Thinking about a Remington 700 in 30-06 as my next acquisition - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Thinking about a Remington 700 in 30-06 as my next acquisition

Little bit of background. I've been shooting shotguns and light caliber rifles since I was a kid. Currently own shotguns and a muzzeloader - all purposely purchased for hunting and/or trap and skeet shooting. Years ago I toyed with the thought of purchasing a rifle for hunting but never got around to it. Now that I'm considering getting back into hunting (possibly elk hunting too), I'm considering the purchase of a rifle again.

The Remington 700 was always a rifle that stuck out to me as a solid performer and was highly renowned when I was younger. Is this still the case?

I'm leaning towards a 30-06 caliber due to the versatility of the caliber and the range of game that can be hunted. Not to mention, ammo is readily available almost everywhere ammunition is sold.

Any experience or opinions on the Remington 700? If I wanted to build up my own (stock, rings, scope, trigger, mag, bipod, etc.) while retaining the stock action and barrel, what would be a good 700 model for a starting base? Parts and their suppliers?

Alternatively, what other model rifles should I be considering that are on par with the Remington 700?

Any opinions on Black Ice coating?
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
I've been looking at a Remington 700 as well, specifically the Magpul Enhanced model chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

https://www.tacretailer.com/2018/11/...nhanced-rifle/

From what I've researched, the 700 is a solid rifle and a great entry into bolt-action.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreiŖig
What’s your budget?

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Follow me on Instagram: yippee_ki_dave
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Whatís your budget?
Was thinking no more than $1000 for the gun itself and then a nice scope separate. This gun will be more utilitarian than anything.
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Remington 700 is probably the best for a base rifle if you plan to do a build project. There are tons of options available and stocks galore. I would steer you towards the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .30-06 for caliber. The .30-06 is a great cartridge and it will drop anything in North America short of a bison. The problem you get is that it’s an old cartridge based on old ballistic principles, and it requires a long action. The 6.5 Creedmoor was selected as the new SOCOM sniper cartridge to replace the .300Win Mag. The 6.5 is ballistically superior to the .30-06 with a flatter trajectory and more downrange energy. It’s more utilitarian because you can use a lighter bullet for smaller game or varmint, heavier bullet for larger game (it’ll drop an elk easily), and you can use it for precision rifle competition if you so fancy. Ammo is getting more and more common, and it’s already commonly found in gun stores as well as online.

If you wanted to do competition someday, the Remington 700 PCR retails for around $900. The 700 Magpul is another option, and retails for around $860 online. Both would be perfect for PRS Production class. You have to shoot a 6.5mm or 6mm bullet to be competitive in most competitions.

If you don’t want competition, the 6.5CM is easier to shoot with less felt recoil then the .30-06. The flatter trajectory will mean that you have a higher hit percentage on game at longer distance.

As an alternative option, Tikka T3X is a great option for rifles. The quality of their rifles blows Remington out of the water, and they’re not much more expensive. The T3X CTR and Tac A1 are both excellent rifles.
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Learning Firearms
Firearms training and hosted shooting courses

http://www.learningfirearms.com/schedule.html
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Remington 700 is probably the best for a base rifle if you plan to do a build project. There are tons of options available and stocks galore. I would steer you towards the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .30-06 for caliber. The .30-06 is a great cartridge and it will drop anything in North America short of a bison. The problem you get is that itís an old cartridge based on old ballistic principles, and it requires a long action. The 6.5 Creedmoor was selected as the new SOCOM sniper cartridge to replace the .300Win Mag. The 6.5 is ballistically superior to the .30-06 with a flatter trajectory and more downrange energy. Itís more utilitarian because you can use a lighter bullet for smaller game or varmint, heavier bullet for larger game (itíll drop an elk easily), and you can use it for precision rifle competition if you so fancy. Ammo is getting more and more common, and itís already commonly found in gun stores as well as online.

If you wanted to do competition someday, the Remington 700 PCR retails for around $900. The 700 Magpul is another option, and retails for around $860 online. Both would be perfect for PRS Production class. You have to shoot a 6.5mm or 6mm bullet to be competitive in most competitions.

If you donít want competition, the 6.5CM is easier to shoot with less felt recoil then the .30-06. The flatter trajectory will mean that you have a higher hit percentage on game at longer distance.

As an alternative option, Tikka T3X is a great option for rifles. The quality of their rifles blows Remington out of the water, and theyíre not much more expensive. The T3X CTR and Tac A1 are both excellent rifles.

Thanks for the informative and concise response. Great information that gives me more to research. I'll definitely check out and consider the 6.5 Creedmoor for the reasons you listed.

