
bolt sleeve length: 49-50mm
bushing OD: 60mm

A quick look at their bulletin PDF gives various part numbers with their application. The closest fit is a Camry part number K200786 ($20 USD on RockAuto). MOOG does not provide dimensions but we know it's for a 92-01 Camry, and ACDelco 45G9207 is the rubber bushing for that application. It's dimensions are:

bolt hole: 14mm
bolt sleeve length: 50.04mm
bushing OD: 59.944mm

Looks like a match except the bolt hole is 14mm, and the OD is on the looser side. My experience with the MOOG vertical bushing is that it's on the tighter side of fitment. The stock bushing I can remove with threaded rod, nuts, and receiving cups, but the MOOG part required a shop press to install. Fair to assume its on the tighter side of tolerances. We would need to drill the trailing arm bracket for a 14mm hole and an M14x70 grade 10.9 bolt and nut.
I did this swap today and found some different specs...

Moog OD = 3.376”
M3 trailing arm ID = 3.360”

16 thousandths sounded like too much for interference fit so I turned down the Moog parts for a nice press fit. While I had the lathe plugged in I made a pair of 12-14mm bushings to enable retaining the stock 12mm bolt.
ewcmr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #26
HayWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewcmr2 View Post
I did this swap today and found some different specs...

Moog OD = 3.376”
M3 trailing arm ID = 3.360”

16 thousandths sounded like too much for interference fit so I turned down the Moog parts for a nice press fit. While I had the lathe plugged in I made a pair of 12-14mm bushings to enable retaining the stock 12mm bolt.
Interesting.. I'll have to pull out my bushings and check dimensions. I'm not against doing a bit of machine work. Did the width of the center "sleeve?" require you to expand the RTAB bracket? I'm considering turning down that area to avoid any modification to the bracket.

My trailing arms are currently being sand blasted and powder coated...
Then I can finally install these damn bushings which have been sitting in a box for a year.

Sent from my tractor.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #27
ZHPizza

My Ride: 2005 ZHP Coupe
The OD/ID difference makes sense - I had to chuck the bearings up in a power drill smooth them down with some sandpaper (especially the leading edge) to get them to press in. They came out pretty easy though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ZHPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #28
ewcmr2

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayWagon View Post
Did the width of the center "sleeve?" require you to expand the RTAB bracket? I'm considering turning down that area to avoid any modification to the bracket.
Moog part wouldn’t slip into bracket.
I didn’t measure how much the bracket needed to spread, it’s not much. It expanded easily by inserting OE bushing and a screwdriver (universal wedge/prybar) then applying some hammer.

If you’re powder coating suspension parts it would make sense to turn down sleeve...
ewcmr2 is online now   Reply With Quote