Front Seat Back Renovation - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Stan 24v

My Ride: F21 M135i
Wink Front Seat Back Renovation

Hi all

I have never been happy with my seat backs on the front seats, as they are marked to buggery probably from kids shoes etc with a previous owner. Add to that one of the nets is a bit stretched too. So, I bought myself some black alcantara type cloth off ebay and decided to wrap them.

In order to remove the seat backs there are two insert clips at the bottom of the seat which need to be removed. They are a pain to remove and will need force to get them out, or just chop the tops off them as they'll need replacing anyway. Once out then the seat should be pulled downwards and out towards you.

Once off you will see that the nets are held on with melted plastic on the back. To remove this I just used a hammer and small chisel

Next step is to get your material and lay it over the area to gauge the size needed, then cut out a rough square shape.

Now, spray the seat back with glue and manipulate the material into place being careful not to get glue onto the face of it and also trying not to crease it. The key is patience! The material can be pulled off and on so just take your time. Once on trim the edges so you only have a cm or so and then glue the edges and fold over.

Now, find the holes where the net sits and pirce the material with a blade and push it through. This makes a nice tight fit but does make it a bit awkward to get the net back on.

Once the net is on you need to hold it tightly in place (two pairs of hands are best here) and then dab some big blobs of glue from a glue gun on the reverse and hold it til it sets. Mine havent held very well so I am going to be looking at alternative methods, probably with some self tappers and washers.

This is them both covered, one with the net and one without; you dont have to use the nets but I like having them.

Next step is to go and refit the backs to your seats and sit back and admire your handy work

Cheers
Stan

Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
wow, looks great man. I'm going to give this a try when I have time.
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Stan 24v

Thanks mate, its easy and definitely gives it a nice refresh. I'm sure there are plenty more things that could be done, like Carbon fibre wrap etc

Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Did you spray the glue on both the fabric and the seat back?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Stan 24v

No mate I just coated the back and it was plenty as the material isnt very thick.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
The thickness of the material doesn't matter, I would double check with the adhesive. Most upholstery/decent grade adhesives will generally only last sticking together when glued together ie; spray both the seat back and the faux suede.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Long-dead thread, but I loved the idea so I did it in my convertible. DIY here:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showth...7&goto=newpost

If you want the net back, fill the tabs on the net holder with JB Weld then use screws and fender washers.

I removed the vinyl first, then put foam then the microsuede. Glue on both fabric and underlayment. Really happy with results
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #8
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI 6sp Vert
Year: 2003
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 6 speed & 3.38 LSD
This is a nice mod, if it was done in leather, it would match part of the extended leather option bmw had right? Trying to find a piece big enough online now.

Last edited by Landlorder; 05-13-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Landlorder is offline   Reply With Quote