DIY - Clutch Bypass (optional to Hidden Button) - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
Evilsmith

My Ride: 2004 Imola Red ZHP
Send a message via AIM to Evilsmith Send a message via Yahoo to Evilsmith
DIY - Clutch Bypass (optional to Hidden Button)

This started off as an easy and cheap DIY to make my clutch stop more effective. However, after reading all the DIY clutch bypass forums, I still couldn't find the right colors and managed to blow two fuses and waste about 3 hours. In the name of bringing it back to a cheap and easy DIY, I remade it. Hopefully this is more accurate:

TOOLS:

Phillips screwdriver
Wire Cutters/Strippers
Soldering Iron (Electrical Tape if you don't have one)
2-4 Feet of 22 or 23 gauge wire X2
1 switch (optional)

1. Remove the kick panel covering up the under-portion of the pedals. There are three screws on the very top holding it to the upper part of the console, a push/pull tab on the side next to the radio, a finger-twist screw all the way back behind the brake (This one is a 1/4 turn screw, so just turn it 1/4 of the way and pull), and two clips that are visible underneath the steering wheel on either side of it. The underside should now drop down. Disconnect the speaker, interior light, OBD port, and slide the panel out the front.

2. Push your drivers seat all the way to the rear and sit upside down with your feet on the seat. You should be looking straight up at the top of the clutch pedal (See fig. #1 below).

3. Locate the plunger that activates the clutch engage. It is the one that plunges in when you push the clutch all the way to the floor. There is a clip with three wires coming out of the back. The wires are violet/white (VI/WH), blue (BL), and brown/black (BR/BL). VI/WH is the power wire, BR/BL is the ground, and BL is the other half of the relay circuit. (See fig #1 below)

(IF you are going to be installing a push button, Pull the manufacturers wire tape off until it gets to a larger mess of wires. You are going to be running VI/WH and BL the opposite directions)

4. Cut VI/WH and BL, and strip the ends. These wires will need to be connected in order to complete the circuit. If you only intended to bypass the clutch sensor, connect the wires, solder (or tape) them up, and reassemble. You are done! IF you are making a hidden security button to start your car, continue to step 5.

THIS PHOTO IS UPSIDE DOWN TO CORRESPOND WITH HOW YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING AT IT!

fig. #1

5. Decide where you are going to put your button. Not only is the placement of the button important, but you have to take into account the type of button you are using as well. For example: if you put a push-on button in your car and place it on the right-hand side, you better have a spare right-hand because you need to hold the button in AND turn the key. However, if you are using a SPST (Single Pull Single Throw) switch, you can click it on, start the car, and click it off. I bought a standard push-on button and placed it in front of my OBD port. (See fig. #2)

6. Cut out a hole equivalent to the diameter of the button. On mine I used a 1/2 inch bit, but if you bought a smaller type switch I think you would more than likely use a 1/4inch. It's ok to make it a little larger, because there should be a larger covering around it. Place your switch, and thread the backing on to make it secure. (See fig. #2 & 3).

fig. #2

fig. #3

7. Strip both ends off of your two spare pieces of wire. Attach one wire to the VI/W wire and one to the BL wire. Place the kick-panel loosely on top of the pedals. Re-connect the speaker, OBD port, and interior light. Finally, connect the wires to either end of the push-button. Solder (Or tape) them firmly to the button. BEFORE PUTTING THE KICKPANEL ON check to see if it's working. If it is, finish putting the kick-panel back on and you're ready to go! (See fig. #4)

fig. #4

***********************REMEMBER*******************
Your car is going to start now even if it's in gear. Most people are smart and put their car in neutral before they get out and/or use a parking brake. However, not all of us do. I learned the hard way with a Mercedes and a tree in my yard. Please don't do this unless you think you can handle the responsibility it entails.

Last edited by Evilsmith; 03-27-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Evilsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
mikepbrooks

is this so you can change it so it is always on and then push it in and it is stock again?
mikepbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Evilsmith

No, its to change it from stock (Push in the clutch) to either always on or a hidden button that disables the car from starting unless pushed before turning the key
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Is there a way to disable modifying the DMS?
Old 05-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Evilsmith

I just did this to another car last week and used a switch instead of spst button, much less hassle to start the car.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
ZHPizza

My Ride: 2005 ZHP Coupe
You know you can just code this out in PA Soft?
Old 05-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
Evilsmith

I've never seen an option to add a starter switch in PASoft. Also please note my original post was 12 years ago, before PASoft was so prevalent.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
ZHPizza

My Ride: 2005 ZHP Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsmith View Post
I've never seen an option to add a starter switch in PASoft. Also please note my original post was 12 years ago, before PASoft was so prevalent.
Lol my bad I thought this was a recent discussion. Good on you for pioneering this for the forum back then!

Nowadays you can just go into pasoft and change the drivetrain option from us manual to automatic/euro manual and it removes the clutch switch requirement for starting.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
Evilsmith

Correct, but the other takeaway is a hidden switch or button that has to be pushed in order to start the car. After doing this mod with a button I forever had to be diligent about being at the end of the car wash conveyor to help the dudes start the car, cause more than once they had to emergency stop the conveyor while my car sat halfway out the exit cause I wasn't watching. One time three guys pushed the car to the cleaning bay. That's when I decided to switch from button to switch.

Last edited by Evilsmith; 05-19-2019 at 01:43 PM.