Front OEM PDC enabled IBUS experts please help!!! - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #21
E46-Cabrio

My Ride: E46 330CI Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by akraf View Post
One thing that i've noticed is that on the fuse holder i should connect green/white cable to fuse 24, where does the other end go from the fuse? i cant see any wiring there?

// Samir
I think I can aswer this question,

Normally if you look very close into the fuseholder (fuse #24), you will see that the other end of the fuse is already connected. There is already a pin present.

The only thing you have to do is add 1 pin.
E46-Cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:20 AM   #22
Mman004

My Ride: 2000 E46
Front OEM PDC enabled IBUS experts please help!!!

Sorry I'm now looking at this. Let me know if you were able to get it. I'm still trying to find a way to get the dynavin to show pdc sensors when in drive position.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Mman004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #23
Junglas

My Ride: e46 330cd
Mman004 I'm in the process of doing this exact same retrofit on my E46, but I already have the read PDC from factory.

you are indicating that Dynavin does not show the sensor view, when driving front, even with the buzzer working?
Junglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
Mman004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglas View Post
Mman004 I'm in the process of doing this exact same retrofit on my E46, but I already have the read PDC from factory.

you are indicating that Dynavin does not show the sensor view, when driving front, even with the buzzer working?
Yeah....when the car is in drive the dynavin does not show the sensor view however the buzzer for the front will continue to work. The dynavin has to be either tricked into going into reverse mode (I am not good with relays and haven't attempted it yet) or hacked somehow to include a screen that responds when pdc is activated in drive. I contacted dynavin directly and have not received a response as yet. I'm hoping they correct it with this new N6 platform coming out.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:47 AM   #25
Mman004

Been doing some research. I believe that the answer to my question lies within the can bus interface box that comes with the dynavin navi. The can bus interface is actually a microcontroller similar to the reslers microcontroller (and many others). It is basically a computer that tells the dynavin which screen to show/functions to perform. It reads the message from the kbus of the e46 and switches each screen or raises the volume or whatever functions that the dynavin is capable of performing.

My guess is that dynavin programmed the microcontroller to switch to the pdc screen when in reverse. However it needs to be programmed to tell the dynavin to switch to pdc screen when the pdc module is activated.

If there is a way I can find the correct program to read the microcontroller,I may be able to see what messages are being sent to the dynavin and make appropriate changes. If anybody can help me with this it would be awesome
Old 01-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #26
freddykat_PT

My Ride: E46 320Cd M-tech II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mman004 View Post
Been doing some research. I believe that the answer to my question lies within the can bus interface box that comes with the dynavin navi. The can bus interface is actually a microcontroller similar to the reslers microcontroller (and many others). It is basically a computer that tells the dynavin which screen to show/functions to perform. It reads the message from the kbus of the e46 and switches each screen or raises the volume or whatever functions that the dynavin is capable of performing.

My guess is that dynavin programmed the microcontroller to switch to the pdc screen when in reverse. However it needs to be programmed to tell the dynavin to switch to pdc screen when the pdc module is activated.

If there is a way I can find the correct program to read the microcontroller,I may be able to see what messages are being sent to the dynavin and make appropriate changes. If anybody can help me with this it would be awesome
Well mate, i have pdc on rear on my 2004 320Cd, but i would like to have them in front.... and im interested in using a front pdc.
The way i see you have to use some sort of relay, or double way relay, i will explain with some pictures...

If you install the OEM box the radio just need the canbus and know when you are in reverse, however as you want also the front to triger the screen change you have to use the wire on the radio that says "reverse control" to triger the change.... only for the front, because as i said the rear do it by bus.
The way i see it, you can use some sort of wire that only have energy when the pdc is chiming, i thought about the bell wire....and a relay with some sort of timming (say stay on 5 sec after the triger hapens, and they change for normal using.... when chime on front automatic change of screen...

See the picture that i made and post something on the comments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TESTE.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	623315   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	623316  
freddykat_PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:01 AM   #27
Tae

My Ride: e46(2001)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mman004 View Post
Sorry for the late response...

The PDC module is the ones used on the 5 and 7 series. the part number: 66.21-6 916-406. You can find these on ebay from $15-$50. Make sure it has 3 ports on it as opposed to 2.

As far as the connector goes that can be found at the dealer or ecs tuning. I don't remember the P/N off hand but shoot me a pm and I can try to locate it for you when I have some time on my hands.

Any questions let me know and I will get back to you. If you get a handle on the ibus configuration I was asking about please share the info on this thread
Do you think is the latest PDC module possibly working with e46? like f10 OEM PDC module..
if possible, do you think is the visual assistance graphic getting as good as what f10 shows on its screen?
Tae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #28
Tae

Does pdc sensor i bought for the rear PDC job work in the front bumper too? Cause I have some left from the back, i think i use this for the front.
Should I get new pec sensor for the front, or Can I use this for the front as well?
Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #29
Tae

awesome thread.. thank you!
but I don't understand what those number means

"12-pol connector--> Car
1--> slot 24 of fuse box
12--> connects into the blue yellow wire (reverse wire)- these can all be found in the box above the fuse location
4--> red/yellow/white wire(kbus)
6--> brown/black wire(ground)"

Could you explain what these numbers mean?
Old 03-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #30
Tae

Sorry. One more question.
How did you deal with the front? where did you have it located at the front?
Did you drill bumper? If did, any ideas of setup the front PDC sensor without damaging car bumper?

