Bernie Sanders 2016 - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #41
bagher
Account closed.
 
bagher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,917
Send a message via AIM to bagher
you should tell us about your immigrant parents coming to america more, I don't think we remember.
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #42
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
you should tell us about your immigrant parents coming to america more, I don't think we remember.
No thanks. I left socialism, I don't have an interest in seeing it again, but please, go ahead and post a few more pics of Indian construction workers to bolster your point.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #43
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 12,055
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You're posting the end result for a "rich" person and a couple of indian construction workers. I came to this country poor, I looked up to the rich, and did whatever I could to be one of them. I still haven't achieved that status as depicted in your photo, but Im still trying and am doing ok. A country needs to take care of those that make it great and try to get as many people possible up there, not vice versa. Sander's policies in essence vilify the hardworking and successful, harm small business, and hurt the average worker...all to help the poor and the lazy. I'll take a selfish Don over the typical bleeding heart socialist any day of the week.
The tough thing with your argument is that you appear to paint all poor people as lazy. Poor people are poor for just as many reasons as rich people are rich.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #44
BraveUlysses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 17
My Ride: 2003 330i
I thought you said you left the former USSR? Also, you came here with nothing but your dad is a doctor?
BraveUlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #45
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
The tough thing with your argument is that you appear to paint all poor people as lazy. Poor people are poor for just as many reasons as rich people are rich.
With all due respect, I don't buy into that logic, not here, not in the US. While there are indeed SOME poor people that fell on hard times, in MY PERSONAL OPINION I believe a majority are simply lazy, because it's easier to just sit at home and collect government benefits than it is to work a sh!tty job. The REAL poor have always gotten taken care of, by the local churches and communities, but sadly, the lazy moochers steal the money from those that really need it. Regardless, the poor get plenty of help in this country. Free housing, food, schooling, medical care, etc...but I don't look up to them, nor do I feel someone should run a campaign based on helping the poor and disenfranchised. I want my leader to bring everyone up, to make people admire and value success, admire and value education, have the balls to call out social nonsense and hypocrisy, and to give the people their cough medicine rather than a caramel apple. I know I am one of very few people here that feels this way, and that's ok.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #46
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveUlysses View Post
I thought you said you left the former USSR? Also, you came here with nothing but your dad is a doctor?
Huh? Yes my family came here from the former soviet union. My father is a doctor, and my mother is a lawyer. We came here no with no money, no language, and no contacts. My dad got a little help finding our first apartment and his first job from a local rabbi, and that was the only help my family has ever gotten. My parents worked two jobs each to make sure I never set foot in a public school (and I never did) because our zoned school was a sh!thole. If a bunch of freshly imported immigrants were able to make it, what's everyone else's excuse? Again, none of that matters. When we came here, we admired the guy with the ferrari and the big house, not the guy on government cheese.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #47
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 12,055
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
With all due respect, I don't buy into that logic, not here, not in the US. While there are indeed SOME poor people that fell on hard times, in MY PERSONAL OPINION I believe a majority are simply lazy, because it's easier to just sit at home and collect government benefits than it is to work a sh!tty job. The REAL poor have always gotten taken care of, by the local churches and communities, but sadly, the lazy moochers steal the money from those that really need it. Regardless, the poor get plenty of help in this country. Free housing, food, schooling, medical care, etc...but I don't look up to them, nor do I feel someone should run a campaign based on helping the poor and disenfranchised. I want my leader to bring everyone up, to make people admire and value success, admire and value education, have the balls to call out social nonsense and hypocrisy, and to give the people their cough medicine rather than a caramel apple. I know I am one of very few people here that feels this way, and that's ok.
Run a bankruptcy practice for a few years. It's a real eye-opener.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #48
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 12,055
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Huh? Yes my family came here from the former soviet union. My father is a doctor, and my mother is a lawyer. We came here no with no money, no language, and no contacts. My dad got a little help finding our first apartment and his first job from a local rabbi, and that was the only help my family has ever gotten. My parents worked two jobs each to make sure I never set foot in a public school (and I never did) because our zoned school was a sh!thole. If a bunch of freshly imported immigrants were able to make it, what's everyone else's excuse? Again, none of that matters. When we came here, we admired the guy with the ferrari and the big house, not the guy on government cheese.
Was your dad a doctor and your mom a lawyer before they came here, or did they obtain their schooling in the US?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #49
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Run a bankruptcy practice for a few years. It's a real eye-opener.
My BIL filed for bankruptcy...mostly because of bad personal decisions, but nevertheless, sad. Generally speaking, most of those people dust themselves off, live frugally, and try and claw their way back up. Its doubly sad when there are kids, kids that no longer have their big house and now have to live in a tiny apartment, etc...I agree with you, it's sad. I also agree that it sucks when a family is screwed by medical bills. My best friend's wife was diagnosed with postpartum cardiomyopathy, and she needed heart surgery for an LVAD...medical bills are through the roof. It's hard, they reach out and hope people donate whatever they can....but you cannot run a country based on the poor. You guys have the same argument, that you can't run a country like a business (although most things are basically identical to a business...not spending more than you have, hiring qualified individuals, etc) so it works the other way as well. We can't have a country running on sob stories, they need to be the outliers, not the norm. Just my opinion.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #50
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Was your dad a doctor and your mom a lawyer before they came here, or did they obtain their schooling in the US?
They were doctor/lawyer back in the USSR, but after 1989, the US no longer honored degrees from other nations, so they both had to take all of the exams all over again (dad) and mom had to go to law school and take the bar (understandably so.)
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #51
BraveUlysses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 17
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Huh? Yes my family came here from the former soviet union. My father is a doctor, and my mother is a lawyer. We came here no with no money, no language, and no contacts. My dad got a little help finding our first apartment and his first job from a local rabbi, and that was the only help my family has ever gotten. My parents worked two jobs each to make sure I never set foot in a public school (and I never did) because our zoned school was a sh!thole. If a bunch of freshly imported immigrants were able to make it, what's everyone else's excuse? Again, none of that matters. When we came here, we admired the guy with the ferrari and the big house, not the guy on government cheese.
Well, I asked because you still don't seem to understand the distinction between socialism and communism.

