Suggestions on where to allocate emergency savings fund? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Suggestions on where to allocate emergency savings fund?

So I've have had my emergency fund socked away for years in my credit union savings account and haven't touched it. The APY is a measly 0.05%. I'm looking to maximize the APY and have some return on investment without forgoing the ability to liquidate emergency savings if I need it in a pinch.

Are high interest online savings accounts the way to go?

Other suggestions?

Should I just stick with what I have?
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: pisses off liberals
I'm sure Wrasil will chime in with some knowledge but this is my take:

Emergency fund is for emergencies. Not investing, not bouncing around, emergencies. It's also 100% liquid so I can get to it if I need to. Cash money in the safe.

I'm sure someone will say I'm stupid for not turning that $$ into more $$ but this is how I chose to do things. Everything is separate. Investments, oh sh!t money, living expenses, etc.

Personally, I leave mine alone unless I need it. Even if a bank next door offers me an extra 0.015% interest it stays put. Having an emergency fund is friggin awesome, especially when your furnace goes out on New Year's Day and it's a balmy 45 degrees inside your house. Turns what to some would be a major catastrophe into a minor inconvenience. Ymmv.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
Foxtrot_Uniform

My Ride: 325Xi
I would think it depends on how much you want in your emergency fund. I'd keep it as cash at home or the way you are now. If you have excess... Invest that but leave your emergency fund alone.

I keep some cash at home but have the rest of the fund in a local bank for easy access if needed.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
The simple answer is that your emergency savings isn't there to grow, it's there to protect your financial interests in the event of an emergency. For that reason, the overriding concerns with emergency savings are ensuring it is adequate and available, not growth. With current interest rates you aren't likely to see any growth in a safe and accessible account.

IF you have additional capital, and sufficient discipline, and expertise, THEN it is possible to mix the savings with other capital and take additional risk for the prospect of growth, but that isn't the case for most people. Even in those cases, some of the emergency savings should be kept in immediately available accounts such as savings/checking accounts. So, the general rule of thumb is "screw growth" and just keep that emergency savings available and protected from loss.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
I have mine in boring stuff like municipal bonds. Safe, accessible enough if needed, and you get a little bit of growth compared to a savings account.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
I would stay away from anything that locks them up (ie, CD's) but there are a bunch of online savings accounts that have decent rates. Ally Bank comes to mind.

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

ss
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote