Tesla Full Self Driving - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon, E92 M3
Tesla Full Self Driving

They have a new computer developed in house that can do 50 trillion operations per second and the software is still in beta.

Not in our lifetime, right?
Old 04-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
I feel like I've seen a very similar video a couple years ago. Maybe it was a Tesla "Autopilot" demo.

But props to them. How can I retrofit it to my company truck?
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Followed the law and stayed in the travel lanes too. Better than most drivers out there already.
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
trizzuth

My Ride: Best M5 ever made
ooooooh E46 at 31 sec!

2003 BMW E39 M5 - Current!
2001 BMW 330i - Totaled at 236K :(
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
trizzuth

My Ride: Best M5 ever made
P.S.

what happens when the Tesla is on roads where the lanes are not so distinctly marked?

2003 BMW E39 M5 - Current!
2001 BMW 330i - Totaled at 236K :(
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
That is very impressive, no doubt. But the thought of relinquishing all control of a moving vehicle scares the hell out of me, TBH. I can barely tolerate using cruise control unless I am on a long trip and highway traffic is light.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.--PJ O'Rourke
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
P.S.

what happens when the Tesla is on roads where the lanes are not so distinctly marked?
Software is in beta, gotta start somewhere but it'll only get better and more reliable as development continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
That is very impressive, no doubt. But the thought of relinquishing all control of a moving vehicle scares the hell out of me, TBH. I can barely tolerate using cruise control unless I am on a long trip and highway traffic is light.
A computer can sense, react, and respond much faster than you could ever hope to do. Every plane you're on is flown by a computer.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
They have a new computer developed in house that can do 50 trillion operations per second and the software is still in beta.

Not in our lifetime, right?
Definitely not in our lifetime.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
P.S.

It gets scary, I've been in the car when that happens.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #10
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
It gets scary, I've been in the car when that happens.
Software updates. They're leagues ahead of anyone else with their ability to pull training data from the fleet, and the volume of data gets bigger with each car sold and each mile driven. We're REALLY close to level 4 or 5 autonomy now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
This, I hate cruise control and never use it, I also hate being in a car as a passenger.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #12
Ettinger

My Ride: 4 doors, 3 pedals
https://github.com/commaai/openpilot
Ettinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #13
MachRc
Picture me rollin'

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
I feel like I've seen a very similar video a couple years ago. Maybe it was a Tesla "Autopilot" demo.

But props to them. How can I retrofit it to my company truck?
https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/20/wa...rk-on-its-own/

it was this one becasue I remember too

I trust it for urban city grids and highways. I just think it will be hindered by incompetent people who sue or misuse it and F it up for all of us.

I have not experienced autopilot but what would you guys use the time the car drives itself to work or home>?

putting on your makeup?
will probably be the number one use of it next to sleep,
and eating.

"Please God come and save me had to work with what ya gave me and got a _igga goin' crazy.
I can't read the signs I'm blind but a _igga know he needs his nine 'Cause times,... they ain't what they used to be...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: Something
I seriously question it's ability on unmarked roads or roads with heavy damage (ie Detroit).
Old 04-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #15
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
I seriously question it's ability on unmarked roads or roads with heavy damage (ie Detroit).
If the system has a learning function, downloads updated satellite mapping information, and is equipped with much-better GPS sensors, I don't see why not sometime down the line. I just learned there are GPS devices in use right now that are so sensitive and accurate, they can measure millimeter-level movements of fault lines... An accuracy that could be used to determine changes in topography equal to the growth of a human fingernail. A vehicle wouldn't need anything anywhere near as accurate or powerful to determine where a dropoff is, the radius of an unmarked curve, even to avoid potholes or adjust the suspension to handle it if unavoidable.

I wouldn't have predicted dirt-cheap affordable, home-based Star Trek-levels of computer wizardry five years ago, but I'm still discovering Echo skills that have automated my entire home, allow me to voice-schedule appointments and create shopping lists, can provide information on demand, and overall make life much different and easier for me (changing the wakeup from "Alexa" to "Computer" helps the illusion and amuses me no end)... Who knows where the state of the art will be for autonomous vehicles by this time next year, much less in five or ten years from now?
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #16
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Software is in beta, gotta start somewhere but it'll only get better and more reliable as development continues.

A computer can sense, react, and respond much faster than you could ever hope to do. Every plane you're on is flown by a computer.
Timely comment given the fact that Boeing computers have contributed to the deaths of 300 people in the past 6 months...
Old 04-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #17
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
Timely comment given the fact that Boeing computers have contributed to the deaths of 300 people in the past 6 months...
The computers did exactly what they were supposed to do. Some retarded engineer decided it was a good idea to feed a flight critical computer with a single sensor, and that's the root cause of the behavior. Well, on top of the fact that Boeing tried to fix an aerodynamic problem with software.

Even this new Tesla computer is fully redundant and has redundant cameras and radar as part of the sensor suite because if there's a single point of failure people might die.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 04-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #18
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Yep, engineers aren't perfect and the systems they create are not perfect, hence the Boeing issues and hence Tesla will have issues too. We already saw an Uber car decide that running over a human was the best course of action. Imagine the Uber car had redundancies as well, they just weren't perfect.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #19
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
Quote:
P.S.

The better question is why are the roads where the lanes are not so distinctly marked?
Old 04-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #20
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
The better question is why are the roads where the lanes are not so distinctly marked?
Because government. Once the mods move this thread to PT, you and I can hash this out.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.--PJ O'Rourke
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote