Spannerhead's 2002 Orient Blue 330i/5 Slicktop - Page 9 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #161
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
Car is looking great Spannerhead. ZHP knob give it a nice touch!
Thanks! I enjoy my knob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Totally get it. When you're ready, PM me. I won't sell you my kit but I'll show you some sub $200 kits like the one I put in my moms car keep up with the good work
Thanks man. Will PM you when I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #162
Spannerhead

Some updates!

So the P0491/P0492 saga is over---permanently. Rather than shell out $150+ for a factory SAP, I sent my car's DME to Kassel Performance in York, PA, and had them flash it with the EU2 + SAP Delete tune, which causes the DME to ignore the presence of the SAP. They also added the Performance Tune, which they claim nets an additional 15 hp/torque:

Got it reinstalled a couple of weeks ago and it passed emissions first try.

It also allowed me to simplify the engine bay a little. Notice what's missing?

It's clean but I really need to apply some 303 to the black plastic... It's on the to-do list.

In other news, my dad came into town on Saturday and retrieved our mutual project car from the garage, so the E46 has SO much more room now:

Can open all doors easily and work on all sides of the car without a squeeze, something that wasn't possible before.

And here's a gratuitous post coin-op car wash shot:

Old 07-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #163
tej98

My Ride: E46
Year: 2000
Model: 323Ci
Transmission: Manual
Awesome looking car! Got any mods planned for the future?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Old 07-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #164
Spannerhead

Other than maintenance, I'd like to get Xenons for sure, a Euro tray in the cabin and maaaaaybe angel eyes and clears all around. Not completely sure about the last two. It'd be nice to have a 6-speed and an LSD also, I guess.

Oh, and thanks!

Last edited by Spannerhead; 07-23-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #165
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci / 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Could not live without my xenons and Euro tray. A worthy addition. Angel eyes was a tough call for me with months of deliberation but Iím glad I did it.

Your car is looking great. How does that tune feel?

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

instagram | progress thread | drive tastefully
bendoscopy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #166
Spannerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
Could not live without my xenons and Euro tray. A worthy addition. Angel eyes was a tough call for me with months of deliberation but Iím glad I did it.
Your car probably came with both. I've no idea why the original owner didn't check the "Xenon" box on the order form---he/she got everything else right (manual, ZSP, slicktop, H/K, heated seats but no ZPP, etc).

Quote:
Your car is looking great. How does that tune feel?
Thanks very much! It feels great. Car runs perfectly in all regimes. I'm wary of butt dyno claims but it certainly pulls harder than it ever has. Very strong esp. in the midrange, 3-4K rpm.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #167
MBCO

My Ride: AW|NB 330i
I'm intrigued by the dme tune.

So you know the details of the other mapping they did?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
MBCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:44 PM   #168
Spannerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBCO View Post
I'm intrigued by the dme tune.

So you know the details of the other mapping they did?
I don't know the specific details of the performance tune. Come to think of it, I'll ask. Stay tuned (pun intended).
Old 07-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #169
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
I may have some factory Xenon assemblies and LCM for you...
Old 07-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #170
Spannerhead

Quote:
I may have some factory Xenon assemblies and LCM for you...
...I'm listening.

If they're plug-and-play, I'd be interested.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:07 AM   #171
YoitsTmac

PM me? I think they could be.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #172
lllRazorlll

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
...I'm listening.

If they're plug-and-play, I'd be interested.
They are plug and play.

FYI 2001+ coupes and 2002+ sedans got the larger 3" bi-xenon projectors. The highbeam reflector bowls are also slightly different so if your attention to detail senses something weird that's what's going on.

You might also need the appropriate xenon LCM and to program the car. Changing the LCM also triggers the tamper dot and there is a way to fix that.

lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #173
Spannerhead

Replaced this bugger on Saturday:

Heater control valve. Located on the driver's strut tower under the MAF sensor. Super easy to replace; 15 minutes in an out. They say to drain the coolant, but I just did a quick switcheroo with a catch pan under the work area. Topped off the expansion tank and good to go.

Replacement seems to have solved an issue I'd been having where I would engage the A/C, but the heater would come on as well, so the air coming out of the vents would be dry but warm. Only seemed to happen after I had started and stopped the car a few times (like when running errands). Also, the heat would go uncommanded to full hot when I only had it set to 68-70 degrees from time to time. Will let you know how it goes.

Car still runs like a champ. Needs shocks and VANOS seals next (along with headlight lenses).
Old 10-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #174
leonidas

My Ride: Bmw 330i
I like your attitude. No unnecessary mods, no fancy wheels, but first class care
Old 10-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #175
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci / 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I like your attitude. No unnecessary mods, no fancy wheels, but first class care

+1. A rule I try to live by. This is one of my favourite threads.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics mobile app

instagram | progress thread | drive tastefully
bendoscopy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #176
Spannerhead

Well my first window regulator went out Friday night. Driver's door. Window stopped and disconnected itself from the action of the motor.

Did this fix:

http://www.skene.org/bmw/window/index.html

(with a few changes from the instructions)

and everything works fine now. Better than before, actually, since the plastic sliders are firmly secured to the cable. Pretty easy; took me about 1.5 hours and I was going slowly. The biggest challenge was reattaching the window to the sliders, since the access slots in the track are so small for the socket. I had to do the ol' grease-on-the-end-of-the-socket-so-the-bolt-stays-put trick. And I didn't realize at first that the nuts are positioned "backwards" with the flange on the outside of the plastic cradle instead of against it.

Still, a pretty easy DIY. Only things I broke were the two plastic cover clips on the bottom of the armrest. Now that I know how, it makes me want to do the other regulators preventatively!

I am simultaneously frustrated that BMW designed such a crappy regulator, and grateful for A) the fact that they made it easy to remove and B) the E46 community that created the DIY.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #177
Spannerhead

My driver's front strut died in a puddle of oil on the garage floor, so it was time for some new parts:

Put them all on today. Started around noon; finished around 5 PM. Not too hard. Air tools FTW. Used my set of widowmaker spring compressors.

Put the reinforcement plates under the front strut tower sheet metal for good measure. I had to saw the alignment stud off the passenger side strut bearing to make sure the new parts matched the old.

Also once I removed the pinch bolts on the hubs, the hubs just dropped out. No struggle whatsoever. I love rust-free southern cars.

She's dead Jim:

The bad strut.

Got everything buttoned up and it certainly feels more...controlled? Not a drastic difference; I replaced like-for-like parts and I don't think the other 3 shocks were in as terrible shape as the driver's front. I do feel more road texture, though, which I like. Glad to have it done at least.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:46 AM   #178
YoitsTmac

Sorry about the surprise your car gave you, although you did a thorough replacement! I have to ask, how much did you pay for your reinforcement plates? They were under $15/ea for the longest time. I was holding out until I needed more things for free shipping, and last I checked they were over $30. Happy to see updates!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #179
Spannerhead

Quote:
Sorry about the surprise your car gave you, although you did a thorough replacement! I have to ask, how much did you pay for your reinforcement plates? They were under $15/ea for the longest time. I was holding out until I needed more things for free shipping, and last I checked they were over $30. Happy to see updates!
Thanks Tyler! Yeah she just keeps trucking along. Runs perfectly as ever at 175K... I guess I ended up with one of the good ones?

The reinforcement plates were around $35 ea. Expensive I know, for what amounts to a piece of laser-cut, stamped 14ga sheet metal. Maybe they lost a supplier? I shopped around a little but ended up ordering everything from FCP. I didn't get their refresh kit b/c they included a bunch of stuff like washers and spring hats that I didn't think needed to be replaced. Anything with rubber involved got replaced though (bump stops, dust boots, strut mounts, etc etc).

I just realized last night that for the price I paid for the stock Sachs shocks, I could have gotten Bilsteins or Koni Oranges. I guess I could have done more research to determine if either of those would have been a good choice. My old E34 540i had Koni Yellows (the adjustable ones) that I LOVED---made the big muscle car of a sedan feel like it was on rails in the corners. Oh well. Maybe next time.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:28 AM   #180
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Thanks Tyler! Yeah she just keeps trucking along. Runs perfectly as ever at 175K... I guess I ended up with one of the good ones?

The reinforcement plates were around $35 ea. Expensive I know, for what amounts to a piece of laser-cut, stamped 14ga sheet metal. Maybe they lost a supplier? I shopped around a little but ended up ordering everything from FCP. I didn't get their refresh kit b/c they included a bunch of stuff like washers and spring hats that I didn't think needed to be replaced. Anything with rubber involved got replaced though (bump stops, dust boots, strut mounts, etc etc).

I just realized last night that for the price I paid for the stock Sachs shocks, I could have gotten Bilsteins or Koni Oranges. I guess I could have done more research to determine if either of those would have been a good choice. My old E34 540i had Koni Yellows (the adjustable ones) that I LOVED---made the big muscle car of a sedan feel like it was on rails in the corners. Oh well. Maybe next time.
Hey, I'm sure you'll enjoy your setup! There's "well I could have" or "what if" for everything in life. As someone who's now on path to do 15k a year (more than double I've ever done!), I'm happy to hear your car is running well at 175k! I can't believe you're up there.