You attribute your own family's success to hard work and minimize others due to a lack of it but you should realize how enormously lucky you are to have to be to have two married parents, a doctor and a lawyer, and that they earned enough that you didn't ever have to go to public school, all while living in the most expensive city in the US.
BraveUlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #52
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pingpong, NK
Posts: 631
My Ride: A car
Had nothing yet never attended a public school. Something seems amiss.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #53
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 12,055
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
My BIL filed for bankruptcy...mostly because of bad personal decisions, but nevertheless, sad. Generally speaking, most of those people dust themselves off, live frugally, and try and claw their way back up. Its doubly sad when there are kids, kids that no longer have their big house and now have to live in a tiny apartment, etc...I agree with you, it's sad. I also agree that it sucks when a family is screwed by medical bills. My best friend's wife was diagnosed with postpartum cardiomyopathy, and she needed heart surgery for an LVAD...medical bills are through the roof. It's hard, they reach out and hope people donate whatever they can....but you cannot run a country based on the poor. You guys have the same argument, that you can't run a country like a business (although most things are basically identical to a business...not spending more than you have, hiring qualified individuals, etc) so it works the other way as well. We can't have a country running on sob stories, they need to be the outliers, not the norm. Just my opinion.
Who do you mean when you say "you guys"?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #54
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Who do you mean when you say "you guys"?
The peeps in Politalk that regularly say that you can't run a country like a business.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #55
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Had nothing yet never attended a public school. Something seems amiss.
Yup, parents worked two jobs each just so that they could afford the $13000 a year tuition (high school). I honestly don't remember what elementary costs, probably less, around 8K I want to say. The USSR allowed $90 per family to be taken with them, this would ensure you are leaving everything behind and that you'd come back. They also didn't allow the entire family to leave at the same time, for the same reason, so my dad left first, and my mom and I left a year later.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #56
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 12,055
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
They were doctor/lawyer back in the USSR, but after 1989, the US no longer honored degrees from other nations, so they both had to take all of the exams all over again (dad) and mom had to go to law school and take the bar (understandably so.)
How long did it take your dad to complete his exams? Did your mom have to do a full three years of US law school?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #57
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pingpong, NK
Posts: 631
My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Yup, parents worked two jobs each just so that they could afford the $13000 a year tuition (high school). I honestly don't remember what elementary costs, probably less, around 8K I want to say. The USSR allowed $90 per family to be taken with them, this would ensure you are leaving everything behind and that you'd come back. They also didn't allow the entire family to leave at the same time, for the same reason, so my dad left first, and my mom and I left a year later.
When was this? 13k when you were in school was probably a very significant amount. Even in today's dollars 13k is very significant to many people. They simply don't have 13k.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #58
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveUlysses View Post
Well, I asked because you still don't seem to understand the distinction between socialism and communism.

You attribute your own family's success to hard work and minimize others due to a lack of it but you should realize how enormously lucky you are to have to be to have two married parents, a doctor and a lawyer, and that they earned enough that you didn't ever have to go to public school, all while living in the most expensive city in the US.
if someone is a single parent, who is to blame (generally speaking?) Having a married set of parents isn't an accomplishment either, it's the norm where I come from. Divorce is simply too easy in this country, like changing socks. All of this is irrelevant. What is relevant, is the notion that we should advocate candidates that want to help the poor and the disenfranchised (by hurting the hardworking) and we now treat them as victims, and the rich, business owners, and the middle class as some sort of criminals.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #59
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
When was this? 13k when you were in school was probably a very significant amount. Even in today's dollars 13k is very significant to many people. They simply don't have 13k.
Mid 90s, and it was indeed a significant amount for them. So what? My wife is an attorney. Her brother is a licensed but non practicing attorney. Her mother owns a salon. Father is a chef. Their story is the same as mine (immigrants.) They went to public school. They grew up poor like most immigrants do, but they had to make due with the public school system (bayridge bk). With good parenting a child will get a good education anywhere they go. There is no need to rehash the poor decisions made by most of the american poor. Popping out babies when they have no business doing so. Getting pregnant when you're single. Im not even talking about the inner city, those trailer parks aren't St Tropez either. Billy bob and mary sue having 16 kids isn't doing this country any favors...but we can't pass judgement on anyone...oh no...that would be bad form. This isn't Zimbabwe or India...you can't just chalk up the poor problem to "just because."
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #60
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
How long did it take your dad to complete his exams? Did your mom have to do a full three years of US law school?
It took my father many years until he was able to not only find residency, but also to get his english up to snuff. As for my mother, she was able to do an LLM program at Fordham University.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.