Why single payer health care is a terrible option - Page 40 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:31 AM   #781
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
We canít afford quality single healthcare for all that is why every place that attempts it rations access and treatment.
All don't need quality healthcare at the same time. But it's there when individuals will need quality healthcare because all will need it eventually.

Quote:
If itís not your money, the next time a panhandler approaches you for change, hand him all your cash.
I work in an impoverished area and I do give to panhandlers. I bring water with me too, in case they are thirsty. Now what?

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #782
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Been MIA for a bit but came across this article in my inbox. There are some good bits - some that I believe have been mentioned before. Providing additional transparency around pricing will aid employers and consumers in their quest for reasonably priced health care and create a more competitive marketplace.

Quote:
The U.S. Canít Fix Health Care Without Better Price Data

The recently released RAND report on hospital pricing has fur flying over what hospitals charge and whether it has the right numbers. The study provided employers a glimpse into the high and variable prices they pay for health care services for their employees. As soon as the data was released, the study faced an onslaught of criticism: that the sample was too small, not representative, and only included data from about half the states. Hospitals questioned whether Medicare rates were a fair comparator, among other things.

Controversy over methodology aside, the RAND report makes one point absolutely clear: The most basic information needed to create a functioning health care market ó data on health care prices ó is lacking in the United States. Even assembling RANDís incomplete sample of hospital prices required heroic effort by a very talented and credible analytic team.

The obvious question: Why is it so hard for purchasers to find out what they are paying for health care? The main reason is that insurers and providers donít want to release the data. Insurers and hospitals treat prices as trade secrets: the result of hush-hush negotiations. At least 26 states have begun to demand release of prices to construct state-wide databases, known as All Payer Claims Databases (APCDs), but ERISA, the federal statute that sets minimum standards for most employer health plans in private industry, prevents states from requiring that self-insured employers reveal their prices. In addition, many of the APCDs are underfunded and under-resourced, meaning they canít provide the analyses and reports needed to make best use of the data. And to be fair, there hasnít been much demand for the data until recently, when some employers and employees awakened to their inability to make informed health-care-purchasing decisions.

For advocates of market-based solutions to containing health care costs, the lack of price data is a crippling barrier to success. So the next obvious question is: How can valid and useful health care pricing data be obtained?

For starters, employers could insist that contracts with insurers and third-party administrators, which administer plans without taking insurance risk, include language requiring that negotiated prices be shared with purchasers of insurance. Federal and state policy makers, for their part, could legislate the right of employers and employees to have access to price information. State governments in particular can assist by establishing state-wide all-payer pricing databases and supporting them with analytic resources to document patterns and unexplained variations in what providers charge.

The federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has in the past required hospitals to make public their official price lists for services, but this does not meet the need. Official prices have little bearing on the secret negotiated prices that insurers and hospitals agree upon, which are usually discounted substantially ó though, as the RAND report indicated, they are still much higher than what Medicare pays. Official prices, therefore, are neither actionable nor helpful for making purchasing decisions.

Congress is considering options to increase price transparency. On May 23, the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee released a bipartisan ďdiscussion draftĒ of legislation that seeks cost control in part through creating a national database of de-identified claims data, including prices. This would establish the equivalent of a nation-wide APCD and could be a boon to understanding prices and health care costs. In addition, the draft law aims to give employers the tools they need to manage their health benefits more effectively and provides funds to support state APCDs.

The Trump administration has also indicated interest in making true price information available to patients, providers, and other stakeholders. It is expected to release an administrative order soon that would mandate the public disclosure of prices negotiated between insurers and providers. Either the proposed legislation or the executive order or both would be major leaps toward empowering purchasers in health care markets.

Economists, policymakers, and industry continue to debate whether health care can ever function as anything resembling a normal competitive market. One thing, however, is beyond dispute. We can never test this proposition until employers and patients have access to the most basic element of any normal marketplace: prices.
https://hbr.org/2019/05/the-u-s-cant...ryName=DM38608

I've been out of the country but did this happen in my absence?

Trump Administration Preparing Executive Order on Health-Cost Disclosure
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #783
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
All don't need quality healthcare at the same time. But it's there when individuals will need quality healthcare because all will need it eventually.

I work in an impoverished area and I do give to panhandlers. I bring water with me too, in case they are thirsty. Now what?

All of your money! Not just crumbs.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #784
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Been MIA for a bit but came across this article in my inbox. There are some good bits - some that I believe have been mentioned before. Providing additional transparency around pricing will aid employers and consumers in their quest for reasonably priced health care and create a more competitive marketplace.

https://hbr.org/2019/05/the-u-s-cant...ryName=DM38608

I've been out of the country but did this happen in my absence?

Trump Administration Preparing Executive Order on Health-Cost Disclosure
I'm sure the GOP is right on it.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:28 PM   #785
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
It's right there in their detailed health system plan they've had out and been vigorously pushing as a viable alternative to ACA for the past decade.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #786
Hobohunter

My Ride: Mustang GT
Year: 2016
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
It's right there in their detailed health system plan they've had out and been vigorously pushing as a viable alternative to ACA for the past decade.
While they certainly should come up with a viable alternative, there's no need to wait to get rid of a crap law until you come up with a better one. If it's crap, it's crap. Get rid of it.

I will say my only big beef with the ACA has been gotten rid of already, so I don't really care if it goes away or stays. The individual mandate was absolute garbage.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #787
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
All of your money! Not just crumbs.
One of these days (and I doubt it will be long) the current health care system is going to forcefully bend you over and have it's way with all your money. Then you will get it... but it will be too late.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote