2001 325ci 5-speed [maintenance thread] - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #81
01_325ci

My Ride: Manual 01 325CI
Replaced the PS pump w/ a genuine one (LUK LF-20) same that was in the car + fresh Dexron ATF fluid. I read some people upgrading to LF-30/CHF 11S fluid resulting in lighter steering. So I preferred to stick with my old/sport steering feel.
It actually feels even better than before, like 10% heavier.

Replaced the reservoir as it has a one way filter inside and the hoses that go along w/ it. There's also an o-ring that goes in the pump high-pressure line and its replacement is a must because the old one was extruded (PN 64508390601).

Also replaced the AC tensioner and the exhaust bottom gaskets to genuine ones as I was having a leak there.

Next project is vanos rebuilt lv3 w/ new bearings and 330ci front calipers/lines w/ sport-tech slotted rotors.

Last edited by 01_325ci; 03-13-2019 at 06:01 PM.
01_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #82
01_325ci

Updating what was done last weekend
-front brake flex lines
-330i front calipers and carriers
-330i front sport rotors (slotted) and pads
-rear brake carriers sand-blasted + new slide pin boots
-brake flush
-vanos rattle repair (stage 3b) w new ring bearings along w renewed teflon seals and valve cover gasket
-INA OE idlers

I forgot to picture everything but here's a few;

Old 03-14-2019, 05:45 AM   #83
Antti

My Ride: 330CI / 316 1.8i
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI M-Sport II
Transmission: Automatic
Good work there, maybe stupid question why you did not remove electric fan when removing vanos unit?
How difficult it was to test that vanos piston tolerance/movement after installing anti rattle kit? Was the fitment perfect..?

Last edited by Antti; 03-14-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #84
01_325ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti View Post
Good work there, maybe stupid question why you did not remove electric fan when removing vanos unit?
How difficult it was to test that vanos piston tolerance/movement after installing anti rattle kit? Was the fitment perfect..?
I did remove it afterwards, you have to. Follow the instructions at besiansystems website, you need a vise ($19 at homedepot) and also some kind of rubber to not damage the piston and a impact gun, I used my small dewalt xr 20v.

The process isn't hard at all just time consuming. After you install the new ring and bearings bolt just the piston back at the cam and check how freely it spins, it should have some resistance and theres no torque specs. I impacted 3x on gun's lv2 speed and the exhaust piston was spinning too freely compared to the intake that had resistance and was tight. So I impacted it two more times and both were very similar, tight w resistance. If you shake the piston you can't hear the washers gap as the old ones had.

And make sure that the ring goes all way down touching the bottom washer, it was tight fitting it there. Shouldn't have axial play and if there's too much resistance to spin just loose it a little, you shouldn't have to machine or sand it at least in my experience.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #85
impurejelly

As a newly minted 325ci owner, this has been a great thread! Upgraded brakes, do tell! Something I have been considering.
impurejelly is offline   Reply With Quote