Thank you.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #31
freddykat_PT

My Ride: E46 320Cd M-tech II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tae View Post
awesome thread.. thank you!
but I don't understand what those number means

"12-pol connector--> Car
1--> slot 24 of fuse box - PIN 1 IN PDC PLUG CONNECT IN THE Nº24 SLOT OF THE FUSE PANEL
12--> connects into the blue yellow wire (reverse wire)- these can all be found in the box above the fuse location - TAKE OFF YOUR FUSE BOX AND SEARCH FOR BIG CONNECTORS BOX WITH THAT COLOR AND CONECT IT TO PIN12 ON PDC
4--> red/yellow/white wire(kbus) - TAKE OFF YOUR FUSE BOX AND SEARCH FOR BIG CONNECTORS BOX WITH THAT COLOR AND CONECT IT TO PIN12 ON PDC
6--> brown/black wire(ground)" MEANS NEGATIVE MANY POINTS NEAR TRUNK TO PICK IT UP

THIS ONLY APLIES TO NON PDC CARS, FOR THE OEM REAR PDC THEY ARE ALREADY THERE AND CONNECTED, FOR FRONT JUST NEED ANOTHER SET OF SENSORS AND USE THE FREE PLUG ON E60 FRONT+REAR PDC MODULE

Could you explain what these numbers mean?
the number of the pin where it connects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tae View Post
Sorry. One more question.
How did you deal with the front? where did you have it located at the front?
Did you drill bumper? If did, any ideas of setup the front PDC sensor without damaging car bumper?

Thank you.
Since i already bought some stuff for it and i'm currently in the process of doing it will give my thoughts
Drill the bumper but i will use E9x front sensors as they fit flush with the bumper face, and use this holder bracket.

The sensor can be seen in this next link:

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/PDC-P...406a1bb0e86e-0

Nice price and free shiping, at least to Portugal.

The PDC sensor holder you can see next link, but aint going to buy them since i own a 3D printer and i can make them myself. Less assle, i can get them to fit 100% perfect since i have to draw/design them before print itself. They are pricy online, if you know someone who owns a 3d printer, he can make them almost for no money.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HOLDER-BRACKE...0AAOSwAj5ZxNuG

Tell me something, i also will wrap the all car from Black to Blue, do you know any type of ink to paint them to match color but don't affect the sensing?
freddykat_PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:47 AM   #32
delpiero3

My Ride: BMW 320d
Hello guys,

i want to give you my 50cents on this topic, for which I spend quite some time in brainstorming the perfect OEM front PDC for E46.
Since i have the facelift E46 version, my console panel didn't came with individual buttons, but with the all in one solution. I made quite a lot of retrofit, so i got the panel with all buttons including the sport button, which i don't use since i have a 320d and the DDE doesn't handle this mode.
I got the console panel from an E39, for which i took the PDC button and did wire the original E46 one to the E39 one. I made some cut of the original button connector to isolate the pins and link them the the E39 panel, that i hide in behind the HVAC and cigarette lighter. Of course, a E39 PDC module with the extra blue connector was fitted as well in place of my original 2 connectors one.
Result is pretty OEM in my opinion, combine with the Raspberry Pi BMWRaspControl solution, i got a pretty decent front PDC handling in my E46.
Regarding the mounting of the front sensors, as i have the M2 front bumper, i used the rubber protection and got some mounting holder from here that supports the original E38/E39/E46 PDC sensors : https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/4x-BMW-...0AAOxyLm9TDxNl
the diameter of the hole is 23mm, which is a pain since there is, at least in Europe, no drill bits to make such hole, so i had to use a conic one and i marked the place where it is 23mm on it so i know when to stop.
Here is some pictures how it looks and behave, hope you appreciate the work.

Last edited by delpiero3; 06-02-2019 at 06:33 AM.
delpiero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:29 AM   #33
CabrioPassion

My Ride: 330Ci Cabrio 6 MT
Transmission: Manual 6 gears
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpiero3 View Post
Hello guys,

i want to give you my 50cents on this topic, for which I spend quite some time in brainstorming the perfect OEM front PDC for E46.
Since i have the facelift E46 version, my console panel didn't came with individual buttons, but with the all in one solution. I made quite a lot of retrofit, so i got the panel with all buttons including the sport button, which i don't use since i have a 320d and the DDE doesn't handle this mode.
I got the console panel from an E39, for which i took the PDC button and did wire the original E46 one to the E39 one. I made some cut of the original button connector to isolate the pins and link them the the E39 panel, that i hide in behind the HVAC and cigarette lighter. Of course, a E39 PDC module with the extra blue connector was fitted as well in place of my original 2 connectors one.
Result is pretty OEM in my opinion, combine with the Raspberry Pi BMWRaspControl solution, i got a pretty decent front PDC handling in my E46.
Regarding the mounting of the front sensors, as i have the M2 front bumper, i used the rubber protection and got some mounting holder from here that supports the original E38/E39/E46 PDC sensors : https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/4x-BMW-...0AAOxyLm9TDxNl
the diameter of the hole is 23mm, which is a pain since there is, at least in Europe, no drill bits to make such hole, so i had to use a conic one and i marked the place where it is 23mm on it so i know when to stop.
Here is some pictures how it looks and behave, hope you appreciate the work.

Gran bel lavoro, bravo

PS: se ti interessa, esistono anche i PDC di tipo adesivo interno al paraurti, dunque invisibili.
CabrioPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:37 AM   #34
delpiero3

My Ride: BMW 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabrioPassion View Post
Gran bel lavoro, bravo

PS: se ti interessa, esistono anche i PDC di tipo adesivo interno al paraurti, dunque invisibili.
Grazie, ma ci sono 2 problemi con questo tipo di PDC :

- funziona solo se sei in movimento
- sarebbe stato probabilmente impossibile di sistemarlo con il modulo PDC della E46, quello che volevo più di tutto ... comunque rimane una soluzione per chi non ha voglia di complicarsi la vita
delpiero3 is offline   Reply With Quote