Topaz Blue 320Ci Sport (M54B22). Maintenance/mods. - Page 12 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #221
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti View Post
Sounds like weak battery.
You can always first try to recharge your battery with CTEK charger.
Or just replace battery. You can fit 100A battery there. Lot of juice for start. I have 100A Duracell in my sedan E46.
Okay cool. Will look into 100A batteries.

Current battery came from the previous owner and has run flat a few times when I needed a new alternator. Have done overnight charges with my CTEK but maybe it's had enough.

Cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
| drive tastefully
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #222
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
How's the car holding up now?
|
|

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #223
bendoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
How's the car holding up now?

Itís great thanks, man! Charged the battery, put some new Continentals on and itís running great again.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

|
|
| drive tastefully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #224
YoitsTmac

that's awesome! Happy to hear man
|
|

Old 04-04-2019, 03:10 AM   #225
bendoscopy

It's been a few months since I've updated, but plenty to report back on.

I bought Brembo pads and discs front and rear in anticipation for my MOT (British annual safety inspection). Got all the way down to the discs and had to abandon the job due to them being seized to the hubs. Tried a bunch of approaches using various liquids and hammers, with little luck. Actually turned out I had a lot of life left in my pads anyway, and the discs didn't fail the MOT. So I'll re-attempt another time.

However, I was told I had a snapped rear spring and a blown rear shock. The garage quoted me £700+ for both rear springs and shocks to be replaced. I found this equally hilarious and upsetting. So I did what any sane E46 owner would do, and ordered OEM parts myself (springs, shocks, bump stops, mounts, etc). Total cost was sub £200.

Was actually very surprised how easy the DIY was. Had the shocks out in no time at all, and used a regular scissor jack to prize out the springs. Had the car back on the ground within a couple of hours.

Also failed on the registration bulbs being 'out'. I knew they were working so couldn't quite see how that was a failure. It was only when I opened and closed the boot lid that I could see the bulbs were flickering. Thinking back to an old Shoplife TV video I saw, I was pretty certain it was a snagged cable in the loom that feeds into the boot lid. Sadly I had to cut the rubber trunking open, but I was relieved to see a snapped brown cable. Repaired this too.

I actually had the car off the road for about four weeks. Because my house is an old pre-1800s cottage with no driveway, I work on my car in a residential parking area with very soft ground. So I had to wait for good, dry weather to jack the car up. During this time I was driving my wife's Audi A3, which is an auto. It's really grown on me. Incredibly smooth ride, but the lag is awful, even in Sport mode.

On retesting the car at the garage, it failed AGAIN. This time on a check engine light. I was incredibly dubious, as I've seen that light maybe once in the last two years. I asked the mechanic to pull the codes and there were misfires on cylinders 3 and 6. He cleared them and they didn't come back. I can only assume that having the car sitting for four weeks mostly undriven could have been the cause of this. The mechanic suggested I look at changing the coils. Not a bad idea as these are still original from factory.

Anyhow, a lot of words and no pictures. Car is driving great. Looking forward to some better weather so I can have another go at replacing the brakes and take some new pics.

Hope y'all good.

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 04-04-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:22 AM   #226
Antti

My Ride: 330CI / 316 1.8i
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI M-Sport II
Transmission: Automatic
Good work, as you said read suspension is easy DIY.
Dont buy ignition coils, i am sure there is no problem. Maybe you have vacuum leak which is causing misfires.
Just drive now and see how it works.

BMW E46 316 1.8i Sport 2005 Mysticblau metallic /Showroom

Renault Clio RS197 2007 Ultra Red
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:59 AM   #227
bendoscopy

Getting more and more of those misfires on various cylinders. Did a 60 mile drive yesterday in mild 20įC weather. Check engine light came on when stopped in traffic.

Have read various other threads with a similar pattern; check engine light occurs after a long drive and whilst moving at low speeds.

Stopped the engine and pulled the codes. Fuel cutoff on cylinders 5 and 6. Restarted the engine and drove another 150 miles with no issues.

Any suggestions? Previous threads suggest:
ó Coils
ó Camshaft position sensor
ó Check for vacuum leaks

I also have a thermostat error and have had that for a couple of years. I have the new thermostat but haven't fitted it yet. Perhaps the engine isn't getting up to temp and my plugs are blackened. Last time I had a irremovable misfire it was the plug in cylinder one which was completely black. Replacing it fixed the issue.

Feedback welcome. Not sure where to start!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using E46Fanatics mobile app

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 04-21-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:41 AM   #228
Antti

Start from fuel trim readings. Check long term trims (LTFT1 & LTFT2 ).
Torque pro app for android works fine, and you will need also obd2 bluetooth module, you can buy one from ebay or aliexpress under 10£.

I recommend you diagnose what is the problem first, dont throw money for parts.
If you are interested how fuel trims works, watch this:

Last edited by Antti; 04-22-2019 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #229
bendoscopy

Used some C4 on my mirror plastic. Hopefully it lasts. Rest of the car needs a strong clean.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190512_161023-600x800-600x800.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	775103Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190512_161132-600x800.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	775105Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190512_162251-600x800.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	775107

|
|
| drive tastefully
Old 06-03-2019, 03:09 AM   #230
bendoscopy

So I decided to upgrade my dashcam and add a rear facing one too. Again, hardwired. Ended up with a very neat setup but got my fuses mixed up at some point.

Couldn't remember which tutorial I used before but then remembered I'd documented the entire install on this thread.

Maintenance threads save lives.

|
|
| drive tastefully
Old 06-03-2019, 03:10 AM   #231
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
So I decided to upgrade my dashcam and add a rear facing one too. Again, hardwired. Ended up with a very neat setup but got my fuses mixed up at some point.

Couldn't remember which tutorial I used before but then remembered I'd documented the entire install on this thread.

Maintenance threads save lives.

What diy did you use to add a fuse? What dash cam are you using?
|
|

Old 06-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #232
bendoscopy

Quote:
What diy did you use to add a fuse? What dash cam are you using?

I got the Apeman C550A. Canít find the original tutorial, but Iím running it on accessory power in fuse 26, which is the garage door opener.

Iíd have like to have wired it to the actual GDO plug in the headliner, but we didnít get those over here.

Tapped the ground wire in to the glovebox light.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics mobile app

|
|
| drive tastefully
Old 06-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #233
bendoscopy

Got some classic E46 maintenance just around the corner. In the mail right now:
ó Bosch fuel pump
ó Fuel pump gasket
ó Shell Helix Ultra 5w40
ó Bosch spark plugs

Also got a thermostat kicking around that I need to fit. Have been putting that off for a while now. Mostly because I remember the air bleeding being not much fun.

Also also, managed to find a new front bumper in topaz blue. The idea was to replace mine as the clear coat is in a bad way. But this replacement one has a nasty scratch. I could try to sand and paint.

Also also also, found a genuine boot lip spoiler for £10. Need to find some good 3M tape for that.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

|
|
| drive tastefully
Old 06-08-2019, 04:35 AM   #234
Antti

E46 M54 engine coolant bleeding is quite easy.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:36 AM   #235
bendoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti View Post
E46 M54 engine coolant bleeding is quite easy.

Yeah Iíve done it before, itís just not fun.

|
|
| drive tastefully
Old 06-08-2019, 05:06 AM   #236
Antti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
Yeah Iíve done it before, itís just not fun.

Yep i know what you mean, it is easy but sometimes exciting that everything goes fine.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #237
bendoscopy

Fuel pump, sparks and oil change today.

Used Bosch parts and Shell Helix Ultra oil.

Car had been running a little rough lately. Very gentle misfires when at idle. Jerky acceleration. Old plugs were pretty blackened. Last changed maybe 18 months ago. Since that time, I've switched to a catch can. So I'm hoping these plugs have an easier ride.

Fuel pump... it was definitely time. There was a glue blob on top that told me it had never been changed, plus it had the factory hose clamp.

I also replaced all of the torx screws along my air distribution piece, which had previously jammed or rounded off. Those things are so soft.

Today was the first time I worked on my car and nothing broke, snapped, got lost or went wrong. Something was on my side.

Still to do; thermostat, and throw on a new front bumper. Clear coat is in a bad way!

Click image for larger version

Name:	00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190615122727507_COVER-600x800.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	777483Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_132152-600x800.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	777485Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_171327-600x800.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	777487

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 06-15-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #238
YoitsTmac

Love those wheels!
|
|

Old 06-16-2019, 02:34 AM   #239
bendoscopy

Quote:
Love those wheels!
Thanks, man. They were a bit of a gamble as they were from a 1 Series. But I'm really happy with how they look.

|
|
| drive tastefully
Old 09-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #240
bendoscopy

Hi guys. Long time, no update.

Let's get straight to it. I nearly sold my E46. I'd been looking for something new for a few weeks. Z4, 350Z or E92. When it came the the crunch, I couldn't do it.

I had some great drives in my 320Ci lately, and every time I looked at something newer, I didn't get that feeling that the E46 has given me.

Plus, I had to consider the knowledge and learning that I've picked up over the last couple of years. I'm getting to know the platform and the M54 really well, and I was keen to continue that. Of course, the older Z4 used the M54 but ultimately that would be an impractical daily driver, for me at least.

So I bought a 330. Coupe, topaz blue, manual, 110k miles, local to me. Great price too, at £1,800.

It needs a little love (window motors, pillar fabric, loose gear stick), but nothing I'm not already used to. It comes with a Powerflow cat-back exhaust system, which sounds great.

The plan is to transplant some of the work I've done with my 320 into the 330. That's things like the xenons, head unit, speakers, tail lights, CD changer delete, and so on. In fact, both window motors are screwed and the wing mirrors are entirely faded, so it may be easier just to swap the doors and then change the door cards.

So that's it. I think I made the right call. I'm staying with the E46, I've got some fun projects ahead of me, and I saved a bit of money in the process.

I'll most likely start up a new thread to document "the swap" and any future maintenance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 09-07-2019 at 09:26 AM.