It's BBQ season again! - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #41
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
wait, not done with the grill discussion jjr!

i've got a weber charcoal and a big gas grill for quick stuff. for my weber i bought a smokenator a few years ago http://www.smokenator.com/ it turns your weber into an indirect smoker. i've used it a bunch, but with all fuel burning smokers it takes babying all day to replace fuel, water, and smoke wood. not the easiest to control and hard to keep really low temps. it gives a good smoke flavor, but is hard to get things really fall off the bone tender without a lot of babysitting. i was thinking of doing the first hour with the smokenator to develop smoke flavor and then wrap in foil and finish in the oven. would that work?

but more recently i have been thinking of getting an electric smoker that will just do the entire job easily. any thoughts or recommendations on that?
Never used the smokenator before but if it can get that good flavor into the meat, then continue to use it. Personally for ribs, I would use it for 2 hours or so, then yes, you can put it in aluminum foil and keep your oven at 225. What I would suggest as well is, if you have a pizza stone, keep it on the bottom rack of your oven, it will help the oven remain at a constant temperature rather than jumping between 200-240. Maybe even set your oven to lower just so you don't over cook the ribs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
BBQ guys hate the term "fall off the bone". Ribs should never fall off the bone unless they were accidentally overcooked.

You can finish in the oven if it's easier for you, but it will take a different approach to get a great finished product than finishing on the BBQ. Wrapping ribs in foil with something inside of the foil is pretty much the standard technique. It comes down to what you're putting in that foil to preserve moisture, add flavor, and make an all around good rib.

Getting the right combination of heat to smoke and vice versa is tough. The people that I know that make good cue are fanatical about having the right combination of smoke to heat.

Brisket is the one that most people I know haven't mastered. Mainly because they are so damn expensive and the cooking of a brisket literally comes down to minutes. 5 minutes could make or break a good brisket.
Meh... those anti fall off the bone BBQ'ers are as compareable to e46 drivers that hate every other single model lol. As long as the ribs are moist and flavorful, for me, that is what is needed. If the meat breaks apart a little while cutting the ribs, who cares... it is usually super super tender and moist. Nothing wrong with fall off the bone ribs. "Overcooked" for me means the moisture was cooked out of the meat, not that the bones are falling off.

If they are a bit meaty and not fall off the bone, thats fine too. As long as they aren't dry that is all that matters to me lol.

I've done brisket a couple times... and I found it rather forgiving. You need to keep the temp constant at 225, you need to flip it often, and depending on the size, anywhere in the 8-16 hour range is fine. Never made a brisket where I found that it was very sensitive to how long its been smoking for. Even the one I smoked for 24 hours was tender as hell and juicy.

The next time I do it however, I am going to wrap it in foil after 4-5 hours of smoking. Nice experiment to see what happens
Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #42
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
if you watch any of the bbq competition shows they all pretty much have the same technique. it's smoked for a few hours to develop the flavor and smoke ring, and then usually wrapped and then at the end finished on high heat to get crust.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #43
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Time to start another fistfight.... I think brine is a 5 letter word.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #44
JJR4884

wat
Old 05-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #45
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
if you watch any of the bbq competition shows they all pretty much have the same technique. it's smoked for a few hours to develop the flavor and smoke ring, and then usually wrapped and then at the end finished on high heat to get crust.
I figured this was done because of time constraints imposed by the competition rules.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #46
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
wat
I was never a brine fan...I found that it adds water content to food, diluting the flavor...sure you introduce some new flavor, but the main protein gets that watered down flavor...similar to grass fed beef, which tastes like poland spring. Im not saying you cant make good food with a brine, it's just not my preferred method of marinating.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #47
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I figured this was done because of time constraints imposed by the competition rules.
It used to be a dream of mine to compete....until I watched more and more of these competitions, and actually ate at a few.....IMHO...the food tastes mostly the same. Im more of an innovation kinda guy...sure the classics are great, but I'm always trying to mix new flavors, new techniques, etc into the mix to take a classic and modernize it. Last week I did ribs with a cherry preserve (similar to the stuff you'd put on fois gras) and it came out amazing...the crust was similar to peking duck skin...thin but super crunchy. I'd like to enter a competition that was just "make the best ribs you can" without any rules, but again, just me.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #48
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I was never a brine fan...I found that it adds water content to food, diluting the flavor...sure you introduce some new flavor, but the main protein gets that watered down flavor...similar to grass fed beef, which tastes like poland spring. Im not saying you cant make good food with a brine, it's just not my preferred method of marinating.
If the salinity in the brine is comparable to the salinity in the meat you are brining, i don't think you are going to get a watered down flavor. Also, I think brines shine with bigger pieces of meat that take longer to cook. The longer cook time allows more time for the water to escape, so its not like you are going to have a water logged brisket after 14 hours of smoking.

I prefer grass fed beef actually All natural baby

Last edited by JJR4884; 05-05-2014 at 09:55 AM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #49
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: E46 Dinan 330ci
brine usage is good to break down tough cuts of meat to make it more tender, good cuts don't need it.

Good ribs should pull off the bone easily, you shouldn't have to work to get the meat.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 05-05-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #50
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
brine usage is good to break down tough cuts of meat to make it more tender, good cuts don't need it.

Good ribs should pull off the bone easily, you shouldn't have to work to get the meat.
JJR is gonna slap you.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #51
JJR4884

Quote:
JJR is gonna slap you.
Not at all actually lol.... i prefer my ribs either way... as long as they taste good and are moist, i could care less if the bone comes right out, or if they need a little work on the tooth lol
Old 05-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #52
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
Agreed on the brining as well... getting a big brisket or pork butt brined is never a bad idea... however ribs, short ribs, chicken... a couple hours in a brine never hurt but you don't need to do an overnight brine like the larger tougher pieces of meat.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #53
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Dammit this thread is making me hungry now. Looking to improve my grilling this summer and this is giving good advice. I have a 4 burner char broil commercial grill that has been great for the past two years but no charcoal. The 4 burner is big enough to get some amount of indirect heat out of it though.

Any advice on accessories to get to make it all that much better? It has a (crappy) thermometer on it already.

Quote:
BTW, Joe deserves a b!tchslap...bbq season again? BBQ season never ends...I grill year round.
lol, grilling season for sure ends here. If you can grill when the windchill is -10F then more power to you but I'm sure as hell not going to be out there. IMO, grilling season just started here this week. The highs last week were ~40F with pouring rain.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #54
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Dammit this thread is making me hungry now. Looking to improve my grilling this summer and this is giving good advice. I have a 4 burner char broil commercial grill that has been great for the past two years but no charcoal. The 4 burner is big enough to get some amount of indirect heat out of it though.

Any advice on accessories to get to make it all that much better? It has a (crappy) thermometer on it already.

lol, grilling season for sure ends here. If you can grill when the windchill is -10F then more power to you but I'm sure as hell not going to be out there. IMO, grilling season just started here this week. The highs last week were ~40F with pouring rain.
Meh, just means you need a bigger fire.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #55
SamDoe1

Quote:
Meh, just means you need a bigger fire.
-10F will suck the heat out of any grill faster than you think. I had mine going with all four burners full blast and I could only get it to ~250F-300F with cover shut. Open that cover up and you're fvcked.

btw, you ready to sell that S2k yet?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #56
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
-10F will suck the heat out of any grill faster than you think. I had mine going with all four burners full blast and I could only get it to ~250F-300F with cover shut. Open that cover up and you're fvcked.

btw, you ready to sell that S2k yet?
Dafuq you gonna do with my s2k in minnesota?

Just changed the oil on it yesterday...put a lot of miles on her in 2013...all of 25.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #57
SamDoe1

I'm going to put a hell of a lot more than 25 miles on it in a year. Drive it in the summer, put it away in a nice garage for the winter. srs though, I am in the market for one now.

Contrary to popular belief, it gets hot as fvck here in the summer. By end of July we'll easily be in the upper 90's with high humidity...and then 6 months later it'll be 100 degrees colder.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #58
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I'm going to put a hell of a lot more than 25 miles on it in a year. Drive it in the summer, put it away in a nice garage for the winter. srs though, I am in the market for one now.

Contrary to popular belief, it gets hot as fvck here in the summer. By end of July we'll easily be in the upper 90's with high humidity...and then 6 months later it'll be 100 degrees colder.
In all seriousness, I'll never sell my s2k, but if you'd like any help finding a clean one, advice on one, etc, just holler, I'll be glad to help. Hope you don't mind traveling to pick one up though.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #59
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
I put a pork loin in a red wine vinegar, salt, molasses, fresh herb brine last night. Plan to slap it on the grill with some apple wood this eve. I'll post pics if I remember to get the camera out.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #60
SamDoe1

Quote:
In all seriousness, I'll never sell my s2k, but if you'd like any help finding a clean one, advice on one, etc, just holler, I'll be glad to help. Hope you don't mind traveling to pick one up though.
I'll PM you, I do need some advice on what to look for and such. I do plan on and actually would like to travel to get one. There are a lot of people here in MN that will daily their S2k through the winter and as such there are a lot of rusty ones around here. Also, the azn crowd here is pretty saturated so there are a lot of riced out ones too.

Back to grilling, I plan on making some Tandoori salmon and bacon wrapped steaks this week. I'll post up pics and recipes when I get to that point.