Cost-wise, how does the price of ammunition for 6.5CM stack up against 30-06?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreiŖig
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

Thanks for the informative and concise response. Great information that gives me more to research. I'll definitely check out and consider the 6.5 Creedmoor for the reasons you listed.

Cost-wise, how does the price of ammunition for 6.5CM stack up against 30-06?

They’re comparable. 30.06 ammunition ranges from like $.65 per round all the way up to $2.50+.

6.5 ranges from like $.75 per round all the way up to $2.50+.

It obviously depends on what load you shoot. 30.06 is probably going to be a bit more available than 6.5, but I really mean on the fringes (a gas station bait and tackle shop in the middle of nowhere might have a box of the former, but not the latter). Any big retailer of worth or FFL should stock both at this point.

I’m with Reedo in this as well. I don’t own a 6.5 yet, but I will. And I have a 30.06, .308, and a 300WM. It’s a great cartridge from everything I’ve read.

If I were you, I’d look very closely at a Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) in 6.5. Strictly speaking, it’s not a basic gun and it probably isn’t as much of a hunting platform as it is a “tactical” one. Barrel length is 24”, which is maybe about 2” longer than standard for a 6.5. But it does have a folding stock, which makes it a little more compact.

Everything I have seen about that gun has been excellent. A buddy and I hit the range one day and he brought his. He had no difficulty whatsoever ringing plates at 1000 meters with it. It’s a sub moa gun with the right ammo.

They’re somewhere around $1000, maybe $1200. But you don’t have to replace anything on it; it’s gtg right out of the box. Trigger is excellent, chassis is good, has loads of adjustments, etc. Throw your preferred scope on it and go.

And when you’re not hunting, it’s an excellent gun for having fun at the range.

The guns Reedo mentioned are great as well, so look into those too. But do yourself a favor and have a look at the RPR in 6.5. It’s worth the look

Last edited by david05111; 02-19-2019 at 10:38 AM.
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Remington 700 is probably the best for a base rifle if you plan to do a build project. There are tons of options available and stocks galore. I would steer you towards the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .30-06 for caliber. The .30-06 is a great cartridge and it will drop anything in North America short of a bison. The problem you get is that itís an old cartridge based on old ballistic principles, and it requires a long action. The 6.5 Creedmoor was selected as the new SOCOM sniper cartridge to replace the .300Win Mag. The 6.5 is ballistically superior to the .30-06 with a flatter trajectory and more downrange energy. Itís more utilitarian because you can use a lighter bullet for smaller game or varmint, heavier bullet for larger game (itíll drop an elk easily), and you can use it for precision rifle competition if you so fancy. Ammo is getting more and more common, and itís already commonly found in gun stores as well as online.

If you donít want competition, the 6.5CM is easier to shoot with less felt recoil then the .30-06. The flatter trajectory will mean that you have a higher hit percentage on game at longer distance.

As an alternative option, Tikka T3X is a great option for rifles. The quality of their rifles blows Remington out of the water, and theyíre not much more expensive. The T3X CTR and Tac A1 are both excellent rifles.
Appreciate your expertise - very informative as always.

Those Tikka rifles look great...tempted to pass on the 700 for one.

In terms of ammo cost:

6.5 Creedmoor - $0.55/round - https://www.sgammo.com/product/selli...lier-bellot-sb

30-06 - $0.59/round - https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-06...rand-rifle-prv

Regarding the Ruger Precision, I checked one out in person and it seems like a solid option. Unfortunately, I wouldn't do it justice since my range caps out at 300M.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #9
Reedo302

Ruger RPR is a seriously legit rifle. Ruger designed it with input by Frank Galli of SnipersHide. It took the PRS Production class by storm, and numerous companies have followed suit.

I prefer Tikka because it is made by Sako. It is basically their “economical” line, but it’s more middle tier and is anything but economy in quality. If Sako were a car company and they were owned by Volkswagen group, Sako would be Porsche or Bentley, and Tikka would be Audi. If you take a Tikka and put it side-by-side with a Remington M700, and you start working the bolt, looking at the machining, and doing measurements and quality control inspection, you will see a massive gap in quality in favor of Tikka.

Learning Firearms

Old 02-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #10
Hobohunter

My Ride: Mustang GT
Year: 2016
Transmission: Manual
I picked up a Mossberg MVP Patrol in 7.62 X 51 for hunting this year. Working on sighting it in at 100 yds now, but so far I really like it. Not quite a .30 06 but I'm really enjoying it. Doesn't hurt that I live literally 5 mins from a massive outdoor gun range.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:41 AM   #11
Reedo302

.308 is a solid cartridge. Still very viable for LE and military use as a short and intermediate range cartridge, and for most North American big game hunting applications. Ballistically, there is not much difference between the .308 and .30-06 until you get out to very long ranges. At that point, there are better cartridges than both anyways.

Learning Firearms