So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along? - Page 298 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #5941
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
Isn't that a reason to celebrate...
If you like glaciers shrinking at an increasingly rapid rate, then yes.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #5942
Rhumb

Declassified satellite images show how Himalayan glaciers have shrunk
And the rate of ice loss is increasing.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #5943
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post

1) capture the glacial melt
2) bottle it
3) brand it
4) market and sell it
5) profit

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3712.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	777911

Last edited by ed17331; 06-20-2019 at 10:55 AM.
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #5944
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Quote:
that's not what you said, or wrote, well technically...
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #5945
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
that's not what you said, or wrote, well technically...
I see you are into hopeless projects...
Old 06-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #5946
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Rhumb:

Glaciers growing is not evidence of anything
Glaciers shrinking is evidence of everything

“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #5947
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Rhumb:

A single glacier growing is not evidence of anything
Most world glaciers shrinking is evidence of something

Corrected ^

Meanwhile, in the rest of Greenland:

Greenland is melting
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-e...and-is-melting

And in the rest of the Arctic:

Arctic Ice Coverage Nears Record Low as Summer Heats Up
https://weather.com/news/news/2019-0...ce-melt-record

Perhaps put your little picked cherry on your bowl of consolation ice cream.

Last edited by Rhumb; 06-20-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #5948
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
NOAA/NASA: Oops, we need to adjust the temperatures again and what do you know....we have to cool the past and heat up the present yet again

https://realclimatescience.com/2019/...tipping-point/
Yet another round of spectacular data tampering by NASA and NOAA. cooling the past and warming the present.

Logically, this would be NOAA/NASA admitting that past temps were unreliable. As such, all prior data is unreliable and all studies are, therefore, unreliable. GIGO. You can't have it both ways.
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #5949
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Quote:
NOAA/NASA: Oops, we need to adjust the temperatures again and what do you know....we have to cool the past and heat up the present yet again

https://realclimatescience.com/2019/...tipping-point/
Yet another round of spectacular data tampering by NASA and NOAA. cooling the past and warming the present.

Logically, this would be NOAA/NASA admitting that past temps were unreliable. As such, all prior data is unreliable and all studies are, therefore, unreliable. GIGO. You can't have it both ways.

Actually looks like they warmed the past mostly.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #5950
Cabrio330

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Actually looks like they warmed the past mostly.

Not sure how you conclude that by looking at three lines covering 150 years but ok. Any observations about the constant data manipulation? Does that add to or take away from a reasonable person's confidence in the data? When they say the science is settled, why is there a need to constantly manipulate data? Is it because the science is not settled but the conclusions are settled?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #5951
Act of God

What are you talking about? Compare 2000 (blue) to 2019 (red)...the past temps plummet and the present temps skyrocket.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #5952
WDE46

Quote:
What are you talking about? Compare 2000 (blue) to 2019 (red)...the past temps plummet and the present temps skyrocket.

Yeah but the 2017 to 2019 comparison kind of ruins your argument. And still your argument is that since results aren't what you want, that means they're wrong. It's almost like every year the temperatures are updated based on what's been learned recently. As we go on, we get a better and better picture.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #5953
Act of God

2017 (green) to 2019 (red) does no such thing, past is colder present is warmer. It's the same thing as 2000 to 2019, cool the past heat the present.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #5954
WDE46

Quote:
2017 (green) to 2019 (red) does no such thing, past is colder present is warmer. It's the same thing as 2000 to 2019, cool the past heat the present.

Uh the 2019 line is majority above the 2017 line in the past lmao.

It also makes sense that more recent data gets more adjustment since information takes a while to come in worldwide. Notice how the 20th century post-war doesn't really get adjusted that much. And earlier in the century is obviously subject to studies that consider the effects of the various measurement methods and locations before anything was even somewhat standardized.

You say something looks suspicious, therefore it's wrong. Instead of thinking something is suspicious and asking why, you just stop there. You're not interested in going deeper. None of you lot are. When you go deeper you find the actual reasons for these things and they don't fit your agenda so you just pretend like they don't exist.

Last edited by WDE46; 06-25-2019 at 11:25 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #5955
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...21818112001658
The phase relation between atmospheric carbon dioxide and global temperature
Global and Planetary Change, Volume 100, January 2013, Pages 51-69

The study demonstrates that Earth has been warming through the last century, and that warming CAUSED the rise in atmospheric CO2 to above 400pm.
Umm...did you actually read beyond the title? This actually entirely refutes your position on the matter.

Quote:
Humlum et al., 2013 conclude that the change in atmospheric CO2 from January 1980 is natural, rather than human induced. However, their use of differentiated time series removes long term trends such that the presented results cannot support this conclusion. Using the same data sources it is shown that this conclusion violates conservation of mass. Furthermore it is determined that human emissions explain the entire observed long term trend with a residual that is indistinguishable from zero, and that the natural temperature-dependent effect identified by Humlum et al. is an important contributor to the variability, but does not explain any of the observed long term trend of + 1.62 ppm yr***8722; 1.

This is rhumb level work, nicely done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
The universe is probably the only true one. That is why experiments on the Law of Conservation of Mass/Energy, are so difficult. Early experiments seemed to support the Theory until measurement became more precise and mass seemed to disappear or magically get created by chemical reactions. Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity and the even better methods of measuring thermal loss or gain, allowed for the calculation of the effect on mass of energy changes, lending support to the apparently flawed theory.

The matter of it only applying to a closed system is not up for discussion. You can make up some other physical law but once you call it the Law of Conservation of Mass, game over. It is embedded in the definition.
Correct, which is why assumptions are made in studies. I'm not buying the official PDF of this study, if anyone has I'd be curious to read it, but it seems that there was a flagrant enough violation that they called it out.

Quote:
A glacier is growing due to a periodic regional phenomenon (North Atlantic Oscillation). Most others world glaciers shrinking, many increasingly rapidly.

What you wrote is, I'm guessing, not what you meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post
1) capture the glacial melt
2) bottle it
3) brand it
4) market and sell it
5) profit

Attachment 777911
I drank a bunch of this last week, it was really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Not sure how you conclude that by looking at three lines covering 150 years but ok. Any observations about the constant data manipulation? Does that add to or take away from a reasonable person's confidence in the data? When they say the science is settled, why is there a need to constantly manipulate data? Is it because the science is not settled but the conclusions are settled?
Data manipulations are not usually for nefarious reasons. Take off your tin foil hat.

Quote:

It also makes sense that more recent data gets more adjustment since information takes a while to come in worldwide. Notice how the 20th century post-war doesn't really get adjusted that much. And earlier in the century is obviously subject to studies that consider the effects of the various measurement methods and locations before anything was even somewhat standardized.

You say something looks suspicious, therefore it's wrong. Instead of thinking something is suspicious and asking why, you just stop there. You're not interested in going deeper. None of you lot are. When you go deeper you find the actual reasons for these things and they don't fit your agenda so you just pretend like they don't exist.
This.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #5956
Cabrio330

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Data manipulations are not usually for nefarious reasons. Take off your tin foil hat.
No tin foil hat here, sport. I did not suggest the manipulations were necessarily nefarious. I merely pointed out the disconnect between settled science and backward data manipulations.

I guess for one to be intellectually curious, one must first be somewhat intellectual.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #5957
WDE46

There is never going to be a point at any time where anything is absolutely unchanging. If you've got a problem with that, bury your nose in a religious text. Science constantly revises and checks itself. That is the process. The data still supports the conclusions, year after year here. When the data stops supporting the conclusions, then conclusions change.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #5958
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Quote:

But not where in matters, the beginning and the end...
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #5959
Cabrio330

Quote:
There is never going to be a point at any time where anything is absolutely unchanging. If you've got a problem with that, bury your nose in a religious text. Science constantly revises and checks itself. That is the process. The data still supports the conclusions, year after year here. When the data stops supporting the conclusions, then conclusions change.
Aside from the obnoxious and unnecessary dismissal of religion, which I know eases your insecurities and makes you feel smarter than others, everything you wrote is correct. Or, at least I agree with you.

But we have been told the science is settled which, to me, means there will be no change in the current conclusions. So I guess that means that both you and me are wrong about your last point.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #5960
Act of God

Quote:
But not where in matters, the beginning and the end...
..I erroneously assumed that it was obvious