[Release] MS45 Flasher (name subject to change) - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #41
Alchemy Design

My Ride: 330xi, 328, 525, 335
Year: 2001
Model: 330xi
Transmission: Auto
MS 45.1 DME related question, so if I'm not in the right spot, please forgive me. I'm hoping to help out others that may be having the same issues...

I have 5 E46's (1 MS42, 3 MS43, and 1 MS45.1)
I bought the 2004 325i, MS45.1, and it's doing some ~really~ weird things. Things that I can't research through the normal channels, because it's a SULEV car. :/

Question: Can the DME be the probable cause of a repeated, partial system shutdown? (further details below, I'll try to keep it simple as possible)

-Car will start and run perfectly, for about 15 min, then just *poof* shuts off. - restarts right away, shorter run time, and shuts off, restart it, even shorter run time, and it shuts off. NO CEL, stored codes, or anything remotely indicating a problem.
(Acts just like a clogged fuel filter, but definitely not the case, as it gets weirder from here)
If I restart a few times, when it quits running (Ignition still in run position), it's like the ignition is being toggled off and on, with Traction control light, brake light, CEL, and EML coming on and off about the frequency of a turn signal. It also toggles the fuel pump module.
I have a very remote and quiet workshop, and the only two things I can hear during the toggle is the fuel pump, and if I unplug it, I can hear a slight toggled buzz from the Throttle body. No relays clicking, or anything of the sort. (cover off the engine bay DME housing)

so I'm asking (because it's a SULEV and there's virtually no documentation of them online anywhere) Is it possible the DME can be taking a crap? (internals heating up and going bonkers?)

Or, even better, has anyone even experienced this same problem?

ANY info is greatly appreciated, and as of right now, I'm going to install the flasher, and see if I can even read the DME...
Alchemy Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #42
Alchemy Design

UPDATE:

Cannot connect to the DME using the flasher, but INPA works, just everything is in German, so it's Uber hard to understand what's going on.

Also, probably a major factor in this issue is that some complete knitwit hacked up the OBD2 wires to add a vehicle tracker/GPS locator.

I'm guessing at some point in this car's life it was financed through a Mom-and-Pops car lot, and the installer shouldn't have been allowed to touch a car.

So, off to the junkyard to get an OBD plug and PROPERLY fix the harness, then we'll see what can transpire on the read/write of the DME, or if it's just cooked.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #43
nextelbuddy

My Ride: e46 ZHP
Year: 2003
Model: 330i ZHP
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Unfortunately, no. It's not a 1 byte change like on MSS54 that is easy for anyone to do. It took months of disassembly hacking to make it work.

If you want to replicate that effort, feel free to share it. :p

If you just want to clone your DME, get BDM and copy everything over bit for bit. You typically won't even have to synch the rolling code, because the exact state is copied from the EEPROM of the original DME.

first thing first..... This is amazing, You and Terra working together to make this sleek, simple application that just works.

i have used bimmerlabs in the past to EWS delete one of my MS45.1 ZHP dmes to use in my ZHp wagon project.

i'm about to do another ZHP wagon project but i'm going to assume that even though i have the modified BIN file AND ODA version of the file that has SAP, EWS deleted that i will NOT be able to just flash that file to another MS45.1 DME expecting the EWS to remain deleted.

did a lot of reading online and it looks like for MS45.1 EWS delete that you need to BDM to retrieve the FLASH memory portion to wipe the ISN or something to that effect and if i tried flashing my EWS deleted BIN file with your APP it will most likely not work or brick the DME.

Last edited by nextelbuddy; 05-29-2019 at 03:55 PM.
nextelbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #44
simba15

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
It's the number after 1214. Give me the last 7 of the Vin for both car's and I'll get you the right number
So Turns out the X3 is MS45.0 and My E46 is MS45.1 Should i use a ZUSB from a ms45.1 E46 car? Are there any compatibility issues for the ZUSB#'s?

I see 7561520 is for vehicles with "Performance package" would this be a good place to start?

Thanks.
simba15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:58 PM   #45
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by simba15 View Post
So Turns out the X3 is MS45.0 and My E46 is MS45.1 Should i use a ZUSB from a ms45.1 E46 car? Are there any compatibility issues for the ZUSB#'s?

I see 7561520 is for vehicles with "Performance package" would this be a good place to start?

Thanks.
You can't use MS45.1 software on an MS45.0
Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #46
simba15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
You can't use MS45.1 software on an MS45.0
Correct, the chassis (E46) is MS45.1 , the engine was removed from a MS45.0 vehicle.

Since I cant use the MS45.0 Software , what ZUSB # should I use? 2005 330I?

7561520 is from 2005 330I with "performance package"

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #47
simba15

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba15 View Post
Correct, the chassis (E46) is MS45.1 , the engine was removed from a MS45.0 vehicle.

Since I cant use the MS45.0 Software , what ZUSB # should I use? 2005 330I?

7561520 is from 2005 330I with "performance package"

Thanks!
Any thoughts?

Is there is WinKFP guide to updating the ECM? Just don't want to brick any thing.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #48
Alchemy Design

Here's a question I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

2004 325i M56 SULEV KP84870 if you want to be specific.

My question is; Is there any correlation, whatsoever, in any way, between the thermal oil level sensor, and a complete engine shut-down (Electronically)?

As in; Does the oil level sensor have the capability to shut-down the engine as a safety? Could a defective one cause sporadic, engine-kill?

I've got very little hair left to pull out working on this thing.

Next step is a MS43 swap. I've got all the goodies sitting here. It's THAT frustrating...

Any help is always greatly appreciated. =)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #49
Alchemy Design

MS45.1 DME (That I should have mentioned)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #50
Nisnos

My Ride: Z4
This is great news.

I've managed to open it but can't get any response from the dme.

When I click identify dme nothing happens?
Nisnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:47 AM   #51
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy Design View Post
MS 45.1 DME related question, so if I'm not in the right spot, please forgive me. I'm hoping to help out others that may be having the same issues...

I have 5 E46's (1 MS42, 3 MS43, and 1 MS45.1)
I bought the 2004 325i, MS45.1, and it's doing some ~really~ weird things. Things that I can't research through the normal channels, because it's a SULEV car. :/

Question: Can the DME be the probable cause of a repeated, partial system shutdown? (further details below, I'll try to keep it simple as possible)

-Car will start and run perfectly, for about 15 min, then just *poof* shuts off. - restarts right away, shorter run time, and shuts off, restart it, even shorter run time, and it shuts off. NO CEL, stored codes, or anything remotely indicating a problem.
(Acts just like a clogged fuel filter, but definitely not the case, as it gets weirder from here)
If I restart a few times, when it quits running (Ignition still in run position), it's like the ignition is being toggled off and on, with Traction control light, brake light, CEL, and EML coming on and off about the frequency of a turn signal. It also toggles the fuel pump module.
I have a very remote and quiet workshop, and the only two things I can hear during the toggle is the fuel pump, and if I unplug it, I can hear a slight toggled buzz from the Throttle body. No relays clicking, or anything of the sort. (cover off the engine bay DME housing)

so I'm asking (because it's a SULEV and there's virtually no documentation of them online anywhere) Is it possible the DME can be taking a crap? (internals heating up and going bonkers?)

Or, even better, has anyone even experienced this same problem?

ANY info is greatly appreciated, and as of right now, I'm going to install the flasher, and see if I can even read the DME...

Sounds like you have a wiring or component issue of some sort. I had a similar problem when changing the factory DME out for an aftermarket one. The power was back feeding through some relays etc such that it would shut down from overtemp caused by current leakage. It would also give problems on shutdown as power was back feeding through sensors and relays causing the DME to boot and then turning off the offending relay which would cut power causing the cycle again and again.

Check for bad grounds, blown fuses, sensors etc. Pull relays one at a time to see if it stops "cycling" and also check ones behind the fuse box.

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:30 AM   #52
Alchemy Design

Iíve been slowly disassembling the car over the past few days since I made this post. But it turns out that the thermal oil level sensor in the pan on a SULEV, when defective, will cause it to act all kinds of crazy. Replaced the thermal oil level sensor and cannot get the car to duplicate the same shut off issue as I had before. Iím keeping my fingers crossed that that was the whole problem. Seems kind of crappy that a bad sensor would cut the car off completely.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 06-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #53
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
It could be registering overtemp for the oil and going into failsafe mode?

It could be a requirement for SULEV to have all possible emissions failures to be contained?

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #54
Alchemy Design

Blu302 Iím Finding out very quickly that the SULEV cars are unlike anything else on the road as far as the 46s. Especially with the M56 engine. There are a ton of subtle differences between the normal M56 E46 and the SULEV version.
Iíve run the car for several 1hr stints in the garage, with no failure. Iím going to street test it next, with my AAA card handy...lol

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 07-04-2019, 04:58 AM   #55
Nisnos

Hi guys
Still can't connect.
Is there a specific voltage that the ms45 needs to see for the flasher to work?
Old 07-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #56
Nisnos

Hi

I'm still having no success on Windows 10, 7 or xp.

Can anyone advise please.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #57
TerraPhantm

You're not giving me a whole lot to go on. Did you look at the instructions on the github page? Do you have INPA/Ediabas? Do those work for other tasks? What kind of cable are you using? What's the cable's COM port set to? What's the COM port set to in the .config file?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #58
Nisnos

Apologies.

I have a full working inpa.

Com port 1
Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #59
TerraPhantm

If you click load sgbd and load MS45DS0.prg or 10MDS45.prg, does it still not work?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:59 AM   #60
Nisnos

Hi terrace
Thankyou for your reply.

I get further now!
But now I get

DME TYPE. UNKNOWN / UNSUPPORTED

DIAG. PROTOCOL BMW FAST