Manual Swap Connector Issues?! Quick fix - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
JTripper

My Ride: 3dirtyci
Year: 02
Transmission: 5 Speed
Manual Swap Connector Issues?! Quick fix

Recently Iíve undertaken the auto to manual swap for my coupe. As many of you know thereís a part of the swap that requires wiring. The clutch and brake pedals have sensors that need juice. For our e46ís there are 2 styles of sensors used on manual cars for rhe clutch pedal. The first version uses 2 sensors thst have 3 wires each, above and below the pedal, one with a blue top and the other pink/reddish. The second version of the clutch pedal sensor(s) is one flat sensor with 4 wires.

The second version is easier to wire in as its only 4 wires versus 6.
I of course have the first version, purchased in a swap kit put together. Iíll consider myself lucky as Iíve noticed in some swap kits the sellers like to debone everything which includes sensors and hardware. The kit i got had the 2 older sensors, but no plugs (connectors w/wires or Ďpigtailsí). Not everyone may reslize this till well into theboroject and may not have access to a spare parts car, as I did.
The 2 sensors utilize 3 wires and therefore need a flat 3 holed connector. My coupe has the factory 6 disc changer, where I found two plugs suitable. One plug is a flat 3 pin that needed just a snip with wire cutters (strong scissors will do too). The other plug is a 6 pin connector with an ďLĒ shape configuration of wires. I took my pick and pressed out the one on the side that was lonely & put it back in the empty slot in the row below. Then I (cut) dremeled off the completely empty side and sanded it down to fit.

And when looking for a female pin to use to connect to pin #23 in the ECU, use the homelink harness found in the little cavity behind the sun roof motor.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

@BMWorNADA
BMWCCA
///MPIREBOYZ#239
1st Gen. AC Schnitzer Strut Bar, M3 Face, Gunmetal VMR V710FF 18x8.5/9.5 , AEM Logger & longtube CAI, H&R Sport Cup Springs and Front Struts, Koni Rears, Reinforced Towers, Int. Trim Wrapped, Custom FX-R Retrofit , 3k Fogs, Frosted WeissLichts, 8 Track Player with Dolby.
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
cwaltz666

My Ride: 02 M3 Vert, 04 ZHP
this post right here makes me not wanna attempt this swap lol
@spicy_tunah <-- Instagram
cwaltz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
JTripper

My Ride: 3dirtyci
Year: 02
Transmission: 5 Speed
Trust me its not that bad, the prep that is... havenít started unbolting isht yet. Pray for a brotha! I sprayed the exhaust nuts a day in advance and bought studs and nuts just in case i have to dremel it off. I cant wait to start. Yesterday i got a call and have to fly out for family business, so everything has been put on hold.
Watch the 50ís kid and Shoplifetv on youtube, theyre pretty good tutorials, watch as many as you can from different ppl to gather the doís & donítís .

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

@BMWorNADA
BMWCCA
///MPIREBOYZ#239
1st Gen. AC Schnitzer Strut Bar, M3 Face, Gunmetal VMR V710FF 18x8.5/9.5 , AEM Logger & longtube CAI, H&R Sport Cup Springs and Front Struts, Koni Rears, Reinforced Towers, Int. Trim Wrapped, Custom FX-R Retrofit , 3k Fogs, Frosted WeissLichts, 8 Track Player with Dolby.
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote