Topaz Blue 320Ci Sport (M54B22). Maintenance/mods. - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2017, 01:23 AM   #61
bendoscopy

My Ride: Coupe Sport (M54B22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
I love your style with DSLR (photographer to photographer - I can tell which is which ). Do you mainly play with curves or split toning? I'm guessing curves....

My website is: http://tmacphoto.co/Auto/index.html

My email is on that website somewhere if you want to talk nerdy photo stuff

Sometimes a bit of both, and sometimes none at all. I like to bring the black point up in curves Ė crush out the blacks a little.

Split toning, I like to add a warm tone to the highlights and some blue to the shadows. Love the effect it gives, even if subtle.

You can see some of my work at www.benhorsley.co or www.instagram.com/benhorsley.co for everyday stuff.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:31 AM   #62
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
Thanks man! Turns out I already follow you on twitter. I too do the warm blue split toning. I keep my highlights around ~50 and ~210 for my shadows

Great build. I'm waiting for this B30 swap!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #63
bendoscopy

Fitted a dashcam

Used two add-a-fuse adapters Ė one for constant power and one for acc. Took me a while to figure out why the cam needed both, but it seems that when the acc power supply is interrupted, it switches the cam into low-voltage mode, which means the g-sensor will enable recording when tripped.

I piggybacked the cigarette lighter fuse for constant power and the garage door opener fuse for acc. I could have wired the entire cam into the overhead wiring, but I wanted to connect the video out cable to my head unit, so figured I may as well run everything down that way.

Works great Ė I can flip my head unit to video mode to access the feed. Otherwise it just sits there nonchalantly behind the rear view mirror recording. Tapped into the ground wire in the glove box light.

Hope I never have to use it. ***129310;***127996;

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #64
fordy_4

My Ride: 00' 330ci, 97' R33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
Fitted a dashcam

Used two add-a-fuse adapters Ė one for constant power and one for acc. Took me a while to figure out why the cam needed both, but it seems that when the acc power supply is interrupted, it switches the cam into low-voltage mode, which means the g-sensor will enable recording when tripped.

I piggybacked the cigarette lighter fuse for constant power and the garage door opener fuse for acc. I could have wired the entire cam into the overhead wiring, but I wanted to connect the video out cable to my head unit, so figured I may as well run everything down that way.

Works great Ė I can flip my head unit to video mode to access the feed. Otherwise it just sits there nonchalantly behind the rear view mirror recording. Tapped into the ground wire in the glove box light.

Hope I never have to use it. ***129310;***127996;

Would u mind taking a snap of the fuse layout? I've got a dash cam ready for install

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Fern Green Division

16:9 On-Board Monitor | Rear PDC | Xenons | ZSP | Sunroof | Golf tee mod | Michelin PS4 | Stage 1 ECU reflash
fordy_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #65
bendoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy_4 View Post
Would u mind taking a snap of the fuse layout? I've got a dash cam ready for install

Yes sir, will dive in and send you one tomorrow!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #66
bendoscopy

Got down and dirty with the fuel filter.

The fuel lines were a real pain to slide off. It was hard to get good leverage on them, especially with the lack of space under the coupe (sport suspension).

Black gunk came dripping out the old filter, so the change was obviously well overdue.

Also took the opportunity to reconnect my vacuum line. The rubber had completely perished at both the filter end and the F connector end.

Went out for a quick drive, which started out quite lumpy, but after a mile or two the car felt very... happy?

Used this handy little DIY: http://www.impee.co.uk/fuel_filter_change.htm
Old 08-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #67
bendoscopy

Quick smartphone shot from today. I know what youíre thinking. Iím thinking it too. Spacers.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #68
YoitsTmac

orrrrrrr new wheels? VMR's are looking at me too don't worry
Old 08-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #69
bendoscopy

Quote:
orrrrrrr new wheels? VMR's are looking at me too don't worry

Iíve got some Style 44ís that Iím nearly done refurbing.

The guy I bought them from painted them dark grey, so Iíve got some work to do!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #70
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Iíve got some Style 44ís that Iím nearly done refurbing.

The guy I bought them from painted them dark grey, so Iíve got some work to do!
ah bummer. Well, seeing is believing. Excited for when they go on! Then we can talk spacers
Old 08-14-2017, 03:01 AM   #71
bendoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy_4 View Post

Here it is.

The top-right piggyback fuse is the garage door opener, which gives acc power.

The bottom-left piggyback is the cigarette lighter, which is constant power.

I connected the ground to the glovebox light. Thereís a connector just before the bulb, so I fed the wire into that, which actually ended up being pretty snug.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #72
fordy_4

My Ride: 00' 330ci, 97' R33
Much appreciated!

Fern Green Division

16:9 On-Board Monitor | Rear PDC | Xenons | ZSP | Sunroof | Golf tee mod | Michelin PS4 | Stage 1 ECU reflash
fordy_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #73
bendoscopy

*DICKHEAD KLAXON*

I left my lights on all night and my battery went flat. According to my neighbours, my sidelights/angel eyes (plus rear lights) were on from 8pm until 5am. That's a pretty valiant effort from my battery.

Anyhow, the car obviously wouldn't turn over the next day. I left the car all morning, and came back to it at about 2pm. We planned to charge the battery off my girlfriend's Audi, but before we even hooked it up, my E46 started first time. We charged it anyway.

Took it out for a 30 minute spin, and noticed that the transmission and accelerator adaption values had all been reset. I've reset these before and always forget what a difference they make. The car felt GREAT. Pulling hard. I also noticed this morning that my usual kangaroo hopping when starting from cold had completely disappeared.

This led me to read through dozens of forum pages here and on bimmerworld about whether these adaptions gradually form over time, leading to a state of "granny driving" or whether they simply adjust constantly depending on your immediate driving style.

I'm going to try and pay closer attention to throttle and clutch in the next few days to see what happens.

Either way, the fact that I noticed the "reset" through the feel of the car before remembering that the reset even happens says to me that this adaptive stuff is a real thing.

I believe, Mulder.

Last edited by bendoscopy; 08-21-2017 at 10:33 AM.
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #74
YoitsTmac

Shoot, no auto lights? If you can run to a junkyard or something, you should get the faceplate off an LCM from a car with auto lights. Even though you don't have the sensor, I'm told (maybe tried myself?) that if you put the lights in auto, the lights will automatically come on (regardless of outside light) but act like real auto lights in the sense that when you turn the car off in this mode, the lights turn off too. Return to the car, and they'll turn on then. If you know any coding, I personally believe it works like this: The car is always sending 0 to the LCM as night time, since the feature was originally not even available. Then when the light sensor became standard on 330's it would send a 1 when it was daytime and the lights would be off. So although you don't have the sensor, it should work as the new way to turn your lights on and never have that issue again. I hope that makes sense, I know a lot of the time things make sense in my head but are hard to put on paper. In either event, happy to hear you like the new adaptions!
Old 08-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #75
bendoscopy

Peanut. Late '02 320Ci. Maintenance/mods updates.

Quote:
Shoot, no auto lights? If you can run to a junkyard or something, you should get the faceplate off an LCM from a car with auto lights. Even though you don't have the sensor, I'm told (maybe tried myself?) that if you put the lights in auto, the lights will automatically come on (regardless of outside light) but act like real auto lights in the sense that when you turn the car off in this mode, the lights turn off too. Return to the car, and they'll turn on then. If you know any coding, I personally believe it works like this: The car is always sending 0 to the LCM as night time, since the feature was originally not even available. Then when the light sensor became standard on 330's it would send a 1 when it was daytime and the lights would be off. So although you don't have the sensor, it should work as the new way to turn your lights on and never have that issue again. I hope that makes sense, I know a lot of the time things make sense in my head but are hard to put on paper. In either event, happy to hear you like the new adaptions!

No man thatís great info and makes sense. Thanks. Iíll certainly keep my eyes out for an alternative LCM.

I never usually leave my lights on as I have the audible warning when leaving the car with the lights left on. But this time round I had ignition off and sidelights on whilst testing angel eyes. Must have locked the car and gone to bed without thinking to flick the switch back to 0.

Schoolboy error!

Last edited by bendoscopy; 08-21-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #76
YoitsTmac

Happens to the best of us!

Edit: I did the same to my moms car in my first few weeks of driving, hehe

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 08-21-2017 at 06:35 PM.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:49 AM   #77
bendoscopy

Quote:
Happens to the best of us!

Edit: I did the same to my moms car in my first few weeks of driving, hehe
Had a quick look on Ebay - non-auto LCMs going for £10-£20, of which there are hundreds. Auto modules going to about £65, of which there are only two or three. Classic BMW parts pricing!

Also noticed that both auto LCMs have the light level adjustment wheel, which my car doesn't have (I've got xenons, which level automatically). Not sure if there would be compatibility issues there, as elsewhere on Ebay, some sellers have labelled their modules "halogen". Could be that xenon and halogen require different LCMs. But I bet that could all be fixed in coding, right?

Last edited by bendoscopy; 08-22-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:54 AM   #78
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Had a quick look on Ebay - non-auto LCMs going for £10-£20, of which there are hundreds. Auto modules going to about £65, of which there are only two or three. Classic BMW parts pricing!

Also noticed that both auto LCMs have the light level adjustment wheel, which my car doesn't have (I've got xenons, which level automatically). Not sure if there would be compatibility issues there, as elsewhere on Ebay, some sellers have labelled their modules "halogen". Could be that xenon and halogen require different LCMs. But I bet that could all be fixed in coding, right?
I would pull yours out and see if it's worth anything. If buying an entire LCM, you'll want 4.0 or higher to give you all features under the rainbow. You'll lose your auto adjustment with a halogen LCM - it's a hardware thing. I have a halogen LCM with my Xenons and I'm fine. Just depends on how important that leveling is to you.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #79
bendoscopy

Quote:
I would pull yours out and see if it's worth anything. If buying an entire LCM, you'll want 4.0 or higher to give you all features under the rainbow. You'll lose your auto adjustment with a halogen LCM - it's a hardware thing. I have a halogen LCM with my Xenons and I'm fine. Just depends on how important that leveling is to you.
Good call. So it seems that a LCM suited to xenons sells for about £25. I've found an auto LCM for £45, so that works out pretty good.

Honestly don't notice my headlight levelling apart from when I hear it calibrate on startup.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #80
YoitsTmac

I don't ever notice it either. It hasn't been missed. That f*cker just always wanted to break off anyway.