Sunshade repair of broken Passenger side metal springs - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
vg569
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LaGrangeville, NY
Posts: 17
My Ride: 2004 M3 LSB
Sunshade repair of broken Passenger side metal springs

Several previous threads have very nicely described the diy repair of the often-mangled e46 sunroof sunshade. They all seem to conclude that you have to replace the sunshade if the metal springs on the passenger side that hold the slim retangular clips are mangled because the metal parts are embedded in the plastic stiff layer of the shade. However I was able to replace a spring successfully ( they come in the 35 dollar or so sunroof repair kit).

I apologize I didn't take pics during the repair but here's a description: I carefully cut away the plastic lying on top of the metal embedded in the shade so that all of the metal was exposed. Then drill out the plastic inside the holes in the metal being careful to not go through to the other side (if you do go through, the fabric will likely still cover it anyway). Then lift the old mangled clip off, exposing the indented impression of the metal in the plastic exposed. The flat part of the spring will sit in that perfectly.

Rough up the metal and the plastic with a file or sandpaper and put a thin layer of JB weld on the plastic. Put the metal spring into place (make sure the ends with bumps are facing correctly) and put another thin layer over the metal, working into the holes. Let it cure overnight and you're ready to go - you just saved having to buy a new sunshade.

BTW the plastic covering on my driver was half broken also. I ripped the rest of the plactic off, which leaves a metal "tongue" exposed. I trimmed a plastic clamp protector to fit and used JB weld again to cover the tongue so the drive is pushing with relatively soft plastic on the left side clips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	741978  
vg569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:53 PM   #2
rbryantaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: phoenix, az
Posts: 57
My Ride: '01 330i
I just did the same. It is amazing that no one actually gives any instructions for the clips that they provide in the kits...

I didn't get fancy with the removal, I just pryed the old clip out with a small screwdriver and it busted out pretty cleanly. It cracked the plastic slightly on the way out but the JB weld will fix that. It wasn't worth taking the time to cut it out (and possibly cut myself) or reach for a dremel.

I put a piece of packing tape over the back side to hold the JB weld in so that it didn't come out the large holes and the new clip is held in just as strongly as the original.

I also covered the top side with packing tape so that no JB weld would run or make a mess.

The hardest part is actually gluing the headliner back so that it looks original. be sure to let the glue for a minute and don't apply the fabric when it is fully wet or it will soak in and look flatter than the rest of the surface. I didn't do a great job of that but I learned for next time.

Pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	original broken clip.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	774791
Click image for larger version

Name:	orig clip removed.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	774797
Click image for larger version

Name:	partially glued.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	774793
Click image for larger version

Name:	fully glued.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	774795

I should have also shown putting the tape on the back side and over the top after the glue was spread out to contain the mess and flatten out the JB weld but you get the idea. It was as strong as new after only a few hours of curing.

-Rich
rbryantaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.